OllieP

Any rights when buying trade to trade?

Guys,

Would be very grateful for any advice in relation to a part exchange vehicle I bought from a franchised main dealer online via their online auction site.

I am relatively new to the trade and am still wearing the 'L Plates' in many ways.  The vehicle was bought because of its description both mechanically and bodywork, it was delivered to me via a contracted driver and upon arrival the engine top is covered in black gunk, it's chuffing and there is smoke coming from it.  After investigation it has ejected two of its injectors.  The garage believe it would have left the dealer in a state and all this didn't happen in just 70 miles owing to the sheer mess and how congealed the gunk is around injectors.

Do I have any recourse with the company?  Appreciate being a newbie I've technically bought via the ad and not by physically seeing the vehicle and should have refused delivery, but my partner accepted the car as I was away for the day.

Im set to loose badly over this one potentially, if anyone has any idea to rights that would be fantastic, if I've just got to suck it up then a massive expensive lesson has been learned!

Thanks in advance!

It's a trade sale so technically no recourse , however I'd get back in touch with them and explain your concerns, if they're a reputable dealer then I'm sure they'll listen and come to some arrangement (don't fall for the I'll make it up on the next one as this never happens) if not then unfortunately you've been shafted and you have to learn from it. Good luck.  

Thanks Phil.....I will try my luck with them, trying to do this venture the right way and buy from the right places.....life and cars are like a box of chocolates, I've learned this one quickly!

This is a definite problem with the online auctions, Which auction did you buy from?

They will often be checked over by a trainee sales rep and the descriptions are mostly cosmetic, i very much doubt they would pop the bonnet and check if anythings a miss and thats if they even knew what to look for....

They normally say on the adverts that no discussions will be entered once the car has been collected, so i would strongly recommend buying locally where you can and checking the car before driving off. 

It was from Sytner Max, thought it would be worth a try, did by another vehicle from the same dealer and all was spot on, so guessing it's down to whomever carries out the appraisal.

The problem as well is if you are using a transport company, they will just chuck the car on the back and off they go, if its being trade plated they will maybe check a little better to make sure its at least road legal but unless you know the guy collecting it for you then i am afraid you are gambling. The descriptions given are mostly the general body condition and if your lucky they will tell you if theres a warning light on or a bit of smoke etc but thats it.

Good question , I don't buy any from auctions so difficult to answer , but if the ad said all good 'mechanically' , and its only been driven 70 miles and the fault was there I would like to think you have a good claim as its been miss- described , I think a call to Lawgistics may help with the case ! Good luck ! keep us posted 

Out of interest, what car was it?  Whatever it was it sounds like a high mileage diesel with no history.

Personally I'd take that on the chin, how far are a main dealer really going to go appraising a vehicle of that age and mileage, I know it's crap and maybe they should that stuff through the auction and not online but they really just want rid of it asap?

As its trade to trade you don't really have a leg to stand on. Its worth ringing the dealer asking to speak to the DP for some help, I don't think you'll get far but sometimes I just like to get it off my chest when I feel I've been wronged. Also worth ringing the online auction company that listed it, was it dealer auction? It is a bit naughty if they've listed it as mechanically sound and they know full well it isn't.

I use to buy a fair bit from dealer auction but now very rarely buy anything, had a couple arrive that weren't as described so started collecting them myself then had a few expensive wasted days out collecting cars that were a long way short of the description. As I've talked to others about dealer auction they are slowly getting a really bad name because its seems main dealers think its fair game to "forget" to list faults and as more are getting away with it more seem to be "forgetting" obvious faults.

Edited by James Bush

got to be a Peugeot if its kicked its injectors out

this could have happened by the delivery driver or more likely bodged up to p/x and dealer not even aware

speaking to them costs nothing and i would have been on the phone as soon as problem found even if you get no joy its a lesson for all involved albeit your pocket getting the hammering,this job is always about us getting it from both ends innit

One of the  most important lessons I learned when selling cars was taking a loss and moving on from it. It happens from time to time. It happens less frequently now. Every so often you just get a pup. But you make sure you buy right next time. The profit is in the buying IMO you have to buy right.

You're so right.

Here's a little secret - keep it to yourself..... What you have to do is work out how much you could sell it for (but don't use your own judgement, pay for someone else to tell you what they think), then deduct your expenses, anticipated prep and overheads, then work out how much of a profit you want and take that off the total. Slice off a bit more just in case and what you have left is the actual buying price you should be aiming for. All cars will be available at that price with no competition or adjustment for spec, condition etc.

This revolutionary way of buying stock is all the rage, don't you know?

I think we should call it "Retail Less" or something...

Anyway, I'm right, you're wrong and that'll be £2k per month by Direct Debit with a 90-day cancellation period, please.

You're welcome.

You're so right.

Here's a little secret - keep it to yourself..... What you have to do is work out how much you could sell it for (but don't use your own judgement, pay for someone else to tell you what they think), then deduct your expenses, anticipated prep and overheads, then work out how much of a profit you want and take that off the total. Slice off a bit more just in case and what you have left is the actual buying price you should be aiming for. All cars will be available at that price with no competition or adjustment for spec, condition etc.

This revolutionary way of buying stock is all the rage, don't you know?

I think we should call it "Retail Less" or something...

Anyway, I'm right, you're wrong and that'll be £2k per month by Direct Debit with a 90-day cancellation period, please.

You're welcome.

Wow, that's Razor sharp.

Out of interest, did this car have a decent bit of history?

If it's seriously covered in gunk under the cover then the injector(s) have been blowing past for sometime, certainly more than 70 miles and should have been audible even to a non-technical appraiser. Unless you have a relationship with the sales manager/DP I doubt they'll entertain your complaint at all seriously but it's worth an ask. Then wipe your mouth and move on