Sign in to follow this  
JA Trader

Holding Cars for customers ?

Had really strange couple of inquiries about a few vehicles i have had for sale over the past few weeks always over the phone and generally sound the older generation.

People asking for me to store the car for them for 2-4 weeks offering to leave large deposits sometimes over 80%. Various different reasons my pcp doesnt go back she hasn't passed her test ETC.

My question is does anyone offer anything along these lines to customers ? Do you charge for it  ? If so how much ?

I have stuck with no at the moment as we don't have space to have a car sitting around that long and i also could do with 100% now

Has anyone else ever had this.

Got plenty of space so np for me. If they pull out I keep the deposit. I hope they do back out.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Mojo121 said:

Got plenty of space so np for me. If they pull out I keep the deposit. I hope they do back out.

Suppose that is the perfect situation. Good to see it isnt just me getting this strange request. How long are you willing to hold it for  ?

36 minutes ago, JA Trader said:

Had really strange couple of inquiries about a few vehicles i have had for sale over the past few weeks always over the phone and generally sound the older generation.

People asking for me to store the car for them for 2-4 weeks offering to leave large deposits sometimes over 80%. Various different reasons my pcp doesnt go back she hasn't passed her test ETC.

My question is does anyone offer anything along these lines to customers ? Do you charge for it  ? If so how much ?

I have stuck with no at the moment as we don't have space to have a car sitting around that long and i also could do with 100% now

Has anyone else ever had this.

Pay  in full or nearly in full? I would take the money.

1 minute ago, Rory RSC said:

Pay  in full or nearly in full? I would take the money.

Unfortunately for us at the moment it does not make sense. We have space for around 10 cars and are pretty much always full so cant warrant having a car sat there for two weeks taking up valuable space.

2 hours ago, JA Trader said:

Unfortunately for us at the moment it does not make sense. We have space for around 10 cars and are pretty much always full so cant warrant having a car sat there for two weeks taking up valuable space.

Take the money on the proviso a reasonable chunk is non-refundable, then tax it for a month on DD and park it safely IMO your crazy not to accept. 

Edited by Arfur Dealy

Any deposit is always taken whats going on here? Waiting a couple of week surely won't hurt as you might buy stock and then it sticks around for months whats the point in that?

3 hours ago, JA Trader said:

Suppose that is the perfect situation. Good to see it isnt just me getting this strange request. How long are you willing to hold it for  ?

Depends on what their reason is and how much they're willing to leave. I work on £200 a week as a rough guide.

• Like 2

so you have a car

someone cant get all their funds at once because they are locked in some bank etc scheme

and you wont take the money because you dont want to hold the car for a few weeks to 4 weeks

just wow

there must be another trader etc you know or even uncle bob where you can stick it up his drive until the day comes

ive never turned money down if its a cert

1 minute ago, jason doyle motor sales said:

so you have a car

someone cant get all their funds at once because they are locked in some bank etc scheme

and you wont take the money because you dont want to hold the car for a few weeks to 4 weeks

just wow

there must be another trader etc you know or even uncle bob where you can stick it up his drive until the day comes

I had a bloke the other day say he was surprised I didn't get funny because he asked me to keep a car for him for 10-12 days. Keep your £200 and have the cambelt change paid for readvertise for more and sell it in a day? No, no bother at all sir.

Fuck me, take the money then worry about storage.

• Like 1

Once had this with a customer who although paid in full kept dragging his feet about collection, order form now states will store car for 14 days following sale foc, then £35 per week storage charges apply. .   

2 minutes ago, Willoughby said:

Once had this with a customer who although paid in full kept dragging his feet about collection, order form now states will store car for 14 days following sale foc, then £35 per week storage charges apply. .   

That my friend is an important comment , people do treat us as a storage unit sometimes . I have the same clause in our terms /conditions too .

I had a guy a while ago who waited two weeks then emailed me to say he was leaving the car till the end of the following month for taxing purposes , Wont save anything was my reply as you will incur storage charges for the month that's equal to the tax :) fetched it next day :rolleyes:

• Like 1

Very interesting to hear other peoples thoughts on this and i definitely think i will be more flexible going forwards.

I particularly like Arfur idea of taxing it and leaving it sat on the road near my house (Not an issue for me as its a quite cul de sac but there has been an increase of tax check vans around here lately.

41 minutes ago, Willoughby said:

I think this would be my main fear store it for a week maybe two is okay but i wouldn't want it to drag on

13 hours ago, jason doyle motor sales said:

so you have a car

just wow

When you say it like that it makes me sound unreasonable. Ill definitely consider it next time.

15 hours ago, Arfur Dealy said:

Take the money on the proviso a reasonable chunk is non-refundable, then tax it for a month on DD and park it safely IMO your crazy not to accept. 

This is genius and i cant believe i didn't think of it myself.

Thanks !!!

1 hour ago, JA Trader said:

I particularly like Arfur idea of taxing it and leaving it sat on the road near my house (

This is genius and i cant believe i didn't think of it myself.

Thanks !!!

theres a flaw in this plan that you need to check out carefully

you would need to put the car on the mid and its possible depending on your insurer that they would not pay out if it was damaged/totalled,certainly my old insurer LV would only let me put cars registered to my name/trading account before they would insure

12 minutes ago, jason doyle motor sales said:

theres a flaw in this plan that you need to check out carefully

you would need to put the car on the mid and its possible depending on your insurer that they would not pay out if it was damaged/totalled,certainly my old insurer LV would only let me put cars registered to my name/trading account before they would insure

Our broker is pretty good we have an online access to mid and can add and remove vehicles as we go. Not sure if they would be insured parked on the road though ill have to check.