Casper

Border cars

Hi guys been reading in the background for months now lot of sensible conversations and nice decent guys here I wish you all years of success 

looks like Border cars is going to be another dealership gone we seem to be losing a few with Tom Vehicle sales and rental last year and now Border cars also noticed lookers are closing and selling a few of there showrooms seems the motortrade has went down hill in the last 10 years

I personally have been involved in the motor trade on and off for years due to ill health at times so do some part time - back to full time again soon 

Im hearing a lot of guys saying its tough times at auctions etc and no where near as good as it was many years ago 

Whats all your thoughts  

Edited by Casper

Noticed a lot more dry spells this year... where before there were 10 days straight where it felt very quiet that's extended to 3 week to full months of feeling very quiet. Not good.

Then you have a month where you sell a load only to lose the profit made to niggly warranty claims.

You only have to look at the amount of due diligence you need to do in this job (paperwork, PDI etc) and the many variables to see why it's hard.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tradex said:

Check out the big boys profits to see the real story. 

Will do it still seems a shame for the smaller staff down the food chain with wife's and family to support I guess as you say the big boys at fhe top of the tree always come out smelling of roses with any company calling it a day not just motor trade related 

27 minutes ago, Casper said:

Will do it still seems a shame for the smaller staff down the food chain with wife's and family to support I guess as you say the big boys at fhe top of the tree always come out smelling of roses with any company calling it a day not just motor trade related 

By the way- welcome Casper and thanks for the introduction!

There's a fair few big names down here on the South Coast that are hurting too. I'm amazed that Westover got bought recently by Hendy - so I guess they at least must be an attractive proposition.Who knows.

I wonder how we'll all look back on the 2015-2020 period in a few years time.  Any previous era and words like 'squeeze, crunch and recession would maybe have been mentioned?'

Or maybe it's just the transition from actual to virtual business a-la Amazon.

Edited by NOACROSS
  • Like 1

Its very tough up here in Yorkshire, i fear for those garages both large and small with huge dept , stocking plans etc ....the next 3-5 months will see many go bankrupt im afraid.

Our industry profits are horrendous, not sustainable .....

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, tradex said:

I meant the complete opposite:D, the likes of Lookers, Pendragon are making fuck all on investment. 

And the amount of debt they are servicing is scary. 

The problem with this game (and always has been) is that when the goings good, many are tempted to take on debt, with money makes money mentality. But, this game can turn on a sixpence and a bad 3 month run can be the ruin of a car sales. 

The longer you (well I and those I know with many years in) do this job, the more conservative you get, having seen it all before. 

Sorry get what you meant now . 

And yes I agree the debt is scary over the last 20 years I've always tried to keep mine at a manageable level only working for myself and subcontracting work out to a local garage and self employed mechanic which seems to have worked  

but at the auctions all I'm hearing is ticking away or quiet or up and down.worst its been in years etc

I also would like to take a moment to wish fellow traders on here years of success 

Edited by Casper

5 hours ago, Holmfirth Cars said:

Its very tough up here in Yorkshire, i fear for those garages both large and small with huge dept , stocking plans etc ....the next 3-5 months will see many go bankrupt im afraid.

Our industry profits are horrendous, not sustainable .....

Not sure I share you fear. They chose to take steroids when the rest of us went to the gym and eat lettuce, we all know who the types I'm talking about. Feck em is what I say.

• Like 1

I was concerned by Lookers about 18 months ago when they started putting auction Px’s on stocking plans and not taking them off until 3 days after the car was sold and paid at auction.

We have noticed a lot of main dealers service departments (except BMW with their recall nightmare) are quiet as they are taking near next day bookings.

There are also some dealers supplying new at zero margin just to hit target.

5 hours ago, tradex said:

And 4k minimum px on Zoe:o another must have electric golf trolley. 

:lol::lol:

16 hours ago, Contracts said:

We have noticed a lot of main dealers service departments (except BMW with their recall nightmare) are quiet as they are taking near next day bookings.

I know someone who services workshop equipment. However this person is a bit of a bullshitter.

Anyhow the other week he was telling me he was at a large Ford main dealer. He claimed they had nowt booked in - not a single car on a lift. I thought this sounded like bullshit, perhaps not??

18 hours ago, BHM said:

:lol::lol:

I know someone who services workshop equipment. However this person is a bit of a bullshitter.

Anyhow the other week he was telling me he was at a large Ford main dealer. He claimed they had nowt booked in - not a single car on a lift. I thought this sounded like bullshit, perhaps not??

Can't  get anything booked in at main dealers round here without being quoted about 2 week wait.

Off topic but does it not drive you mad when you try and book something in at a main dealer and can't speak to someone in the actual dealership and just get put through to a call centre remotely :angry:

21 minutes ago, Rory RSC said:

Can't  get anything booked in at main dealers round here without being quoted about 2 week wait.

Off topic but does it not drive you mad when you try and book something in at a main dealer and can't speak to someone in the actual dealership and just get put through to a call centre remotely :angry:

Or they say they will call you back and never do 

phoned Volkswagen dealership last week to book a golf gti in for its first 12k 2 year long life service I phoned them back 3 times left my details and still no call back used another branch of the same dealership network the service woman was lovely and the car was booked in. In minutes 

Border cars had been in trouble for a few years, their old accountant fleeced them for a lot of money and as the owner also was doing some dodgy deals not much was done, border cars even were taking deposits upto the day they stopped so the man who owns it is a criminal, he has now set up a new company in his daughters name.

sorry for the staff and losing their jobs but the man himself had it coming.

3 hours ago, Dan W said:

Border cars had been in trouble for a few years, their old accountant fleeced them for a lot of money and as the owner also was doing some dodgy deals not much was done, border cars even were taking deposits upto the day they stopped so the man who owns it is a criminal, he has now set up a new company in his daughters name.

sorry for the staff and losing their jobs but the man himself had it coming.

Its the staff I always feel for I've actually noticed a few dealers closing..and wondered if it was a sign of the times. 

I noticed at the start of the year Hardie of Larbert were closing there doors too .. probably about now as the director said it would take a few months to wind down think that was more to do with Peugeot want him to spend a fortune to keep  on upgrades for the  franchise ..

as there changing there Stirling branch to suzuki 

The same also happened with a Peugeot dealer called Ladyacre Lanark up here in Scotland . Ive also noticed his other company Ross of Lanark are no longer a Vx franchise .