tradegirl

How far do your customers travel?

8 hours ago, BHM said:

A phone call from a local punter “wanting a look” fills me with despair :lol:

Haha, exactly that! Or those who still have to sell theirs before buying another car, but want to have a look anyway. Why?!

10 minutes ago, tradegirl said:

Haha, exactly that! Or those who still have to sell theirs before buying another car, but want to have a look anyway. Why?!

If that isn’t a PX opportunity, I don’t know what is?

3 minutes ago, Mark101 said:

If that isn’t a PX opportunity, I don’t know what is?

or a future customer even if this one isn't for them

its all about the attitude in this job

10 minutes ago, jason doyle motor sales said:

or a future customer even if this one isn't for them

its all about the attitude in this job

Hmm...I got schooled again.

I always assumed if people want to px they'd volunteer it? I don't know, maybe some people would rather sell privately.

I've never denied someone a look, but on the flipside those who have "just looked" and those who haven't had the cash ready, has never come back.

No, some punters are embarrassed by their current car and assume you won’t want their car. 50% of them are right (punters with an 05 Megane they value at £500) but 50% of the time there’s a few quid to be had - quite often a £100-200 p/x piece of shit can be bulled-up & MOTed for similar money & turned into a nice little £999er for the ‘lamppost warranty’ market.

Plenty on here won’t get out of bed for less than a £3000 wage but I’d be more than happy to get a p/x snotter every day of the week.

I’m sure the lads selling lumpy cars get some lovely p/xs as well.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BHM said:

No, some punters are embarrassed by their current car and assume you won’t want their car. 50% of them are right (punters with an 05 Megane they value at £500) but 50% of the time there’s a few quid to be had - quite often a £100-200 p/x piece of shit can be bulled-up & MOTed for similar money & turned into a nice little £999er for the ‘lamppost warranty’ market.

Plenty on here won’t get out of bed for less than a £3000 wage but I’d be more than happy to get a p/x snotter every day of the week.

I don't mind what we sell if there's a few quid in it. A PX for £100 and you sell for £500 / £1000 is a great feeling. 

8 hours ago, Rory RSC said:

I don't mind what we sell if there's a few quid in it. A PX for £100 and you sell for £500 / £1000 is a great feeling. 

I love a PX.  Best to date £100 in, one week in stock plus a wheel bearing and £1500 out, best ROI ever.

Also on stickers, I will over value a PX and lose it in the margin on the retail car, another good reason to aim for proper margins - every other dealer offers £100 scrap and you offer £500, they aren’t going anywhere else. 

9 hours ago, BHM said:

Those selling lumpy stock are not netting 3k on every car, those here who constantly brag are talking BS.

It does happen occasionally but to expect it as the norm, not a chance on under 20k cars. I’d rather have five 4K cars with 1.5k - 2k in them and spread the risk. 

1 hour ago, Mark101 said:

I love a PX.  Best to date £100 in, one week in stock plus a wheel bearing and £1500 out, best ROI ever.

Also on stickers, I will over value a PX and lose it in the margin on the retail car, another good reason to aim for proper margins - every other dealer offers £100 scrap and you offer £500, they aren’t going anywhere else. 

I had an XTrail last week in PX for £1000, in 24hours it was gone at £2700...... I luvs the bangers.....

9 hours ago, Rory RSC said:

Bang on... easy money 

• Like 1

Well I will definitely remember that next time. 3 bangers we had in as px sold quickly and well, and with a tidy profit.

I find people with nicer cars, want near retail money for theirs.

1 hour ago, tradegirl said:

Well I will definitely remember that next time. 3 bangers we had in as px sold quickly and well, and with a tidy profit.

I find people with nicer cars, want near retail money for theirs.

Customers always generally want too much for their part ex, but just remember, other dealers aren't going to be offering retail money either.

You need to keep away from overly discussing the part ex allowance and talk about the cost to change. 

Around here there are some dealers who's prices are eye watering, I generally undercut them by £500-£1000 sometimes.  Of course they can offer £200 more for the part ex car, but the cost to change is still going to be more.

On the flip side, I do enjoy it when the customer starts a conversation with " I don't suppose mine is worth anything?" or "Really, you would take it back in part ex?".  

ive just offered 500 big ones for a smoking focus i valued at 100 and he still walked:D

Just sold a 2005 Impreza STi via eBay, to a dealer based in N.Ireland  (I'm on the Essex coast). Met him in the car at Stansted and he drove it back to the Ferry at Hollyhead... 

On the flip side, another buyer said that Hertfordshire to Essex is "just too far" to travel for a mint Audi TT! 

Edited by premi-motor

34 minutes ago, premi-motor said:

On the flip side, another buyer said that Hertfordshire to Essex is "just too far" to travel for a mint Audi TT! 

i agree with him

if it was say silver its not too bad but a mint coloured one hmm

Just now, jason doyle motor sales said:

i agree with him

if it was say silver its not too bad but a mint coloured one hmm

LOL! Terrible!

11 hours ago, CRW said:

Customers always generally want too much for their part ex, but just remember, other dealers aren't going to be offering retail money either.

You need to keep away from overly discussing the part ex allowance and talk about the cost to change. 

Around here there are some dealers who's prices are eye watering, I generally undercut them by £500-£1000 sometimes.  Of course they can offer £200 more for the part ex car, but the cost to change is still going to be more.

On the flip side, I do enjoy it when the customer starts a conversation with " I don't suppose mine is worth anything?" or "Really, you would take it back in part ex?".  

Where are you based please? Local dealers to me have massively over inflated prices and just today I had a woman telling me she'd been offered so much more by the other garage blah blah blah. I wonder sometimes do they actually sell anything or just hope that customers turn up that have no idea about market prices. 

13 hours ago, CRW said:

Jesus, I need to go on a sales course. Why am I being schooled as if I've never sold a car before? WHY have I never thought of what you've just said??

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tradegirl said:

Jesus, I need to go on a sales course. Why am I being schooled as if I've never sold a car before? WHY have I never thought of what you've just said??

:) The current margins up here with most dealers seem to be happy with 1k-1500k per car obv the odd one maybe do between 2k-3k on some cars .

But the majority of the guys I know and associate with are happy with that on the old px it's probably a £500-600 mark up as you all say 4 £995 cars a week week happy they sell too with people looking for cheaper transport . TG I thought you were learning for the best on here lot of guys and girls with a lot more knowledge here than us I Guess.  Remember in the car trade every days a school a day .

the cost to change thing has been a well known one for years across main dealers and training manuals etc and is  one of the most important factors .

Edited by Casper

9 hours ago, tradegirl said:

I mean here on the forum you can be given the recipe but without the right knowledge you just can't come up with the sauce. 

@umesh might be worth a PM for details of some of the IMDA masterclasses that help with sales and stuff. Theres loads of youtube videos learning how to close a sale, read buyer signals etc etc its all there if you look for it.

On 31/07/2019 at 9:34 PM, Dealer said:

Where are you based please? Local dealers to me have massively over inflated prices and just today I had a woman telling me she'd been offered so much more by the other garage blah blah blah. I wonder sometimes do they actually sell anything or just hope that customers turn up that have no idea about market prices. 

Down in the far west of Cornwall. Always considered the most expensive place to buy cars!  Its actually quite heavily populated with dealers around here, so the competition is quite fierce! I cant compete with the pricing I see in the Midlands, simply due to the logistics and transportation costs of getting the stock down here. I get so bored of customers telling me they have seen the same car for £500 less 200 miles away. I simply explain they are welcome to burn £100 worth of fuel travelling to view something that far away.

With regards to the local dealers who over price, it doesn't seem to matter to most people as the dealer has them "on the hook" with the last finance deal. They simply re-jig the repayments and the high windscreen price is forgotten.

On 31/07/2019 at 11:23 PM, tradegirl said:

Not quite sure how to interpret that response!

...re P/Ex, had someone on an 12 plate E250 Coupe, 53k, Retail at £10,200.

I'm at £8995.

He then wants a p/ex against a no-MOT 2001 Golf V5. He says he's "valued" my car on WBAC plus then wants way over that on his... I didn't even want his POS.

Imbeciles. The lot of them...

On 02/08/2019 at 1:28 PM, CRW said:

Not quite sure how to interpret that response!

I meant that genuinely. Sometimes I read things on here and think "why don't I know that already?" I SHOULD know these things and I don't. That's the way it was intended :) it wasn't sarcastic or aggressive or anything!

On 01/08/2019 at 9:10 AM, Rory RSC said:

I mean here on the forum you can be given the recipe but without the right knowledge you just can't come up with the sauce. 

@umesh might be worth a PM for details of some of the IMDA masterclasses that help with sales and stuff. Theres loads of youtube videos learning how to close a sale, read buyer signals etc etc its all there if you look for it.

Thanks Rory. I've often thought of going on a course. I know some traders know all these things naturally, but I clearly don't. I'll find out the masterclasses, thank you.

On 04/08/2019 at 11:00 AM, tradegirl said:

I meant that genuinely. Sometimes I read things on here and think "why don't I know that already?" I SHOULD know these things and I don't. That's the way it was intended :) it wasn't sarcastic or aggressive or anything!

That's fine tradegirl, I just read it both ways and wasn't really sure.  I think the few techniques I use are pretty basic, don't pounce on them the minute they arrive, but don't ignore them either. I just nod my head, say hello and leave them for a couple of minutes.  If they are still there then is the time to approach. Control the conversation, but don't be too pushy,  and get them sat down and away from their part ex as that reduces their emotional attachment to it.  They think more clearly when they aren't looking at their dearly beloved (knackered) old car!  

I often reward the nice customers who don't ask for a discount or quibble about the price, by throwing in an extended warranty or chipping £100 off the price.  I already had them on the hook, the deal was done, but that gesture will stick in their mind for next time.  

Edited by CRW
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, robertus said:

2 months ago I sold a car that was exported to Italy! But usually my buyers are people who live approximately 1 hour away

would it not make sense to move nearer them then to save them the long distance journeys?

Edited by jason doyle motor sales
12testing

I should have phrased this better: how much does location affect sales? A car advertised in an affluent area like Bromsgrove vs a car advertised in a not so affluent area like Walsall (Birmingham and the Black country have a lot of shady traders and goings on), will the customer be put off by the location?

I know it's quiet almost everywhere, but I'm worried that advertising cars in Walsall isn't helping.

25 minutes ago, tradegirl said:

I should have phrased this better: how much does location affect sales? A car advertised in an affluent area like Bromsgrove vs a car advertised in a not so affluent area like Walsall (Birmingham and the Black country have a lot of shady traders and goings on), will the customer be put off by the location?

I know it's quiet almost everywhere, but I'm worried that advertising cars in Walsall isn't helping.

Depends on your take on it.I would see it as a trader in Walsall with good reviews and feedback will stand out more so than the bad ones so push every customer for positive feedback.

Ultimately having cars people want, means that people will travel for them and you will sell them irrespective of where you are. You are in a hugely populated area with lots of people looking for cars at any given time.

Use image sliders, video, website, advert text every single thing you can to say buy from me i'm a good trader not one of these bad ones.