Sign in to follow this  
Max Branning

Fix it or trade it

I think we have all been here..

Buy at auction everything looks rosey..probably paid a bit too much but its immaculate...1 owner...fsh...dream..

Get it back to the ranch only to find out needs a new set of injectors and possibly some other stuff not fully diagnosed yet..but looking at around 1k estimate to make it retailable...

So..do we stick it back in the auction and hope we get our money back or there abouts or do we get the work done and retail it knowing that we break even at best......decisions decisions......

I'd say if you can still see a small margin at the end of it & if you have the time etc then I'd carry on, if not then get rid. What is it out of interest so I don't pick it up haha!!

Have you got your own workshop? If your paying someone else to sort it I doubt its worth while but if you can sit on it as a project it maybe ok. I'm guessing its a diesel, if so its rare to have all 4 injectors need replacing, maybe one and the other can be sonicly (?)  cleaned. Half the problem is the once you put a spanner on it your commited to following it through. Maybe call the last owner and get some info. 

I think we have all been here..

Buy at auction everything looks rosey..probably paid a bit too much but its immaculate...1 owner...fsh...dream..

Get it back to the ranch only to find out needs a new set of injectors and possibly some other stuff not fully diagnosed yet..but looking at around 1k estimate to make it retailable...

So..do we stick it back in the auction and hope we get our money back or there abouts or do we get the work done and retail it knowing that we break even at best......decisions decisions......

Bin it mate!

What's the best way to "move it on" and get something reasonable back anyway? Don't the auction houses charge massive fees if your not chucking hundreds of cars through per month? Ebay auction is the only thing that springs to mind , but even then doesn't SOGA still apply or you can just say "Spares or repairs"? 

Had the same thing last month.....Merc B-Class auto, got it back and after MOT'ing, servicing and the rest of the prep it came up with the dreaded "transmission fault visit workshop". After a few days of agonising it went back to auction where it lost me £650 after fees and all other costs or I could have had it repaired at around £800 - £1200 and hope to have broken even. My thoughts were I can turn that money around a coupe of times while I was just waiting for it to be repaired.

the best thing to do is sit down and write down all different ways to move the dog with associated costs

retail

trade on

back to block

ebay

be realistic and once decided keep the ship on course

good luck i think ive bought a bone im off to collect tommorrow:wacko:

Its always the 1 owner cars that are screwed. buy a car with a few more owners and its fine. Been there got the T shirt!

Its always the 1 owner cars that are screwed. buy a car with a few more owners and its fine. Been there got the T shirt!

the ones that had the private plate i find,always out of their tree once youve bought and driven them,owners can peel an orange in their pocket cars