Sign in to follow this  
Dealer

June Trading Activity

1 minute ago, James01 said:

This is spot on. It has always been feast or famine in this job but as long as the sales come it doesn’t matter when or where from. 

I also enjoy the odd quiet week, I can get out on the golf course without the Mrs chewing my ear off! 

Yet another case in point. This time yesterday I had three appointments for today. 

Now i have none, the last one cancelled just now after the other two cancelling yesterday. I’ve had a lie in and i’ll be down my unit for about midday to do a bit of paperwork. I’m gutted that there’ll be no sales today as I need them but what can I do. Just have to take it as it comes. 

16 hours ago, Lakeside said:

It’s months like this I’m glad I have another business to back me up. Sold one so far and not even any calls or viewings on the others, oh apart from one guy that rang me on a Tuesday evening trying to make me promise not to sell it to anyone else as he couldn’t view until the following afternoon. I’m definitely coming he said, I’m not a time waster he also said. Guess what? Never showed up.

Do you ever ring them and remind them of what they said? Love it when they answer :lol:

A few folks have mentioned not doing weekend or awkward viewing times, if you can afford to choose then great, but i'm guessing quite a lot of dealers in this current climate cant so it's surprising when on one hand people say they wont do it but then come up short for the month and say its quiet , i always thought logic said that if you were retailing cars the negative part of earning good money was that you gave up your weekends, or part of a weekend, or evening:(

granted we can all smell a messer on the phone and don't want these loons about on any day let alone a sunday morning, but if joe blogs cant view until awkward o'clock because of work etc then he's  usually the right man and worth the hassle, good chance he can pay for it for starters! its no different to me only being able to visit an high street on a sunday isn't it..

when i was full on retailing i would say a good 60% of my sales were evenings or weekends, for various reasons.

some have called me mad down the years for being so flexible, iv'e had bods on site at 2am before(pre-paid), been sat at airports 6am picking up customers, iv'e delivered cars 200+miles at night just because iv'e had a home for the juicy p/ex. strange thing is that these were in times when the job was easier anyway so did not have to do the mad stuff, but with the job being so tight now i would of thought its now essential?

that old motor trade saying - the harder i work the luckier i get;)

15 hours ago, Arfur Dealy said:

On 11 so far.. With an AT average at 9, I can't get them listed quick enough  :)

i thought you were quiet on the forum, Well done on the numbers

1 hour ago, Blenheim Car Sales said:

i thought you were quiet on the forum, Well done on the numbers

Thanks

2 hours ago, awc1000 said:

some have called me mad down the years for being so flexible, iv'e had bods on site at 2am before(pre-paid), been sat at airports 6am picking up customers, iv'e delivered cars 200+miles at night just because iv'e had a home for the juicy p/ex. strange thing is that these were in times when the job was easier anyway so did not have to do the mad stuff, but with the job being so tight now i would of thought its now essential?

I wouldn't say Essential but certainly helps if you do small stuff that many other dealers won't. Here is a typical deal of mine, conducted almost entirely on What's App, the £11800 car has been held for an Irish chap (Declan) for a few days on just £100 card deposit, the balance of the payment by bankers draft! I am collecting him from Heathrow (just 20 min away) tomorrow early evening.

He said out of 5 other dealers he spoke or texted NOT ONE would hold the car for a small deposit, NOT ONE would accept a bank draft and NOT ONE would collect him from a nearby airport. AT Retail price 11000, CAP retail 11000, my price to him £11800 and he is happy to pay it, also with a bank draft in his hand there is NO chance for chipping on it whatsoever. 

7 minutes ago, Nick M.K. said:

I wouldn't say Essential but certainly helps if you do small stuff that many other dealers won't. Here is a typical deal of mine, conducted almost entirely on What's App, the £11800 car has been held for an Irish chap (Declan) for a few days on just £100 card deposit, the balance of the payment by bankers draft! I am collecting him from Heathrow (just 20 min away) tomorrow early evening.

He said out of 5 other dealers he spoke or texted NOT ONE would hold the car for a small deposit, NOT ONE would accept a bank draft and NOT ONE would collect him from a nearby airport. AT Retail price 11000, CAP retail 11000, my price to him £11800 and he is happy to pay it, also with a bank draft in his hand there is NO chance for chipping on it whatsoever. 

Ha Ha Nick,be carefull with the bank draft.When you ring Declan’s bank to verify his bank draft,they will usually say yes they have issued him a draft without confirming the amount.A while ago the scam was to get a small amount by bank draft and then use a forged one on handover....Not many people using bank drafts theses days.

Declan will make a rubbish scammer as in addition to leaving a debit card deposit, today he sent me an image of the bank draft which his bank AIB did indeed verify (including amount), a copy of his passport, a copy of his fly BE boarding pass so I think he is legit :-) I just wish he didn't call me Ken in that text message: 

IMG_6498

1 minute ago, NOACROSS said:

Why can’t Paddy pay by transfer?

To me that doesn't matter. 

I am happy with his payment method, he is happy with it, both our banks are happy with it. Haven't taken one for years so feeling a little nostalgic but if he can risk flying two turboprops (NOC-EDI and EDI-LHR) to get to me I can certainly chance a bank draft. 

7 minutes ago, Nick M.K. said:

Declan will make a rubbish scammer as in addition to leaving a debit card deposit, today he sent me an image of the bank draft which his bank AIB did indeed verify (including amount), a copy of his passport, a copy of his fly BE boarding pass so I think he is legit :-) I just wish he didn't call me Ken in that text message: 

IMG_6498

nice one nick, noticed he's from sligo so he's a southerner, guess he'll be wanting the full v5 for the vrt?? if your familiar with selling into southern island great (which you probably are) if not ask away anything you need to know, iv'e sold quite a lot into southern island in recent years, i'm aware of all the potential pitfalls on the regulations

A few folks have mentioned not doing weekend or awkward viewing times, if you can afford to choose then great, but i'm guessing quite a lot of dealers in this current climate cant so it's surprising when on one hand people say they wont do it but then come up short for the month and say its quiet , i always thought logic said that if you were retailing cars the negative part of earning good money was that you gave up your weekends, or part of a weekend, or evening:(

granted we can all smell a messer on the phone and don't want these loons about on any day let alone a sunday morning, but if joe blogs cant view until awkward o'clock because of work etc then he's  usually the right man and worth the hassle, good chance he can pay for it for starters! its no different to me only being able to visit an high street on a sunday isn't it..

when i was full on retailing i would say a good 60% of my sales were evenings or weekends, for various reasons.

that old motor trade saying - the harder i work the luckier i get;)

1 minute ago, awc1000 said:

nice one nick, noticed he's from sligo so he's a southerner, guess he'll be wanting the full v5 for the vrt??

I think so, that's fine by me as long as he signs the export slip from the logbook, there is no VAT in this deal so fewer pitfalls. 

I have never had an issue with a draft and taken plenty of them over the years. 

3 minutes ago, Nick M.K. said:

I think so, that's fine by me as long as he signs the export slip from the logbook, there is no VAT in this deal so fewer pitfalls. 

sounds all good:D dvla will tell you to hand over full v5 anyway, you probably don't need advising but be over fussy with your paperwork.

even when he's paid and left there is one dodge which can still bite you, it's unlikely but can be common.

sadly on top of the 11800 he's giving you he will be due irish vrt tax once he's home, on 11800 its likely to be circa 4000-5000 euro's on top+ there ridiculous road tax, yep its fooking savage, here lies the dodge - they get three months on entry to present the car for irish registration, failure to do so can lead to the car being lifted if seen in use, so in certain circumstances the customer cant meet the vrt duty after maxing out on the purchase, at this point it's not unusual for the customer to admit defeat have a change of heart and sell the car back into the u.k market, its then obviously running about with no tax and someone is holding a full v5 for it, any comebacks cameras etc will land on you first regards ownership, sorry if it sounds negative but as you can imagine it can become grief...photocopy and date time absolutely everything, even his license.;)

The vehicle is electric hybrid with 44 g/km emissions so I am assuming he is buying it for it’s low VRT. 

Edited by Nick M.K.

5 minutes ago, Nick M.K. said:

The vehicle is electric hybrid with 44 g/km emissions so I am assuming he is buying it for it’s low VRT. 

any idea how much he's paying on that 44g/km car nick at 11800? just interested...

27 minutes ago, trader555 said:

Interesting to know how many others communicate via whatsapp?

Now and again. Depends on the punter. I would normally speak first and if they continue dialogue on WhatsApp that’s fine. We’ve spoken, they’re just more comfortable by text. No problem. If it’s all text and badgering about cost they can take a jump.

1 hour ago, awc1000 said:

any idea how much he's paying on that 44g/km car nick at 11800? just interested...

Less than his plane ticket here by the looks of things...  

Screenshot 2019-06-24 at 16.47.55

Edited by Nick M.K.

1 hour ago, trader555 said:

Interesting to know how many others communicate via whatsapp?

Whatsapp, text, carrier pigeon, I don't care. Timewasters will ring, text and email. As will genuine customers. It's 2019 and this is how some people communicate.

34 minutes ago, Nick M.K. said:

Less than his plane ticket here by the looks of things...  

Screenshot 2019-06-24 at 16.47.55

that's not too bad, bit of a shocker the original omsp!

looks like they are being fare and i guess have to be seen to be with it being electric, 

also worth noting is that about 4 years ago the irish announced a strange move, they suddenly decided that if a car had originated from the uk and had incurred vrt on entry too ireland - if it were to leave again /come back here you could claim back a proportion of the original entry vrt bill lol, madly the next owner here could do this and not necessarily the current irish owner / exporter, at the time it didn't justify doing on most stuff but certainly did on range rover / range sport for a while when they were still strong money here. worth knowing if a client wants to drive a p/ex this way in the future:rolleyes:

AIB bank draft,good luck with that,I once had a business account with them before they imploded.They used to make it up as they went along.If anyone would stop a bank draft etc .....Declan sounds like Dougal out of Father Ted,remember him.

10 minutes ago, trade vet said:

AIB bank draft,good luck with that,I once had a business account with them before they imploded.They used to make it up as they went along.If anyone would stop a bank draft etc .....Declan sounds like Dougal out of Father Ted,remember him.

The Allied Irish Bank is 71% government owned, 

I don't see a single problem with this deal. 

These long distance deals are my easiest, most profitable, with fewer to no comebacks and still generate a lot of referral business. Considering that Declan will arrive after 6pm I will probably treat him to a dinner at our local pub. Should make a nice little story for my Facebook page...