Sign in to follow this  
GentlemanJames

Bought a car on DA... wouldn’t allow short test drive?!

A first for me...!

Anyone else had that issue before?

Was told by the sales manager as if I was stupid; “you wouldn’t get to test drive the Bca ones” to which I replied that’s why I buy from DA so we can check they are what they are described as...

Only an old Ford Focus from the Hampshire area but didn’t expect that and very suspicious of a car if they won’t let me drive it. Margins are tight - need to test drive surely?!

not mentioned I can’t test drive on their advert either

I walked away.... and know which garage to avoid now. 

I think I've bought over 150 cars through DA - never had that problem before!

Yes, did have this once. Left the car and told them to do one. Rang DA but they couldn’t care a less 

Please share and shame so we all know not to buy from there. 

28 minutes ago, GentlemanJames said:

The good folks at Portsmouth VW... 

Thanks. Now on my avoid list. 

29 minutes ago, GentlemanJames said:

The car in question had 3/4 tank of diesel in the pictures.... often a sign!

This is always a good sign something with the car. 

Eh? You expect a test drive when buying by auction?

I was wondering that? I never get or expect test drives, what would you do if you crashed it on the pitch

Edited by andymc1973

10 minutes ago, andymc1973 said:

I was wondering that? I never get or expect test drives, what would you do if you crashed it on the pitch

an own goal?:D

I buy most of my stock via D/A. There are a couple of vendors that I have looked at that don't allow test drives but they put this in T&C's.

I wouldn't entertain bidding however cheap with no T drive.

There are others who try to make it difficult but you have to be firm with them

OP you did the right thing to walk away

We also buy from DA.

Cars are paid for prior to collection as normal but we insist on thorough inspection and short test drive when we get there just in case. Definitely worth doing as one of the first cars we purchased from there had a gearbox issue, noticed and re-negotiated based on this for £800 discount. Had we have just drove from site they wouldn't have even discussed it.

OP, I would've done the the same 

34 minutes ago, andymc1973 said:

i just start them up and take it away, it's an auction

I used to for the first few years, had a few burn me, clutches, gearboxes, wheel bearings, eml's popping up etc, then started asking to pop it round the block.

Now a lot of the time the prices are in line with bca (or often even higher) I think it's even more important to test them. Especially if you've got to drive the thing 100+ miles back!!

Fairplay to the op, I would have done the same!

17 minutes ago, andymc1973 said:

after a while you get to know who you can trust (no fucker)

In a nutshell Sir... in a nutshell...

Only ever brought a couple of bits of dealer auction and they all neaded more prep than described and then look at you as though you have just sworn at them when you pull them up on it, so don't bother with it now. They want top dollar for but can't describe it properly which is either done through incompetence or deception at least if you attend an auction in person at least you can see it running even if it's only in 1st which is a shame as I would like to buy more stuff online but I am not confident in the descriptions of the stuff I buy.

3 hours ago, David Horgan said:

:o No Reverse :lol:

Auto corrected it :lol:

Even BCA try to insist sold as seen i did tell them there is no such thing and if the condition has deteriorated since the photos are taken then sold as seen doesnt stand.

Should be a review system on DA....... Never will happen though as they are all in it together to rip us guys off for as much as they can. 

This is what happens when you have to little competion in the trade supply of vehicles

Sorry for a stupid newbie question, but what is DA (dealer auction), what is this, where is it held? Not sounding that attractive from the above comments, but always good to know what’s what ;)