jamslug

Need some serious advice. Can you spot a fatal flaw in this?

Ok, I have been caught out on a too goo to be true deal in the past (i'm not going in to that now), so I am always extra cautious. 

A girl phoned me from London (we are in south devon) and wanted to get propped for finance on a £10,200 BMW convertible. She was on full time benefits so got declined. 

She phoned the next day saying she had the money and she can transfer it over. 

She has done a bank transfer for a £500 deposit , no problems there. 

She has also agreed to pay for delivery as she doesn't want to make the journey. 

There has not once been a query into service history, condition, mot status or anything like that at all. She is just happy to transfer the money and have the car delivered!

I have told her that we do not accept card payments over the phone so must transfer the balance with a bank transfer. I have also asked for a copy of her driving licence and also a copy of her mums driving licence as she wants the car to get put in her mum's name. 

The problem is...... well there is no problem in my opinion but I keep thinking that it is too good to be true, so it probably is. I am curious if any of you guys can see a fatal flaw in this?

Thanks, 

James 

• Like 1

James

I agree it sounds too good to be true. I'm sure you have thought about these anyway but maybe best to check with the bank to see that the transfer has come from the name of the account holder, if she pays by card payment that is a nightmare, we almost got caught by a fraudster on a £4500 quad a few years back it was a stolen card  that didn't show up straight away. The only other thing is , if it is all ok the problem you will have distance selling and all the potential can of worms that can cause with any defect on the car even 12 months down the line, you are right to tread with caution! Best of luck

Jim

That is exactly why I am cautious is because I DID get caught with that. 

I will call the bank now to make sure that the money came from the correct place. 

Thanks so much Jim, 

James 

I agree with you all tread with caution but don't rule it out because you never know, once payment is received tell them that you're delivery company can't deliver it for 7 to 10 days, by that time if it's a fraudster the payment should of been already debited out of your account. Also make sure you get them to sign a letter to confirm that the goods are as described and advertised just to cover the DS laws. 

Good Luck 

I sell a fair few like this and are always amazed how easy they are to deal but it always tends to be a younger buyer that is a bit more trusting of the internet, paying for something and then having it delivered etc but I always tread with caution. Can't you have a chat with the finance company that declined them to see if there's anything you should be worried about?

I ask for full name and address, copy of driving licence, recent utility bill and their job details (which you can't do on this occasion). I then check details against driving licence and call their company and just confirm they work there, I also just do a quick facebook search for them. I'm probably a bit OTT but if the customer is genuine I've never had an issue with them supplying everything I ask for. I will only take payment via bank transfer and will only let the car leave once cleared funds are received.

Most seem genuinely grateful I've bothered to deal with them because I think most companies would toss the enquiry as a timewaster but if I ever get the slightest whiff of a rat I offer to pay for their train journey for them to come and visit me. 

D'you know what?

I probably wouldn't do the deal. There are so many ways this could bite you in the ar$e.

If it's a scam, then you're (obvs) better off well away from it.

If it is genuine (and my waters tell me otherwise - paying full retail, wanting finance on benefits, suddenly has the money!?) then what you are selling is clearly desirable enough for someone to want to buy it, unseen, from hundreds of miles away. Therefore, there's a good chance that there's another potential buyer, a lot nearer, with a retailable PX, wanting finance, who's gonna come back to you for servicing and will recommend you to their F&F. For me to even consider it, this person would need to be paying cash, provide proper ID and also needs to collect it from our premises.

No brainer for me. I'd make a commercial decision to sit tight.

Thanks for all this response. Very happy with the comments that are coming through. 

I have spoke to the bank and the terms and conditions of a faster payment is that the transaction can not be recalled, cancelled or amended once in my account. So apparently when it is in , it is in , and can't go anywhere else without my permission. 

I do want to avoid the distant selling rules (I don't even know what those are) so might offer to pay for a train ticket for her to come and collect it. 

Its good that you're cautious ! we all have to be too many scammers out there !

I also understand the fast pay cannot be recalled or reversed so if money arrives its safe to say its yours ! 

Train over to yours and you're laughing all the way to the bank .. :) good luck keep us posted ! 

Yep my bank also confirmed when the monies in my bank it can't be recalled reversed etc un-like a credit/debit card.

The one bit of distance selling to really worry about is they have 7 days after receiving the goods to reject them for whatever reason and ask for a refund........but I was at a networking meeting a short while ago and was chatting to our local trading standards about distance selling laws and there is a paragraph about distance selling laws don't apply if the goods are tailor-made or personalised so her assumption would be, although nobody has ever challenged it that as long as you tax the vehicle before delivery this is personalising it and therefore the act wouldn't apply - it'd take a brave man to argue it!!!

I sold a car 2 months ago to a client in Milton Keynes (I'm in Somerset) They didn't want to drive down but wanted the car. I'm quite lucky as I have a mobile payment terminal so my delivery driver trailers the car up (more professional I think), customer inspects car and once happy payment is taken after. 

If it wasn't for this then I wouldn't do it. Getting the train from London to Devon is not difficult! 

Yep, we would probably dismiss it, one of the reasons why we stopped advertising with AT (apart from the obvious reason we stopped)was we don't want to be be holding to someone dictating what should happen to a faulty car and who should mend it! 

With credit/debit cards we was told that the transaction is much safer and more in our favour against fraud if customer has been present at time. Over phone is very dodgy so it's £100 deposits over phone only for us!

If it looks like a duck, swims like a duck, and quacks like a duck, then it probably is a duck.

I think you would be quakers to deal this.

I think you would be quakers to deal this.

But as he's in Devon, he'd be more likely to be Plymouth Brethren, wouldn't he?

..I'll get my coat.

• Like 1

I would Google there mobile number, there email address ..... I would street view there house to make sure it exists and see what car is in the drive .... We use fast payments for cars and it is true it's as good as cash. However I would always go with my instinct, so if you think it's a con then leave it.

What a fantastic response from the brotherhood! 

Here is the update so far. She has emailed me a copy of her driving licence, I have facebook stalked her and she is a normal girl that does normal things. There doesn't seem to be any hidden identities or anything. I have offered to cover the cost of a train fare to eliminate those pesky distance selling regulations and she is happy to come and collect the car from my premises. 

The hand over should be on Saturday. 

I will keep all mah homies in the loop. 

Fingers crossed and remember never judge a book by it's cover, Explore all avenues to get the sale and it aint over till the fat Lady sings or the monies in your bank. 

D'you know what?

I probably wouldn't do the deal. There are so many ways this could bite you in the ar$e.

If it's a scam, then you're (obvs) better off well away from it.

If it is genuine (and my waters tell me otherwise - paying full retail, wanting finance on benefits, suddenly has the money!?) then what you are selling is clearly desirable enough for someone to want to buy it, unseen, from hundreds of miles away. Therefore, there's a good chance that there's another potential buyer, a lot nearer, with a retailable PX, wanting finance, who's gonna come back to you for servicing and will recommend you to their F&F. For me to even consider it, this person would need to be paying cash, provide proper ID and also needs to collect it from our premises.

No brainer for me. I'd make a commercial decision to sit tight.

GG You raise some very valid points! Alarm bells would always ring for me if someone on benefits 1)Wanted a £10k car 2)Wanted finance to pay for it 3)When refused credit could all of a sudden afford £10k while on benefits. This is not a sweeping statement about people claiming benefits in general but coupled with the sold 'unseen' factor and that they don't want the car in their name either, would spell trouble to me! Would suggest a nefarious lifestyle that you's probably do well to avoid but that is just an opinion. 

What a fantastic response from the brotherhood! 

Here is the update so far. She has emailed me a copy of her driving licence, I have facebook stalked her and she is a normal girl that does normal things. There doesn't seem to be any hidden identities or anything. I have offered to cover the cost of a train fare to eliminate those pesky distance selling regulations and she is happy to come and collect the car from my premises. 

The hand over should be on Saturday. 

I will keep all mah homies in the loop. 

.......AND?

Wh'appen?!!!! 

(Please excuse my poor use of slang, I was unable to attend the last couple of 'StreetSpeak' Evening Classes, so missed the chapter on Modern Use of Abbreviations and Apostrophes)

I thought you'd chartered a private jet to escape on your Joll's GG?