Sign in to follow this  
Ek cars

clio 2006 dci red eml light and stop light and reduced power

This things ended up coming back at me once engine heats up it starts flashing up stop and the red stop engine management light illuminates and struggles to accelerate just got it tonight so will hopefully try and rectify the fault tomorrow before plugging in, any ideas gents?

Edited by Ek cars

1.5dci? if its done the miles its usually diesel pump and injector related from experience.

1 hour ago, tradex said:

Well, that's not much to go but we do love a Mystic Meg guess here....I'll go with worn injectors and/or HPP too.

Cam sensors like to fail when hot, just to muddy the waters.;)

PS if the engine cover was missing when bought.....

My guess is glow plugs/relay.

its probably still on original exhaust and a baffle might have collapsed you dont notice problems like this till 5 miles into a journey

just a thought

I am going to get glow plugs checked 1 by 1 on Monday for continuity also going to take off egr valve and check and clean aswell as replace fuel filter and fill tank with some diesel v power and a bottle of injector cleaner stp stuff and hope it improves.

2 hours ago, Ek cars said:

I am going to get glow plugs checked 1 by 1 on Monday for continuity also going to take off egr valve and check and clean aswell as replace fuel filter and fill tank with some diesel v power and a bottle of injector cleaner stp stuff and hope it improves.

Are you going to get a diagnostic check carried out first?

35 minutes ago, tradex said:

Save your money regarding the injector cleaning snake oil;)

Don’t underestimate it. It can’t perform miracles but I once stuffed 4 bottles of Wynn’s & a gallon of diesel into a 160,000 mile 2.2 diesel Rav 4 that was smokey as f*** & kept going into limp mode. 

After a 25 mile Italian tune-up no more limp mode & slightly less smokey. I know it won’t rebuild 160K mile injectors but it was enough to move it on to its next greedy owner.

Answer is easy really, plug it in or play parts darts and waste money ;)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Dave2302 said:

Answer is easy really, plug it in or play parts darts and waste money ;)

This

no fancy plug in gizmo would find a blocked muffler

yesterday i had a car rejected because it had a tingly noise on the test drive

6 drives up the road later ( customer gone) and two full inspections underneath i started looking for faults on the bodywork as after various analogies no one could confirm where noise was coming from

it was windy and wet

i found the aerial made of fibreglass had slightly delaminated and in the wind a strand was hitting the rest of the aerial and this was drumming through the roof

can you even imagine finding this on a warranty problem?

later in the day i had a body control ecu issue ,turns out after 4 hours an smd has failed in the speedo head but mileage is stored in the head so i cant swap out and the board is so small i cant put another smd in i had the whole dash in bits to get to this ,no plug in gizmo would find it

just sayin.............

Hmmmm in this case the OP said there was a light on, if a light is on READ IT !!

An Exhaust flows Air, I reckon that Fuel Trim Data and Airflow Data would indicate a blockage, also pressure sensor readings on a DPF equipped weasel ;)

Of course the operator would need to know what Airflow and trims he should be seeing, and that I'm afraid only comes with years of experience :D

Edited by Dave2302

99% of the time the EML is your friend but sometimes you have to revert to pulling off wires here & there or, God forbid, playing parts darts.

So much for modern computing power - funnily enough in all my years I’ve never had to remove a diesel injector (the occasional bottle of plop on a mega mileage turd but that’s all) but I've currently got a 2010 Mondeo who’s management software doesn’t even recognise it’s on 3 pots - anyone with the gift of hearing can tell it’s not right from 10 feet away. 

8 minutes ago, BHM said:

sometimes you have to revert to pulling off wires here & there

LOL :lol:

My god that is such a pet hate of mine, and has absolutely no place on the modern motor car ;)

What do you hope to gain by that ????????????

It proves nothing, all it does is puts a whole bunch of "red herrings" in there which means for the Car owner at least an extra hour or 2 work by the professional that ends up having to fix it :lol:

21 hours ago, Dave2302 said:

What do you hope to gain by that ????????????

Haha, I was waiting for you to comment. Anyhow the answer is simple; to identify the faulty injector.

You SHOULD be correct but Ford’s management system doesn’t realise the injector’s knackered. The solenoid’s clicking but the injector’s not firing so I guess that’s why the software thinks everything’s ok. Sometimes you have to revert to the old ways.

/\ /\ /\ like

Ha ha ha, I should have known better, yes of course, you are quite correct, that will be about the one and only time that it is worth doing, an Electrically good injector with a Mechanical Fault ;)

Of course, I know you will have cleared out the codes after testing :P

I had to do the same on a Kia Sportage a few weeks back :lol: 

Edited by Dave2302

Don't unplug a modern diesel engine with Piezo Injectors in...... :o

Otherwise if you didnt want to put an injector in it.... chances are you wont want to put an engine in it either :lol: