Sign in to follow this  
Del Boy

2011 BMW 320i Issue

As the title says. I’ve got a BMW 320i with a random misfire issue. Changed all the plugs and coils.  The misfire keeps moving around randomly and sometimes not at all! I drove it about 20 miles the other day and it was perfect! Then all of a sudden...random misfire again. No other codes stored apart from the cylinder(s) with the misfire. 

Has anyone come across this before? Thanks 

I think that is way to random for anyone to pin point, i had a clio do that once and turned out to be a snapped spring on the lifters, why it kept moving we put it down to being french. 

1 minute ago, Grantlfc81 said:

Timing chain mate. Send me the chassis and I will see if it qualifies for recall

Hmm. I was worried it might be this! It doesn’t rattle or make any noise though? Or does that not matter? 

Vin: WBADV52010E653935

Doesn’t matter, I’ll let you know shortly 

Yes needs all 3
-Timing chain check(at dealer) will be classed as a Brake retrofit check. Will be a free timing chain install.
-Battery cable. (Extremely urgent car can cut out mid driving and lose all power. I’ve hard this twice.
-Blower wiring (can catch fire)
Can do the wiring Monday.

Have a good weekend gents.

27 minutes ago, Grantlfc81 said:

Yes needs all 3
-Timing chain check(at dealer) will be classed as a Brake retrofit check. Will be a free timing chain install.

I’m intrigued... what’s this all about then? Is it just the petrol engined ones of a certain age? 

Hi mate, yes, virtually all of the petrol 4 cylinder engines suffer from timing issues.  25% of the ones we buy need new timing chains. Some get done under warranty.

11 hours ago, Grantlfc81 said:

Yes needs all 3
-Battery cable. (Extremely urgent car can cut out mid driving and lose all power. I’ve hard this twice.

Hi Grant, how did you find out what it needed by the VIN, do you have a connection with BMW ?

12 hours ago, Grantlfc81 said:

Hi mate, yes, virtually all of the petrol 4 cylinder engines suffer from timing issues.  25% of the ones we buy need new timing chains. Some get done under warranty.

How do you know which ones are needing done under warranty

13 hours ago, Grantlfc81 said:

Well ill be jiggered, we've done a number of these and never realised. There must be a mileage/time limit?

Ive given up with the main dealers, after we had a 60k BMW  X1 2.0d go in 1 week out of warranty, for a extremely rattly chain on cold start up that they wanted us to pay them to put new tappets in!

Always use Sytner if you have one anywhere near you.

They have a dedicated team that will chase Bmw to authorise warranty work if it’s required and if the car is near the warranty parameters. You might need to pay some contribution but usually a small %

15 hours ago, Grantlfc81 said:

Yes needs all 3

Spot on !! Good Call ;)

36 minutes ago, Nick M.K. said:

Always use Sytner if you have one anywhere near you.

Best of any main dealers for all of makes. 

17 hours ago, Grantlfc81 said:

Yes needs all 3

Thanks for looking into this Grant - however I have just spoken with my local BMW who tell me the only recall outstanding s for the drivers airbag, not the chain :(

Have you scanned the car?

Have you got a code with no EML: "DeNOX Catalytic converter sulpherised"? 

Edited by Nick M.K.

Yeah its been scanned loads to times - it just says misfire and the cylinder, which keeps changing

1 minute ago, Del Boy said:

Yeah its been scanned loads to times - it just says misfire and the cylinder, which keeps changing

Very odd. 

No Nox sensor or DeNox cat codes is unusual on these. Always seem to have them. 

3 minutes ago, MarkTVS said:

Were these cars not bad for injectors aswell?

Yes apparently so - im thinking this is my next port of call, dont wanna be playing anymore parts darts though, especially if it turns out to be the chain!

Just now, Del Boy said:

Yes apparently so - im thinking this is my next port of call, dont wanna be playing anymore parts darts though, especially if it turns out to be the chain!

I had issue with one years ago, I cant remember the ins and out but I had to replace all 4 with genuine BMW items as the aftermarket ones were crap. Might be worth checking if all injectors look the same incase one or two have been changed before.

7 hours ago, Del Boy said:

Thanks for looking into this Grant - however I have just spoken with my local BMW who tell me the only recall outstanding s for the drivers airbag, not the chain :(

It’s 100% timing chain mate..... you can try everything you want, the timing chain has stretched and there is nothing you can do about it. I’ve given the chassis to my man and has confirmed the recalls....

Yes, it won’t stretch again after, just give me chassis and I can get what recalls are required.

its the ‘brake retrofit’ which is code name for timing chain you need to look out for.

there is 3 or 4 recalls on BMW’s between 2007-2011 

batery cable to ecu melting

timing chain

Air con blower 

And one more but I’m hungover so can’t think

42 minutes ago, Grantlfc81 said:

Yes, it won’t stretch again after, just give me chassis and I can get what recalls are required.

its the ‘brake retrofit’ which is code name for timing chain you need to look out for.

there is 3 or 4 recalls on BMW’s between 2007-2011 

batery cable to ecu melting

timing chain

Air con blower 

And one more but I’m hungover so can’t think

Hi Grant - what can you tell me about this please?

WBAUD72070E414016