Sign in to follow this  
Max Branning

MOT before or after sale ?

If a car has a known issue get it fixed when it arrives but as I sell stuff that can hang around a while do the service and MOT only once sold, when we go on a test drive I tell the customer its not yet been serviced so if the customer comments on anything - "it pulls to the right a bit", "exhaust sounds a bit noisy" - easy to say it will be checked properly and attended to prior to the handover. ...... but do see if different if you have people turning up wanting to pay and take stuff away....    

52 minutes ago, Willoughby said:

If a car has a known issue get it fixed when it arrives but as I sell stuff that can hang around a while do the service and MOT only once sold, when we go on a test drive I tell the customer its not yet been serviced so if the customer comments on anything - "it pulls to the right a bit", "exhaust sounds a bit noisy" - easy to say it will be checked properly and attended to prior to the handover. ...... but do see if different if you have people turning up wanting to pay and take stuff away....    

am i reading you right

you will go on a test drive where car dangerous because its pulling to the right or the exhaust is blowing etc etc?

if i have read it right you want to be very careful because it only takes one customer to make a complaint and then ts come down mob handed all with their lanyards flying and go through your stock even down to mm on tyres and wo betide if anything advertised to the public where you are doesnt have say an mot or a bald tyre

ive seen them do a pitch ok he deserved doing but thats not the point

read what arthur dealy put

no you are not reading me right - since when has a car needing its tracking checked or perhaps a possible exhaust rattle of blow when the engine is cold been dangerous ......I've been in the trade for over 30 years and touch wood have never had any contact from trading standards or a solicitor - so must be doing something right... calm down dear....

8 minutes ago, Willoughby said:

no you are not reading me right - since when has a car needing its tracking checked or perhaps a possible exhaust rattle of blow when the engine is cold been dangerous ......I've been in the trade for over 30 years and touch wood have never had any contact from trading standards or a solicitor - so must be doing something right... calm down dear....

I knew what you were getting at mate. You’re saying that if the punter “hears” something or is looking for monsters under the bed, you can reassure them with “don’t worry, we’ll get that looked into and sorted for you no prob. Leave a deposit and it will all be sorted for your handover”

yeah, don't have an on site mechanic so if a customer isn't quite happy about something or think something isn't quite right  ...(even if you're pretty sure there's nothing wrong) no need to try and talk him around happy to say we can get it checked out properly by a third party when its serviced and MOT'd....... 

I’d say get it checked and MOTed by the third party as soon as it comes in. 

The customer might get a MOT shorter by a month but the peace of mind that your compliance will bring you far outweighs the tiny inconvenience for them. 

Conversely.

If you had the car Mot'd 2 months before sale what safety checks are you doing prior to the vehicle leaving the forecourt?

As we all know calipers can sieze and springs break on a stationary vehicle. 

If I were ever in a legal situation where I was asked when the vehicle had it's Mot I would feel better saying a couple of days before collection rather than a few weeks.

I am no mechanic. But looking at the Lawgistics PDI pads apart from emmisions there doesn't look too much else that isn't in the Mot. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

So getting the PDI and service done when the vehicle comes in and Mot when sold works for me.

Edited by David Ayers

33 minutes ago, David Ayers said:

Conversely.

If you had the car Mot'd 2 months before sale what safety checks are you doing prior to the vehicle leaving the forecourt?

As we all know calipers can sieze and springs break on a stationary vehicle. 

If I were ever in a legal situation where I was asked when the vehicle had it's Mot I would feel better saying a couple of days before collection rather than a few weeks.

I am no mechanic. But looking at the Lawgistics PDI pads apart from emmisions there doesn't look too much else that is in the Mot. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

So getting the PDI and service done when the vehicle comes in and Mot when sold works for me.

Eh? 

75% of the stuff in the Lawgistics pads are MOT items. Brakes, suspension, lights, tyres and yeah, emissions. 

I try and get any obvious cosmetic and mechanical (certainly safety related) issues sorted immediately.  I am debating the MOT thing as I did an MX-5 ready for sale, sat around for a month so agreed a new MOT at the asking price (thought only £30) - guess what, broken spring - it does happen (or more likely missed during prior MOT).

To be fair, if someone will not wait two days for a car, do I really want them as customers?  Wonder how impatient they would be during a warranty claim.

Only becomes an issue when selling to someone far away (remember my Punto seat thread?)  Guy travelling 160 miles each way, twice as it needed an MOT - still bought it though.

Edited by Mark101

3 hours ago, Nick M.K. said:

I’d say get it checked and MOTed by the third party as soon as it comes in. 

The customer might get a MOT shorter by a month but the peace of mind that your compliance will bring you far outweighs the tiny inconvenience for them. 

Plus cashflow pay for it and gone on the day. Think how much quicker your stock turn can be.

Less chance for customer to go and get cold feet.

Springs break. They don't happen that often on cars that are being sold. We once put something through an MOT in the morning of collection and the spring broke as the customer drove off site literally just failed and in neither the MOT or previous PDI check had anything been noted. Shit happens a new one got fitted and we probably delivered the car FOC or chucked a bit of fuel in to smooth things over can't recall.

It’s 2019. 

The customer’s patience is measured in minutes not days. 

Have the cars FULLY ready to go and pride yourself on the speed of service and ruthless efficiency, customers appreciate that just as much if not more than full 12 months MOT. 

• Like 1

Every car ready to go serviced / MOT if required... Most of them not worried if it's got 9/10 months MOT on collection. Think I had one last year who wanted 12 months it had 9 but willing to pay £50 for peace of mind.. cup of coffee,  car in the work shop 40 mins later we're both happy :) !

Personally don't understand some who put cars up for sale then put it through the worjshop after selling it. None of know of hidden costs so surely better to get it prepped , yo uknow the costs and the car is ready to go. Customers love the fact its one journey local or national most want to drive it away same day, instant - money in the bank, stops them shopping elsewhere , cash flow ++++ Not rocket science IMO! 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, EPV said:

Eh? 

75% of the stuff in the Lawgistics pads are MOT items. Brakes, suspension, lights, tyres and yeah, emissions. 

"apart from emmisions there doesn't look too much else that is in the Mot."

Sorry. Mean't to put isn't in the Mot.

29 minutes ago, David Ayers said:

"apart from emmisions there doesn't look too much else that is in the Mot."

That would make more sense :)

1 hour ago, David Ayers said:

I now feel stupid for re-reading the Lawgistics PDI pad (which I should know by heart) straight after your post :lol:

2 hours ago, umesh said:

Every car ready to go serviced / MOT if required... Most of them not worried if it's got 9/10 months MOT on collection. Think I had one last year who wanted 12 months it had 9 but willing to pay £50 for peace of mind.. cup of coffee,  car in the work shop 40 mins later we're both happy :) !

Personally don't understand some who put cars up for sale then put it through the worjshop after selling it. None of know of hidden costs so surely better to get it prepped , yo uknow the costs and the car is ready to go. Customers love the fact its one journey local or national most want to drive it away same day, instant - money in the bank, stops them shopping elsewhere , cash flow ++++ Not rocket science IMO! 

Nail on head. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Nick M.K. said:

It’s 2019. 

The customer’s patience is measured in minutes not days. 

These are exactly the kind of people I don't want as customers. 

Not trying to sound deliberately awkward, clearly David and I are in the minority. It's just a different model for better or for worse I guess. I think a lot of it comes down to what you're stocking too though.

Yourself, Simon, James?/EPV (apologies of you're not James, i'm a nightmare with names) are all offering quite desirable, flashy stuff compared to my humble, necessity, Clios and Merivas. I've done plenty of the former stuff in the past and generally find buyers short on time (amongst a few other things) whereas my level of punters have a lot more patience.

Like a lot in this game; what works for one doesn't for the other is all i'm trying to say.

4 minutes ago, grant8064 said:

These are exactly the kind of people I don't want as customers. 

I can't ask you to change your business model or your customer preferences. But if you want to still have a business 5 years from now it might be a good idea. 

Same as texting (or Viber or WhatsApp)

Same as deposit unseen

Same as nationwide delivery

Same as card payments or transfers

11 minutes ago, Nick M.K. said:

I can't ask you to change your business model or your customer preferences. But if you want to still have a business 5 years from now it might be a good idea. 

Same as texting (or Viber or WhatsApp)

Same as deposit unseen

Same as nationwide delivery

Same as card payments or transfers

I'm always evolving (not changing) the model.

Same as texting (or Viber or WhatsApp) - It attracts the wrong kind of customers for our area/demographic but I accept it will happen in a couple of years.

Same as deposit unseen - No thanks. A deposit is NON refundable in my eyes, otherwise what's the point...sight unseen it has to be refunded so why take stock off sale unnecessarily and lose the chance to sell to a walk in?

Same as nationwide delivery - Why? We're massively overpriced compared to 'throw a bucket of water over it' traders in the Midlands. 99% is sold within a 5 mile radius and we want to sell locally. I love the people/teams we sponsor locally, I love where I live and want to support it. I have no interest in selling to someone looking for the cheapest comparable example out there within a 200 mile radius...these kinds of people are everything that is wrong with society IMO.

Same as card payments or transfers - BACS is our standard method of payment, has been for a long time. 

I 100% want to have a business in five years. It's been good so far and expanded organically a lot in four years. I was going to say "don't tell me what I need to do to run my business" but the whole reason i'm on here is to glean info off guys like yourself so i'd sound like a bit of a hypocrite/dick. A pitch is a different beast to trading from home but I enjoy the discussion/debate. 

Edited by grant8064

I’m somewhere between the two of you as in I like Grant’s approach but I recognise Nick’s future predictions.

Where are you based Grant?

4 minutes ago, Mark101 said:

I’m somewhere between the two of you as in I like Grant’s approach but I recognise Nick’s future predictions.

Where are you based Grant?

In the sunny south east, near Brighton. Pints are at least a fiver and usually a seagulls shits in them but you can't help loving where you're from can you!

7 minutes ago, grant8064 said:

I'm always evolving (not changing) the model.

Same as texting (or Viber or WhatsApp) - It attracts the wrong kind of customers for our area/demographic but I accept it will happen in a couple of years

Same as deposit unseen - No thanks. A deposit is non refundable in my eyes, otherwise what's the point...sight unseen it has to be refunded so why take stock off sale unnecessarily and lose the chance to sell to a walk in

Same as nationwide delivery - Why? We're massively overpriced compared to 'throw a bucket of water over it' traders in the Midlands. 99% is sold within a 5 mile radius and we only want to sell locally. I love the people/teams we sponsor locally, I love where I live and want to support it. I have no interest in selling to someone looking for the cheapest comparable example out there

Same as card payments or transfers - BACS is our standard method of payment. 

Absolutely agree, you make your business suit you. Don't be a bitch to the public unless you want to be... Your business is an open book, you make what you want of it, not what a third party tells you you should do. It's your business, your baby, your income, your choice, . Make your model suite you.....

3 minutes ago, grant8064 said:

In the sunny south east, near Brighton. Pints are at least a fiver and usually a seagulls shits in them but you can't help loving where you're from can you!

No Grant, home is always home and I’m in the Midlands, well Worcestershire - nice place, always been home but I crave the coast - boats are my hobby, bigger the better and preferably with rags hanging off sticks.  Plan one day is to spend more time afloat but home will probably always be home.

6 minutes ago, Mark101 said:

No Grant, home is always home and I’m in the Midlands, well Worcestershire - nice place, always been home but I crave the coast - boats are my hobby, bigger the better and preferably with rags hanging off sticks.  Plan one day is to spend more time afloat but home will probably always be home.

I do like the Midlands. My missus is from Stamford, near Peterborough, and it's idyllic, somewhere i'd really consider moving to. You just can't change loving where you grew up can you, it's why she moved here and I didn't move there....i'm a stubborn bastard!

My local opposition loves his yacht but it's bankrupted him. I keep toying with the idea of an inland widebeam but everytime I see how stressed he seems it gets kicked to the back burner!