Sign in to follow this  
Max Branning

MOT before or after sale ?

17 minutes ago, Arfur Dealy said:

It's your business, your baby, your income, your choice, . Make your model suite you.....

Tell this to every high street shop owner that ever had to close.

4 minutes ago, grant8064 said:

I do like the Midlands. My missus is from Stamford, near Peterborough, and it's idyllic, somewhere i'd really consider moving to. You just can't change loving where you grew up can you, it's why she moved here and I didn't move there....i'm a stubborn bastard!

My local opposition loves his yacht but it's bankrupted him. I keep toying with the idea of an inland widebeam but everytime I see how stressed he seems it gets kicked to the back burner!

Do what I did with my last boat - sell it and follow this motto.

If it flies, floats or fucks - rent it.

We now charter a yacht each year, costs a few £k but that’s it, no worrying about the annual maintenance, depreciation etc.

One day though, I would make one my second home.

3 minutes ago, Nick M.K. said:

Tell this to every high street shop owner that ever had to close.

If you want to feed your family you earn an income. You don't expect it.

2 minutes ago, Arfur Dealy said:

If you want to feed your family you earn an income. You don't expect it.

I agree 100%. And all those shop ex-owners will probably agree too. 

We are just lucky that our respective business models work in 2019. Just as shops worked on the high street for many years...

Just now, Nick M.K. said:

We are just lucky that our respective business models work in 2019. Just as shops worked on the high street for many years...

We all have to diversify. I'm making my model fit for my retirement, my ultimate goal is total remote sales....not sue yet how i'm gonna do it but I will...  

3 minutes ago, Nick M.K. said:

Shops on the high street still work around here, in fact our local high streets are thriving. It's just a case of making an effort and not taking things for granted.

The reason people didn't shop in my local bakers is because they hadn't changed their business model since 1970 whilst Greggs were improving every week for years.

Once the hunger's gone and you're coasting you may as well throw any business model out of the window.

30 minutes ago, Arfur Dealy said:

my ultimate goal is total remote sales....not sue yet how i'm gonna do it but I will...  

Well, press this button to leave your deposit, press "continue" to select a time slot for your free nationwide delivery, press "continue" to choose a payment method or press "apply for finance". "Please remember to leave us your review upon the completion of the transaction"...

27 minutes ago, grant8064 said:

Shops on the high street still work around here

Yesterday Simon asked for a recommendation here to buy a small electrical item. Where did he buy it from? And why?

19 minutes ago, Nick M.K. said:

Yesterday Simon asked for a recommendation here to buy a small electrical item. Where did he buy it from? And why?

He bought it from Amazon because it was quick and easy to get delivered. It's a very boring generic item with no emotional attachment. If he was buying jewellery, coffee, some local foodstuffs, decent shoes, meaningful gifts, I like to think he wouldn't because a good high street offers better service and an experience not just a transaction. Or at least it does around my way. Clever retailers know they can't compete on the price of a 60 watt light bulb so stopped trying years ago and made their shop about more than just the transaction, it's about service, quality, uniqueness, locality, relationships etc. All things online simply cannot offer no matter how hard etsy et al pretend to try. Businesses that failed to grasp all of that simply fade away.

It's the same reason not everyone buys from CarGiant/Imperial/etc and buys from us guys instead...some people value service and interaction when spending their money. Some people still appreciate face to face reassurance when making the second biggest purchase of their lives. The whole point of being an indie (other than making a living) is being dynamic and offering something different.

Remote sales with zero personal interaction is 100% available from main dealers and big used groups already. My USP is to not be like Arnold Clarks.

2 hours ago, Nick M.K. said:

I can't ask you to change your business model or your customer preferences. But if you want to still have a business 5 years from now it might be a good idea. 

Same as texting (or Viber or WhatsApp)

Same as deposit unseen

Same as nationwide delivery

Same as card payments or transfers

And not doing finance only

:lol: :lol:

8 minutes ago, grant8064 said:

He bought it from Amazon because it was quick and easy to get delivered. It's a very boring generic item with no emotional attachment.

I loved your whole post but I disagree with the above. 

It's an absolutely brilliant and clever piece of kit that saves so much hassle and even money, I almost cried when I drove over my first CTEK which I had stupidly left under the front tyre of a car. If you had seen me then you'd know there was emotional attachment.  

5 minutes ago, Nick M.K. said:

I loved your whole post but I disagree with the above. 

It's an absolutely brilliant and clever piece of kit that saves so much hassle and even money, I almost cried when I drove over my first CTEK which I had stupidly left under the front tyre of a car. If you had seen me then you'd know there was emotional attachment.  

:lol:

Having been a bit militant before I should add I have a lot of time for your opinions Nick, same goes for all the lads on here. 

I'm just an opinionated prick about certain things, really I just think we should focus on our collective USP...which is ourselves. Our cars are generic but we're the reason people buy them. We do the job right, don't BS too much and i'll bet not one of us owns a shiny blue suit. Hell I bet even BHM is a nice enough guy sometimes.

I've still got the scars from a blown micro charger though so i'm holding firm on that point!

34 minutes ago, grant8064 said:

:lol:

Having been a bit militant before I should add I have a lot of time for your opinions Nick, same goes for all the lads on here. 

I'm just an opinionated prick about certain things, really I just think we should focus on our collective USP...which is ourselves. Our cars are generic but we're the reason people buy them. We do the job right, don't BS too much and i'll bet not one of us owns a shiny blue suit. Hell I bet even BHM is a nice enough guy sometimes.

I've still got the scars from a blown micro charger though so i'm holding firm on that point!

Max Branning owns a shiny blue suit.

2 minutes ago, ExCouncilJobsworth said:

Max Branning owns a shiny blue suit.

And he had a go on Stacey. The lucky cunt. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, EPV said:

And he had a go on Stacey. The lucky cunt. 

She's a mess now. 

Still prefer Tanya... 

Its true what they say "a man will always like his own son but will prefer someone else's wife" :lol:

Just now, ExCouncilJobsworth said:

She's a mess now. 

Still prefer Tanya... 

Its true what they say "a man will always like his own son but will prefer someone else's wife" :lol:

Haven’t seen it for years mate. At least ten.