Sign in to follow this  
Mark101

Time To Turn Stock

My average turn is about 60 days, some are 9 months, some same day but average 60.

Question: when do you start and stop the counter because I think I maybe being to harsh on myself.

Day 1 when hammer falls to last day when collected by customer.

From hammer to delivery can be 7 days, prep 7 days then from deposit to collection can be 7 days. That can add 21 days when car was not really available.

Advert live to deposit paid. 

But I’ve stopped counting years ago. I used to be a busy fool trying to turn over cars really quickly but eventually understood that one car sold for £1500 gross is much better than two for £750 because of all the little added costs of multiple sales. 

Also having cheap stocking facility has reduced the pressure to have to be paid quickly so I can buy new stock. 

Edited by Nick M.K.
  • Like 1

I record 2. Hammer to on sale. On sale to sold. The latter is 35 days and the former around 4 days. 39 is my average days to turn. 

I start from when the hammer falls. I do it this way because for me it gives me more impetus to get stuck into the jobs that need doing on a car. A rough average turn for me when I started would have been around 30 days, that was when i was selling 1 to 3k stock. Now my average price is around 3-4k I am finding it is taking 60-70 days for each car. I had a  Peugeot 207 for 5 months and that had just gone in January. For me its the longest car I have ever had and not being used to sitting on stock I used to look at it every day and pray for the 'one call'!  I am now more comfortable with waiting for stock to sell but it has taken a while to just relax and just bide my time for a buyer.

What I have found is that if something is below £1500 and clean with a full Mot it will normally go really quickly. The only problem with these cars though are because the margin is tight anything you spend on them quickly eats into your profit. 

Stock turn is simply how long it takes from purchase (hammer dropped) to sale (paid in full) in my opinion. 

We all get ‘stickers’.If you think they are no longer good value,don’t be frightened to chop them brutally.You often then shift them quickly and get a good retail swapper to help you out.The big operators need regimental stock turn policies because ‘the wallys’ they employ are not allowed to make decisions like ‘knock a grand off that one’ etc.

• Like 1

i personally am counting from purchase date to date delivered

dont like counting chickens and all that.............................   last yr my average stock turn was 30.9 days average

Question: during that 30-60 days, do you guys need to continuing charge the battery to keep it in full? 

Edited by Lucas

40 minutes ago, Lucas said:

Question: during that 30-60 days, do you guys need to continuing charge the battery to keep it in full? 

Get back in your box in the private room please 

48 minutes ago, Nick M.K. said:

Lucas are you kidding? 

I am asking because I went to Audi main dealer; I saw they do that. Also, I saw a man doing car storage business; he has the maintainer on every parking space to keep every car's battery in full all the time. And I find one of my car battery ran flat after two weeks not moving it. Another one almost ran out battery. So, I think maybe a good idea to charge them all the time, or regularly.

47 minutes ago, EPV said:

Get back in your box in the private room please 

Sorry, mates! my question out of the topic. Forgive me!

1 hour ago, Lucas said:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

7 minutes ago, tradex said:

May need to clean them too

Giving them a lick first with a sloppy saliva covered tongue helps aswell :D

4 hours ago, Lucas said:

Be very careful charging/jump starting modern cars.

Better to start them regularly and give them a run when the roads are clean

Edited by David Ayers
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Stalker said:

Stock turn is simply how long it takes from purchase (hammer dropped) to sale (paid in full) in my opinion. 

+1 Money out until money in and cleared.

Stock turn is a thing I see a lot of people get hung up on, almost boasting they have a short forecourt turnover period. I understand with people serving big stocking loans but for us normal traders I have never understood the fascination.

I could turn my entire forecourt in two weeks if everything was cut back to the bone but I wouldn't have much of a business or wage packet at the end of it.