Sign in to follow this  
grant8064

Best polishing compound?

Just finished a tub of Farecla G6 that we inherited and never had to buy any before.

Only used for hand polishing marks with a textured cloth. 

Recommendations?

Farecla G3 on a mop followed by G10 by hand, then good old fashioned Turtle Wax .......................

Absolute magic :)

• Like 2

If you have a cleaning supplier call such as autosmart or autoglym they will have plenty of choice. 

Autosmart fircexampke just revamped all there range the evo 1 is a dam fine polish 

i use 2500 wet and dry for scratches and flatting, Then its either straight to G10 with machine polisher or G3 and then G10

last year i discovered G10 and what a  compound that is, Miracles happen with that

45 minutes ago, Dave2302 said:

Farecla G3 on a mop followed by G10 by hand, then good old fashioned Turtle Wax .......................

Absolute magic :)

We used to speed the process up.G3 on a mop and then jetwash,followed by G10 mixed with Autoglym then jetwash again.Then hand polish.I am unsure whether that would work with today’s paint and lacquer.Worth trying on a cheapie but not with Autoglym,too expensive these days.

3M. Green then blue. All you’ll ever need. Shit load of fillers. 

• Like 1

Rupes medium, followed by brake cleaner to check and then Rupes fine. If wet flatting I finish with Trizact 3000 prior to polishing.

1 hour ago, grant8064 said:

Thanks lads, gone for a few different ones to try out.

what did you go for in the end ?

Farecla G6 Compound Paste Rapid Grade 400g Tube

its £10 delivered via ebay and brilliant for everything hand or machine as you dont need to use as much water to spray prior to machining'

brilliant for dull headlights too

1200/2000/buff

44 minutes ago, justina3 said:

what did you go for in the end ?

Farecla G3 & G10 because i've used it before and some of the 3M mentioned above, be good to see how a few new things work.

On 31/1/2019 at 7:38 PM, EPV said:

3M. Green then blue. All you’ll ever need. Shit load of fillers. 

Same here, except I use the yellow in between, then after the blue I use a good quality wax such as autoglym high def or similar to seal it all in in case the car sits around for 6 months.

Use Trizact 3000 to remove heavy scratches and use the new Rupes Bigfoot and Rupes pads.

Know the capabilities of 3M as I've used it for sooo long so slow to change. 

20 minutes ago, Scooby who said:

Same here, except I use the yellow in between, then after the blue I use a good quality wax such as autoglym high def or similar to seal it all in in case the car sits around for 6 months.

Use Trizact 3000 to remove heavy scratches and use the new Rupes Bigfoot and Rupes pads.

If I was doing my own car i’d go with the yellow but for stock i’m more likely to use 3000 trizact, green and leave it. Inside the showroom it looks excellent.  In direct sunlight, to the trained eye is a different thing but I never have either of those in the showroom...

12 hours ago, Scooby who said:

I'm the same with Farecla products ;) 

Yikes not for us, as an avid reader of the detailing world forum offers often pop up for the latest product and the reviews are great as well, i think in all honestly we spend far to much time on polish prep.

my autosmart man showed me that cheap polish is filled up and bulked with chalk

most very expensive polished have carnubia in them?

it all comes down to cost .what you want/need to spend x time

most cars need a right good tfr-ing and then finish off stuff like plastics /tyres on the outside with anything that works

interior you cant beat a steam cleaner:lol:

4 hours ago, boring dave said:

my autosmart man showed me that cheap polish is filled up and bulked with chalk

most very expensive polished have carnubia in them?

it all comes down to cost .what you want/need to spend x time

most cars need a right good tfr-ing and then finish off stuff like plastics /tyres on the outside with anything that works

interior you cant beat a steam cleaner:lol:

And there is the difference between paint correction and paint enhancement. Filling is easier and quicker than removing and 99.99% of punters wouldn't know the difference. as you say, down to cost and time. To correct an 8 year old car is a two day job. To enhance it is two hours.

I used the Autosmart Evo 3 for years and they recently changed forumula and it now comes in a black bottle, not as good so im swapping back to Farcela G3 Liquid Compound. You are best to use a Rotary Polisher (Mop to people like me and you)

I use a local lad and I don’t care what he uses because my £50 makes everything shine.

16 hours ago, Mark101 said:

I use a local lad and I don’t care what he uses because my £50 makes everything shine.

LOL agreed ................. BUT .............. Don't let him near one of your personal cars with Chinese Polish, I once had a Van that had that shit put on it, looked lovely for a couple of months, but once it faded away and all the road dirt etc had stuck to it the resultant mess took 2 to 3 days to correct and properly get it back to a decent shine ;)

12 hours ago, Dave2302 said:

LOL agreed ................. BUT .............. Don't let him near one of your personal cars with Chinese Polish, I once had a Van that had that shit put on it, looked lovely for a couple of months, but once it faded away and all the road dirt etc had stuck to it the resultant mess took 2 to 3 days to correct and properly get it back to a decent shine ;)

Sorry, but... could you clarify wtf is Chinese Polish???

7 hours ago, Kes said:

Mr Wongski

9 hours ago, Kes said:

Cheap "one flick of the rag and it gleams" shit, usually advertised on daytime TV, Fleabay etc, and probably "made in Guangzong district sweat shop" ;)

That stuff is so full of fillers etc it's almost like pouring a bucket of lacquer over a panel, yeah, it will gleam, but next time you want to wash and wax the bloody car you'll find it is like a gooey mess to get it off, back to the actual paintwork, and do it properly !!