Sign in to follow this  
friar

Car auctions and proxy bids!

On a couple of recent occasions, car sold to me exactly at what I bid as maximum.Just makes you wonder if things are still the same.

What's your experience?

Proxy bid just give the auctioneer a legal way of running up the price, He knows he has your bid in the bag so he dont need the wall on that one, Just bid proxy what you would bit if it was  live then you can be a winner and be a winner you have not overpaid

One thing I have noticed with bca online recently is the “hall” bids seam to go up quicker than the auctioneer which I can’t understand.

i.e online will be showing hall bid £2000 when auctioneer is still at £1900 then they’ll start spouting £2000 a couple of seconds later and online will be up to £2100 etc. Seamed to be happening on most cars this week.

Edited by Lakeside

On occasion I have seen my proxy bid be the starting point, even if it's above cap average say. Quite frustrating. Proxy bids, on the whole work for me though.

I thought the maximum proxy bid was hidden, just per bid shown as required.

2 minutes ago, friar said:

Proxy bids are  unknown by the auctioneer , They don't know till their system shows proxy out bid , If there is a catalogue change the proxy bid is out altogether and they wont take it . 

1 hour ago, friar said:

I never knew that i stand corrected on my previous comment, "IF" it is like that then totally fair

2 hours ago, David Horgan said:

Proxy bids are  unknown by the auctioneer , They don't know till their system shows proxy out bid , If there is a catalogue change the proxy bid is out altogether and they wont take it . 

not at Wilsons, he just starts at it

10 hours ago, EPV said:

On occasion I have seen my proxy bid be the starting point, even if it's above cap average say. Quite frustrating. Proxy bids, on the whole work for me though.

If your proxy bid was 2000 and mine was 1900 and some others had 17 and 18... Makes sense to start at yours?

Thats how i think of it. I dont let temptation get in the way and bid MY max

5 minutes ago, ExCouncilJobsworth said:

If your proxy bid was 2000 and mine was 1900 and some others had 17 and 18... Makes sense to start at yours?

Thats how i think of it. I dont let temptation get in the way and bid MY max

If it means I'm the maiden bid :)

there are certain sites out there that harvest information and use it against you

no names

so why proxy bid unless you have to

on one site i use i trot proxy bids up to what i think will bust there egos and then drop out.did it today i hope it bled them

22 minutes ago, boring dave said:

there are certain sites out there that harvest information and use it against you

no names

so why proxy bid unless you have to

on one site i use i trot proxy bids up to what i think will bust there egos and then drop out.did it today i hope it bled them

If I'm just interested in one car I'm not going to sit in front of a screen for an hour or so waiting for it to come through. Or, if I know I won't even be at the screen, that's when I use proxy bids.

Problem is the reserve prices seem high this month. I feel like most of the time it's between average to clean. So many cars reserve not met this week. On the other hand, a lot of grade 4 cars sold excess clean price! Very frustrating!

Old boy told my wait for next month to see the auction price drop, he said most of main dealers have 90 days low interest rate financing stock from November, so he guesses they probably will try to clearance the inventories on Feb to avoid the interest rate increase after 90 days low rate period. I don't know if this is true or not as he is 75 years old and he uses none computer or smartphone! And he doesn't buy from the auction at all. :D 

Edited by Lucas

8 hours ago, Lucas said:

Problem is the reserve prices seem high this month. I feel like most of the time it's between average to clean. So many cars reserve not met this week. On the other hand, a lot of grade 4 cars sold excess clean price! Very frustrating!

Old boy told my wait for next month to see the auction price drop, he said most of main dealers have 90 days low interest rate financing stock from November, so he guesses they probably will try to clearance the inventories on Feb to avoid the interest rate increase after 90 days low rate period. I don't know if this is true or not as he is 75 years old and he uses none computer or smartphone! And he doesn't buy from the auction at all. :D 

Does he mention HMRC a lot? Is his name trade vet? :lol:

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Lucas said:

your man sounds very clever

you are lucky

i suggest if he doesnt object you record every word he tells you and transcribe it

you cant buy experience remember

• Like 1