Sign in to follow this  
Mikey360

Critique my ads!

The video is awesome. Don't change that. You are light years ahead of plenty of large dealers who don't have a clue about online marketing. Seriously well done.

The photos are excellent, the bokeh is fantastic and if you were showcasing a Lambo Huracan you'd be in demand for any dealership. There's nothing wrong with making an old banger look something it isn't, that's the point of online advertising isn't it. The issue with some of your photos is that you are showing dirty, worn parts of the vehicle (nothing unexpected, it's 13 years old) and there's no point in highlighting them.

There's not much wrong with the adverts at all, just could do with a little more tyre shine, straighter camera angle and start looking at what you are photographing as you shoot.

I don't mind the text, it's salesy but you're trying to convince someone that an old banger isn't. 

The reason your phone isn't ringing very often is because you have effectively, 3 adverts. If you had more cars, you'd have more calls. etc.

Your online marketing is way above most dealers who have been doing this years. It's to be commended. A little more polish and attention to detail and you're there.

6 minutes ago, EPV said:

The video is awesome. Don't change that. You are light years ahead of plenty of large dealers who don't have a clue about online marketing. Seriously well done.

The photos are excellent, the bokeh is fantastic and if you were showcasing a Lambo Huracan you'd be in demand for any dealership. There's nothing wrong with making an old banger look something it isn't, that's the point of online advertising isn't it. The issue with some of your photos is that you are showing dirty, worn parts of the vehicle (nothing unexpected, it's 13 years old) and there's no point in highlighting them.

There's not much wrong with the adverts at all, just could do with a little more tyre shine, straighter camera angle and start looking at what you are photographing as you shoot.

I don't mind the text, it's salesy but you're trying to convince someone that an old banger isn't. 

The reason your phone isn't ringing very often is because you have effectively, 3 adverts. If you had more cars, you'd have more calls. etc.

Your online marketing is way above most dealers who have been doing this years. It's to be commended. A little more polish and attention to detail and you're there.

That's genuinely made my day thank you, I really appreciate the kind words! 

Some great tips aswell thankyou! I'm just going through the photos now to take out some of the less desirable angles

I'm getting some more capital soon to get some more stock in (lower mileage and newer), so hopefully that'll help!

Wish i had all this advice when i was starting out instead i learned the hard way im guessing like most traders on here. Great advice from everyone and will do you good in the long run, take it all on board

Just now, Tony911 said:

Wish i had all this advice when i was starting out instead i learned the hard way im guessing like most traders on here. Great advice from everyone and will do you good in the long run, take it all on board

I've said it before, but I do owe each of you at least a pint in thanks! Really smashing advice, just going through the adverts now to remove some of the bad pics and change the descriptions slightly

Hi Mikey

Personally I would sort out the sill on the Audi. I appreciate it’s an old car but the rest of the bodywork looks pretty good.

The other thing is there is no mention of cambelt being changed.

the valeting on the mini looks superior to the other 2 have you done something different in between

42 minutes ago, Nick M.K. said:

No. 

Because it only has 100 miles over what you stated no punter in their right mind will object to that but at 90000 you get in more searches. IF someone says something about you putting slightly lower miles you can say one of two things: 

When it arrived and we advertised it had just under 90K miles and after we've test driven it the figure is slightly higher. 

OR Due to customer feedback we have rounded the mileage very slightly so you have a chance to find the car if you limit your search to 90000 miles. We wouldn't want you to miss out on a car for the sake of 100-200 miles. 

I would also add that you take a pic of the speedo’s exact mileage if you’re going to do this. 

As all the above (some great feedback). I too don’t like the location though, but it is being harsh. You come across very well and you’re obviouly ‘normal’  

For me, maybe controversially, the cars and the mileages are the main issue. The Mini (while good for the young drivers) is 90k and boring. My feelings on german cars at this age and miles particularly are well publicised though  

If you’re only stocking a few cars as EPV says, you need to buy better. And you’re definitely more than capable of marketing better stuff p- and that’s when your great approach and ability to string words together well & your videos will reap the rewards. 

I would rephoto them and zoom in more and consider two approaches:

One where, as discussed, you make the cars look better and try to get the people to come to you/ not giving them a reason not to buy just from the advert. 

Second approach- inspired by our erstwhile member AD, where you shoot from a ‘warts and all’ standing -particularly on the type of cars you currently have; as Simon says ‘people buy from people’ and I’m sure you have the same great, no bullsit, honest manner about you that he does. And some person’s 90k German delight will be better than others & Simon’s approach may help you show that yours are ‘better than a lot of the rest in comparison’.

Good work though considering how long you’ve been doing it and as TV says, don’t panic. Sometimes they just stick and, unless you need to blow them out to get the dough back in, then just hold your nerve. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, David Ayers said:

Hi Mikey

Personally I would sort out the sill on the Audi. I appreciate it’s an old car but the rest of the bodywork looks pretty good.

The other thing is there is no mention of cambelt being changed.

I've got the bodywork man out tommorow so i'll see if he can pop that out, and good point! Completely forgot about that, it was only done 10k ago so a good selling point!

1 minute ago, boring dave said:

the valeting on the mini looks superior to the other 2 have you done something different in between

The only thing I can think of is the headlights were covered in sticker residue so I gave them a heck of a clean, but other than that they've had the same treatment as the others

9 minutes ago, Mikey360 said:

I've said it before, but I do owe each of you at least a pint in thanks! Really smashing advice, just going through the adverts now to remove some of the bad pics and change the descriptions slightly

and it shows we can all learn something/try something new. The revelation of doing videos came from this forum too, and even (and especially I guess) old hands like me can and do continue to learn. 

5 minutes ago, NOACROSS said:

I would also add that you take a pic of the speedo’s exact mileage if you’re going to do this. 

As all the above (some great feedback). I too don’t like the location though, but it is being harsh. You come across very well and you’re obviouly ‘normal’  

For me, maybe controversially, the cars and the mileages are the main issue. The Mini (while good for the young drivers) is 90k and boring. My feelings on german cars at this age and miles particularly are well publicised though  

If you’re only stocking a few cars as EPV says, you need to buy better. And you’re definitely more than capable of marketing better stuff p- and that’s when your great approach and ability to string words together well & your videos will reap the rewards. 

I would rephoto them and zoom in more and consider two approaches:

One where, as discussed, you make the cars look better and try to get the people to come to you/ not giving them a reason not to buy just from the advert. 

Second approach- inspired by our erstwhile member AD, where you shoot from a ‘warts and all’ standing -particularly on the type of cars you currently have; as Simon says ‘people buy from people’ and I’m sure you have the same great, no bullsit, honest manner about you that he does. And some person’s 90k German delight will be better than others & Simon’s approach may help you show that yours are ‘better than a lot of the rest in comparison’.

Good work though considering how long you’ve been doing it and as TV says, don’t panic. Sometimes they just stick and, unless you need to blow them out to get the dough back in, then just hold your nerve. 

Get a whiskey in me and I'm far from normal! :D 

Thanks for the feedback Noacross, all taken on board. I am hoping to get out of this price bracket soon once some more capitals in the business and get some lower mileage and newer stock. I always try to stock something with a selling point, ie the Mini is cheaper on insurance as its a smaller engine, but it hasn't translated into a speedy sale unfortunately!

With the speedo pic, do you mean to put it in the advert or just keep it filed? I'm just thinking in regards to Nicks advice of removing pics with a date on so it doesn't look like old stock

Take a pic of the actual miles (zoom in on it if you want so date doesn’t show) I mean and add it to the advert. Then you can’t be accused of trying to pull a fast one. 

2 minutes ago, NOACROSS said:

Take a pic of the actual miles (zoom in on it if you want so date doesn’t show) I mean and add it to the advert. Then you can’t be accused of trying to pull a fast one. 

Super thanks!

Hi Mikey, I looked at the Mini... I'll say right away that I'm seriously impressed... The video and commentary is fantastic and will be way better than any other advert for a similar product that your potential customer will be looking at.

Advice in an AT best practice video would suggest that when you take your pictures, try moving the car around so that the back drop is the same rather than moving around the car with the camera... I know and appreciate it will take longer but you will be able to choose a better background like the view from the N/S of the Mini, and not have to show some pylons,substation and clumsy old gate.

In the Mini write up it does say MOT due Nov 2018 so you might want to change that...

Well done for asking on here, you've had some great responses and super help... Sincerely hope the job picks up for you soon,

4 minutes ago, Tim H said:

Hi Mikey, I looked at the Mini... I'll say right away that I'm seriously impressed... The video and commentary is fantastic and will be way better than any other advert for a similar product that your potential customer will be looking at.

Advice in an AT best practice video would suggest that when you take your pictures, try moving the car around so that the back drop is the same rather than moving around the car with the camera... I know and appreciate it will take longer but you will be able to choose a better background like the view from the N/S of the Mini, and not have to show some pylons,substation and clumsy old gate.

In the Mini write up it does say MOT due Nov 2018 so you might want to change that...

Well done for asking on here, you've had some great responses and super help... Sincerely hope the job picks up for you soon,

Thankyou Tim! I'll be having a drive round tomorrow to see if I can find a better location 

I don't think the location is bad... if you keep the background view as the one in your side on pictures... As long as the little lane is wide enough I suppose ... Don't forget the confusing bit about the MOT..

Whilst its been in our care, it's had its MOT done, an interim service and a new battery clutch fitted! It also benefits from having Full Service History with 7 stamps in the book, Meaning you can drive away, happily knowing it's been well looked after., 3 months warranty, Next MOT due 27/11/2018,

Just now, Tim H said:

I don't think the location is bad... if you keep the background view as the one in your side on pictures... As long as the little lane is wide enough I suppose ... Don't forget the confusing bit about the MOT..

Whilst its been in our care, it's had its MOT done, an interim service and a new battery clutch fitted! It also benefits from having Full Service History with 7 stamps in the book, Meaning you can drive away, happily knowing it's been well looked after., 3 months warranty, Next MOT due 27/11/2018,

Ah I see what you mean! I changed the earlier bit but forgot to untick the MOT details on Autotrader! Thankyou!

There's not much wrong with the background, pics 4 and 6 from the 120i for example are more than good enough. You'd be better off spending your time sorting the punctuation in the ad text, double commas and full stops, exclamation marks then a double comma etc. 

Just now, EPV said:

There's not much wrong with the background, pics 4 and 6 from the 120i for example are more than good enough. You'd be better off spending your time sorting the punctuation in the ad text, double commas and full stops, exclamation marks then a double comma etc. 

Ah I think that's from hitting enter, for some reason it makes a ,, rather than a space, was hoping it'd break up the text a bit!

I like the videos, quick and to the point. 

The photos are OK to be fair this time of year will be hard as the light is low and grey. If you have MS windows open the photos up in windows photo gallery and use the auto enhance to brighten them up. 

The cars are getting on a bit age and miles so your phone wont make much noise. 

Just now, Mikey360 said:

Ah I think that's from hitting enter, for some reason it makes a ,, rather than a space, was hoping it'd break up the text a bit!

No, it looks shit.

One of the downsides to AT's format is they don't allow paragraphing, I've asked a million times for this but it seems to disagree with their in house IT nerds. Just keep the text interesting and don't worry about people getting bored and not reading the advert in full. If they are interested then they want information, if they want information give it to them. If you have to separate then use a string of hyphens. Even then I wouldn't do it. Just do a nice, interesting paragraph. 

1 minute ago, EPV said:

No, it looks shit.

One of the downsides to AT's format is they don't allow paragraphing, I've asked a million times for this but it seems to disagree with their in house IT nerds. Just keep the text interesting and don't worry about people getting bored and not reading the advert in full. If they are interested then they want information, if they want information give it to them. If you have to separate then use a string of hyphens. Even then I wouldn't do it. Just do a nice, interesting paragraph. 

Noted and adjusted thankyou!

It does surprise me that the biggest car selling website doesn't allow a bit more freedom in the layout of the text, it is difficult to read at the best of times! 

3 minutes ago, Tom said:

I like the videos, quick and to the point. 

The photos are OK to be fair this time of year will be hard as the light is low and grey. If you have MS windows open the photos up in windows photo gallery and use the auto enhance to brighten them up. 

The cars are getting on a bit age and miles so your phone wont make much noise. 

Thankyou Tom! I do go through the photos with a bit of post processing in Darktable as I take them in RAW format. They do want a bit of brightening up, i'll have a play tomorrow 

8 hours ago, Mikey360 said:

Completely forgot about that, it was only done 10k ago so a good selling point!

You wouldn’t have forgotten for long because the second words out of punters mouths is always “has the cambelt been done.”  The first question being, “what’s your best price.”

Mikey, well in my book your adverts are a good 8 out of 10. I agree the location looks like you’ve dumped a body somewhere, but the choice of pictures and quality are good. Your photos need to be consistent, same background time and time again and not in direct sunlight. 

Ive watched your video and you come across as a well spoken genuine guy, definitely start doing a walk around video showing the warts and positives. Show the history in the video because it really sells cars. Maybe consider an introduction and conclusion. Hope that helps

10 hours ago, Max Branning said:

Your videos are good but in my opinion on old stock like this its the wrong type of video to be making. Your style of videos are the sort of thing i would expect a franchise to be doing.

Personally i would do a full walk around video of the car and highlight the good and bad bits which inevitably a 10 year old car will have. 

+1. I only watched the A3 video & my comments are forget the Audi-style advertising flannel and actually tell punters something about that specific car. You should be pointing out good & bad points - yours sounded like a manufacturers advert for a new car when in truth it’s an end of life product.

You shoot an excellent video though, however it’s style over substance here I feel (although many will disagree with me & it’s not a market I sell to).

But the Audi A3 as a product (irrespective of age) is all about style over substance and I think this video format makes this ad stand out compared to the typical walkaround used car video (including my own). 

Remember that the person that will buy it will not see it as end of life and it’s good that the video steers them away from that thought.