D’Oh !

Noobie

Hi everyone 

Richard here , just saying hi as I came across your site and found the Punto steering article. 

Fab site and idea. I’ve been doing cars and bikes since I couldn’t drink , then did aeroplanes( drank too much) and fiddled with timber milling for a while. 

Im now back to my roots with cars. Buying cheap and giving them a goodgoing over and selling them on. 

Im no good at selling dodgy stuff and would rather take a car back as long as the client is reasonable. 

I’m based in the North West but hail from Coventry , Stivichal to be exact . Near where the zoo used to be. 

My old man was in vehicle test all his life after his Raf days he worked for Kismet, Hartridge, Sun and Clayton. I had a good old school grounding but reckon I have so much more to learn , especially about trading.

Hope I haven’t gone on too much.

happy new year and i

look forward to virtually meeting you all.

cheers

Richard

• Like 1

Hi richard nice to meet you

whats your current set up? Bit of pocket money? Full time? How many in stock? Where are you advertising?

all the best

Hi Jl

Im just starting out. First cars are two Puntos, transit Connect, Berlingo van, two discoveries and a couple of p38s arriving in a few days. Land rovers are all headgaskets . 

I didn’t want finance so my cars have mechanical/ welding challenges. I know I can make them presentable and I’m lucky to be able to do any mechanicals too.

a lifetime collection of tools and a workshop outback in the garden and some great neighbours to date lol. My biggest challenge is my bi polar.

Nobody said life would be easy.

If it goes well I’ll expand! Over the years I’ve done ok on various bikes and motors. 

Thanks for your warm welcome . 

8 hours ago, D’Oh ! said:

Hi Jl

Im just starting out. First cars are two Puntos, transit Connect, Berlingo van, two discoveries and a couple of p38s arriving in a few days. Land rovers are all headgaskets . 

I didn’t want finance so my cars have mechanical/ welding challenges. I know I can make them presentable and I’m lucky to be able to do any mechanicals too.

a lifetime collection of tools and a workshop outback in the garden and some great neighbours to date lol. My biggest challenge is my bi polar.

Nobody said life would be easy.

If it goes well I’ll expand! Over the years I’ve done ok on various bikes and motors. 

Thanks for your warm welcome . 

Good luck mate, not a lot to add really but it sounds like you have some skills a lot of us don’t, which is a nice advantage. 

Dont take on too much at the start and build up slow. We can be a friendly bunch if you ever need a bit of advice or to rant! All the best.

Hi and welcome, best of luck with it;)

I do all my own work, just a small set up with loads of Dealer Level Kit.

Garage is busier than Car sales.  I gave up on Welderuppers many years ago now ;), too many late model decent Cars that can be had for buttons in my locale :D

Hi Richard

All the best,sounds good to me.If you need any help,there are some great guys on here who will give good advice on all aspects of the job.Land Rovers,do you do Brightwells,If not worth checking out.

2 hours ago, Mojo121 said:

Good luck mate, not a lot to add really but it sounds like you have some skills a lot of us don’t, which is a nice advantage. 

Dont take on too much at the start and build up slow. We can be a friendly bunch if you ever need a bit of advice or to rant! All the best.

Thanks Mojo 

Thanks for the welcome and good advice, I’m terrible for taking on too much lol . 

HNY 

1 hour ago, DPF said:

Welcome! Happy new year !

Thanks DPF

HNY

2 hours ago, trade vet said:

Hi Richard

All the best,sounds good to me.If you need any help,there are some great guys on here who will give good advice on all aspects of the job.Land Rovers,do you do Brightwells,If not worth checking out.

Thanks Trade Vet

is Brightwells an auction? 

Im picking up local roadkill atm and there seems to be a good supply. I think I’d get over excited if I went to an auction 

2 hours ago, Dave2302 said:

Hi and welcome, best of luck with it;)

I do all my own work, just a small set up with loads of Dealer Level Kit.

Garage is busier than Car sales.  I gave up on Welderuppers many years ago now ;), too many late model decent Cars that can be had for buttons in my locale :D

Hi Dave

thanks for your support. Yes welder uppers are a hard way to go and I too will be pleased to leave them behind.

you mention dealer level kit: I’m desperately trying to avoid buying a new steering  column for one of my Puntos. Do you know of any test kit for fiats that will tell me which component is not working? 

Thx

Richard

1 hour ago, D’Oh ! said:

Thanks Mojo 

Thanks for the welcome and good advice, I’m terrible for taking on too much lol . 

HNY 

Thanks DPF

HNY

Thanks Trade Vet

is Brightwells an auction? 

Im picking up local roadkill atm and there seems to be a good supply. I think I’d get over excited if I went to an auction 

Brightwells,Leominster often plenty of Landrovers including those needing work from Forestry Commission and other government agencies.If I was in the Land Rover resurrection business I would check it out.

2 minutes ago, trade vet said:

Brightwells,Leominster often plenty of Landrovers including those needing work from Forestry Commission and other government agencies.If I was in the Land Rover resurrection business I would check it out.

Thx 

1 hour ago, D’Oh ! said:

Hi Dave

thanks for your support. Yes welder uppers are a hard way to go and I too will be pleased to leave them behind.

you mention dealer level kit: I’m desperately trying to avoid buying a new steering  column for one of my Puntos. Do you know of any test kit for fiats that will tell me which component is not working? 

Thx

Richard

I’m not called Dave.... however if you have a spare laptop I can recommend a cheapo copy of the delphi diagnostic from eBay/amazon. Search for DS150e and you can pick up new ones for about £50. These can be run off a laptop and can do most things before 2014 adequetly. Other than that, your looking at hundreds of pounds. 

48 minutes ago, Stalker said:

I’m not called Dave.... however if you have a spare laptop I can recommend a cheapo copy of the delphi diagnostic from eBay/amazon. Search for DS150e and you can pick up new ones for about £50. These can be run off a laptop and can do most things before 2014 adequetly. Other than that, your looking at hundreds of pounds. 

Oops my appols! Thanks for that I’ll have a look. 

12 minutes ago, DBDlloyds said:

Welcome...

Thank you 

2 hours ago, D’Oh ! said:

Agree with the post above, even I haven't bothered getting dealer level for FIAT, almost none on our roads up here :lol:

Usually a good generic will get you to the bottom of most things on that level of Car.

I have 3 Generics, of which the Delphi running on laptop was the cheapest, and is pretty much better than the Snap On Solus Ultra that I paid 30 times the price for lol.

I bought the Delphi to do 2 Jobs on a local mates Iveco Truck, which the Snap On wouldn't go near, but it has proved a very useful bit of kit, a little slow even though I have it on a decent Dell D630 with maxed out RAM and 2.4 Ghz so I think that is just the software as all of my dealer level machines are lightning fast compared to the Delphi and all on Dell D630 / D830's.

I'm pretty sure there are newer versions than 2014 now, was looking at updating mine a while back, 2017 IIRC ;)

1 hour ago, Stalker said:

I’m not called Dave....

I was when I was born :lol: Get called all manner of things these days :D

11 minutes ago, DPF said:

Ds150e on eBay £39 new version?

Magic thx. I’ve just invested ! 

1 hour ago, Dave2302 said:

Agree with the post above, even I haven't bothered getting dealer level for FIAT, almost none on our roads up here :lol:

Usually a good generic will get you to the bottom of most things on that level of Car.

I have 3 Generics, of which the Delphi running on laptop was the cheapest, and is pretty much better than the Snap On Solus Ultra that I paid 30 times the price for lol.

I bought the Delphi to do 2 Jobs on a local mates Iveco Truck, which the Snap On wouldn't go near, but it has proved a very useful bit of kit, a little slow even though I have it on a decent Dell D630 with maxed out RAM and 2.4 Ghz so I think that is just the software as all of my dealer level machines are lightning fast compared to the Delphi and all on Dell D630 / D830's.

I'm pretty sure there are newer versions than 2014 now, was looking at updating mine a while back, 2017 IIRC ;)

I was when I was born :lol: Get called all manner of things these days :D

Thanks for letting me know your kit. 

Do you mind if I call everyone Bruce to keep it simple …?

2 hours ago, DPF said:

Ds150e on eBay £39 new version?

Any chance of an e bay item number please.

24 minutes ago, Row said:

Any chance of an e bay item number please.

How will you do the hex if you can't find the article?;)

Ps just put  the quoted number into ebay and its about hit 12

You will need a dedicated computer with internet  turned off all the time and probably running Windows xp 32bit and fully updated to get the best out of these things

To op this won't do your fiat steering you need multiecuscan for that.Look to gendan  for guidance of what's needed

24 minutes ago, boring dave said:

You will need a dedicated computer with internet  turned off all the time and probably running Windows xp 32bit and fully updated to get the best out of these things

To op this won't do your fiat steering you need multiecuscan for that.Look to gendan  for guidance of what's needed

Who or what is gendan. Is multiecuscan a piece of hardware or software. ? Sorry for the obvs questions . 

4 minutes ago, D’Oh ! said:

Who or what is gendan. Is multiecuscan a piece of hardware or software. ? Sorry for the obvs questions . 

Willing to help but come on just use Google search

3 hours ago, boring dave said:

The Delphi will read the power steering fine and give him the torques sensor fault code he’s looking for B)

12 minutes ago, Stalker said:

The Delphi will read the power steering fine and give him the torques sensor fault code he’s looking for B)

Brill thx guys. A fantastic education in test kit. 

I didn’t realise how un educated I had become lol. 

I’ll be out first thing Tomoz with my new found ability !!!