Sign in to follow this  
Nick M.K.

The most memorable part ex you ever took?

Had someone the other week offer a watch against a car....... loons!!! Mitsuoka ViewT is the strangest car I've ever had a Micra that looks like a jag, we called it the fag,  the worst this year has to be a 2012 volvo 2.0 petrol r design, ticks all the boxes, 27k, fsh etc but Ive had the bugger 6 months, allowed £5700, retail value at the the time was £8500, thought there was a nice margin, its now down to £6500 still no calls but have to agree with Nick its the part exes we make our money on.

We handled a 1980s Mercedes 300D (W123) a few years ago. The couple wanted money off for no trade in, and when I said we prefer a trade in, they explained I probably wouldn't want their car in a trade in. Their trade in turned out to have 56k miles and three owners and they asked 1k for it against a Skoda they were interested in. Anyway, deal done and they travelled down to collect. 

It was only after the deal was done did I do any real research on the old Merc. I couldn't believe what they were selling for!! Petrols with 150k miles were selling for 4k, so on it went for 6k and sold to an Irish Merc/Porsche collector within days through the free website; Car and Classic. I couldn't believe it. 

If only we could do that once a month! 

2 minutes ago, Nick M.K. said:

Let me have that petrol Volvo David, should fly out in Greater London. 

I asked first!  ;o)

If you really want it, inbox me, Im fed up of looking at the thing lol

2 minutes ago, NOACROSS said:

I asked first!  ;o)

4 minutes ago, JimmyGlen said:

We handled a 1980s Mercedes 300D (W123) a few years ago. The couple wanted money off for no trade in, and when I said we prefer a trade in, they explained I probably wouldn't want their car in a trade in. Their trade in turned out to have 56k miles and three owners and they asked 1k for it against a Skoda they were interested in. Anyway, deal done and they travelled down to collect. 

It was only after the deal was done did I do any real research on the old Merc. I couldn't believe what they were selling for!! Petrols with 150k miles were selling for 4k, so on it went for 6k and sold to an Irish Merc/Porsche collector within days through the free website; Car and Classic. I couldn't believe it. 

If only we could do that once a month! 

Now that is a claim to fame.Wow,that could be the best deal I have ever heard.....

TV, it was the flattest battleship grey I'd ever seen with blue velour interior which was totally free of any wear.  I have one of the best detailers I know, who spent two days on the old car and by the end, it was fit for even the most critical of inspection. I'll need to look out the pictures, it was a beautiful old car. We found a print off of the eBay listing from when the couple bought it three years earlier - 3k, so in their head, I can only assume they were happy with 1k back after three years of driving. Thank god they never found it on the Car and Classic website...

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, NOACROSS said:

I asked first!  ;o)

Sorry, just agreed a deal with David over the phone. The Volvo is coming home with me...

Will this be the first car sold after a brief mention on this forum?

As Nick says, the real money is in the part ex chain...nothing like the fun of a run of five or six random bits off the back of something boring from the block.

The only thing i've found genuinely interesting was an old Mazda BingoBongo. We didn't really want to get involved but offered what we thought was fair money. After a bit of research, knowing nothing about campers at the time, we realised the difference between a side conversion and a full on conversion. Bit of welding, coolant warning alarm fitted (no vehicle should really require one of those as standard prep) and a fresh ticket and paint and it paid for the month and some. Biggest lump we've ever taken on something and a great talking point on the forecourt too.

5 minutes ago, Nick M.K. said:

Sorry, just agreed a deal with David over the phone. The Volvo is coming home with me...

Will this be the first car sold after a brief mention on this forum?

Ha. Yes. So I just found out from David! Sniff. 

Saloon car not my bag -so we’re still friends mate ;o)

First time I can remember yes. 

36 minutes ago, JimmyGlen said:

TV, it was the flattest battleship grey I'd ever seen with blue velour interior which was totally free of any wear.  I have one of the best detailers I know, who spent two days on the old car and by the end, it was fit for even the most critical of inspection. I'll need to look out the pictures, it was a beautiful old car. We found a print off of the eBay listing from when the couple bought it three years earlier - 3k, so in their head, I can only assume they were happy with 1k back after three years of driving. Thank god they never found it on the Car and Classic website...

Hi Jimmy,I have never bothered with car mags or car TV stuff,but last week I picked up a Modern Classics mag ( £4.40p) which nearly put me off.You want to see the prices being charged.That is why I thought that Rover 75 Conniseur last week was too cheap.

There must be some good future classics lurking up your way.

8 minutes ago, Nick M.K. said:

Not a saloon though. It’s the 3dr hatchback

Oh right. He just said not an estate so I jumped to the conclusion. 

Let us know how you get on with it Nick. I’m sure David will be amazed when you sell it next week :0)

It’s funny how a change of scenery for a sticker makes it sell. Used to happen all the time when I traded on, or more often, when I bought from another gaff. 

7 minutes ago, trade vet said:

Hi Jimmy,I have never bothered with car mags or car TV stuff,but last week I picked up a Modern Classics mag ( £4.40p) which nearly put me off.You want to see the prices being charged.That is why I thought that Rover 75 Conniseur last week was too cheap.

There must be some good future classics lurking up your way.

Thats a great mag! There will always be future classics, but the problem at the moment is, everyone who has something old and remotely in good/decent condition think they have a lump of gold! For a car to be a 'future classic', imho, it also as to be good looking/good to drive/sound good or have some other merit other than just being 'old'. 

Had a lad ask me to 'SOR' a 206GTi at the weekend as its going up and value (apparently) and a 'future classic'. I'm not sure I'm with him on that one.

One car I did recently recon would be going up in value was the Mazda RX-8 R3 We sold one a couple of years ago, great car with the proper Recaros and Bilstein dampers. Retailed the car for 6500, now there's only one for sale and its 10k!

Think the sorest 'classics' for us is the NSX we sold around 5years ago for 15995 and the old 911 3.0SC we sold around 10years back for 8985 and struggled with them both!! 

God, if only we knew! 

1 hour ago, Nick M.K. said:

Let me have that petrol Volvo David, should fly out in Greater London. 

So Nick you have just entered to a contract to buy it for £6500. no chipping allowed !

11 minutes ago, trade vet said:

So Nick you have just entered to a contract to buy it for £6500. no chipping allowed !

No. I called David on his mobile, asked him how much he needs for it to be happy out of this deal and will pay him the agreed amount by transfer tomorrow. 

No chipping. 

Remember many years ago after only just starting on my own having a little Civic up for £3195 which was all the money. Was quite happy to get £2995 for it.

Had a chap come in with quite a late plate Frontera that he absolutely hated to drive. He asked would i take it in but i wasnt overly interested. So i asked the question what do you want for it. He said give me £200 and take the Frontera. I said ok and sold it a week later for £7995.

• Like 2

Nice deal this. No wonder everyone says that buying stock nowadays isn’t as easy :-) 

4 hours ago, Nick M.K. said:

The odds are 50:50. It's either the same car or it's not. Some punters have been known to turn up in a different vehicle for the "appraisal" hoping that the dealer will miss the age / mileage / spec / condition difference and will fall for the old "it was on a private plate" scenario :-)

Powder blue Merc though? You don't come by those often, right? Also, I didn't realise people did that lol

2 hours ago, david gott said:

Had someone the other week offer a watch against a car....... loons!!! Mitsuoka ViewT is the strangest car I've ever had a Micra that looks like a jag, we called it the fag,  the worst this year has to be a 2012 volvo 2.0 petrol r design, ticks all the boxes, 27k, fsh etc but Ive had the bugger 6 months, allowed £5700, retail value at the the time was £8500, thought there was a nice margin, its now down to £6500 still no calls but have to agree with Nick its the part exes we make our money on.

What Volvo is it?

29 minutes ago, lastyboy said:

Remember many years ago after only just starting on my own having a little Civic up for £3195 which was all the money. Was quite happy to get £2995 for it.

Had a chap come in with quite a late plate Frontera that he absolutely hated to drive. He asked would i take it in but i wasnt overly interested. So i asked the question what do you want for it. He said give me £200 and take the Frontera. I said ok and sold it a week later for £7995.

That can't be right??

11 hours ago, JimmyGlen said:

One car I did recently recon would be going up in value was the Mazda RX-8 R3 We sold one a couple of years ago, great car with the proper Recaros and Bilstein dampers. Retailed the car for 6500, now there's only one for sale and its 10k!

Think the sorest 'classics' for us is the NSX we sold around 5years ago for 15995 and the old 911 3.0SC we sold around 10years back for 8985 and struggled with them both!! 

God, if only we knew! 

Them bloated old 90’s Supras, a sort of rice burning Trans-Am, seem to of gone the same way. A friend has or had one advertised, apparently they’re as fast as f*** but what about the embarrassment if someone you know sees you in one? :ph34r:

Years ago, 7 or 8 at a guess, I bought a Honda S2000, yellow, a few miles but at the time they were barely worth a toss - they can’t of been otherwise it wouldn’t of came home with me. Horrible car, had to cane it to 6000rpm before anything happened. Anyway I had it absolutely months & couldn’t get a proper sniff on it. Plenty of email dickheads enquiring about tread depths, midnight email traders talking the talk & owners forum wankers making a nuisance of themselves. Eventually I sold it to a local bus driver I knew, for a hard bid “cash, no comebacks”. I now look at the price of them, even interstellar mileage ones make a few quid. Tbh I recently saw an old shitter on DA making more now than I sold it for almost a decade ago.

P/Xs? The days of a decent p/x seem to be few & far between nowadays. They all seem to be f***ed, want the earth for them or even if we’re only a couple of hundred quid adrift they’re prepared to keep them & “Have a go on Gumtree” themselves - good luck Sir!

• Like 1

Well over 20 years ago I took in a white R07 SL450 with a short MOT, it was cheap. Went to put the wipers on and they were waving around like they were having a fit...... The bulkhead was rotten, had to put a new bulkhead in it..... Huge job

12 hours ago, Nick M.K. said:

No. I called David on his mobile, asked him how much he needs for it to be happy out of this deal and will pay him the agreed amount by transfer tomorrow. 

No chipping. 

It was just a joke but I wasn’t able to enter the smiley’s.

12 minutes ago, Arfur Dealy said:

Well over 20 years ago I took in a white R07 SL450 with a short MOT, it was cheap. Went to put the wipers on and they were waving around like they were having a fit...... The bulkhead was rotten, had to put a new bulkhead in it..... Huge job

I really thought your pink Fiat 500 would feature somewhere here :blink:

30 minutes ago, Arfur Dealy said:

Where do you even start with that AD? A new bulkhead! I would have thought a job like that would have rendered it scrap?