Advertising very cheap cars, sub £1500

On 21/11/2018 at 8:28 PM, Arfur Dealy said:

I love the scrappers, easy money. 

Weekend beer money  

Exactly

Why throw away profit

We do the following:

Wash and hoover,drive 20 miles,if any doubt get workshop to ramp it

Usual photos with pictures of all the damage, list every single thing we can find wrong

Advertise spares and repair for the stuff with with faults eg EML light on etc

The downsides are fielding phone calls of non english speakers but you can be as rude as you like. Quite amusing sometimes!

When they turn up no need to spend anytime, just chuck the keys at them and say let me know. You almost have to put them off buying

When they buy ask them to sign a copy of the advert with all faults listed(this bit covers you according to TS)

Recent examples:

Rusty 07 KA with 6 months ticket £100 given in chop sold in 2 days £400

02 Lupo Auto with a months ticket,EML light on and oil leak £200 given in chop to do the deal sold in 4 days £400

I have never had one back yet, % margins are wonderful!:)

But if you do get a screamer refund and scrap it

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, AAM90 said:

Exactly

Why throw away profit

We do the following:

Usual photos with pictures of all the damage, list every single thing we can find wrong

The downsides are fielding phone calls of non english speakers but you can be as rude as you like. Quite amusing sometimes!

When they turn up no need to spend anytime, just chuck the keys at them and say let me know. You almost have to put them off buying

When they buy ask them to sign a copy of the advert with all faults listed(this bit covers you according to TS)

Recent examples:

02 Lupo Auto with a months ticket,EML light on and oil leak £200 given in chop to do the deal sold in 4 days £400

Same here , four in px today complete shite would be my description , gave £100 for 2 of em,+  £400 for a 7 seat Kia Carens diesel thing 100 k ,other three were 1 fiesta 04 , two corsas,one with hardly any paint on it diesel thing it was that he left free to throw away , 1.0 Corsa 90k with no service . 

Did same as above " Soon be gone pal better get down here quick , chuck em keys and tell to bring the cash to the office if they want it " The - Carens £995 , Corsa petrol £495 , No paint Diesel Corsa £150 , Fiesta £495 px to clear gone in 2 hours , £1,500 up on the deals . Best though is they are GONE of the premises not harbouring space up . 

• Like 1

My guess is normal stock if he’s sold 4 scrappers within hours.

I say that cos if you properly advertise them as Spares/Repair Trailered Away it always takes a few days (in my experience) until the right man phones cos the other horrible greedy thick c***s won’t phone when it’s spelled out to them. The horrible thick scum only rush out if they think they’re getting a retail deal.

3 hours ago, AAM90 said:

Exactly

Why throw away profit

We do the following:

Recent examples:

Never had one back yet ? Well good luck to you AA.As you appear to be a ltd co.you just need one of these scrappers to be in a bad accident and you could be looking at both a corporate manslaughter charge and getting wiped out financially.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

On 24/11/2018 at 6:05 PM, tradex said:

Were they sold as spares or repairs David, or just as a usual stock unit? 

Normal drive away stock ebay jokers are painful pillocks , , just a safety check and oil ,water , tyres , wipers lights , they get told what they are , bring em back if you don't want it in 1 hour and i'll refund you . If they work they never come back , The likes of those buyers are pleased to get a car in my view . Does em a favour as they are cheap runners .

Another one left us today , Polo 1.4 03 plate . 95k , some service , one key , Sept MOT 19 £495 , gone in the same day and its raining here too , washed it , checked its brakes , lights and stuff , Gave £100 for it . Got more than that out of the Finance Commission on their newer Fiesta .  

Edited by David Horgan

8 minutes ago, andymc1973 said:

they will be back

Your not kidding.Cheapies are easy to sell,but the potential liability for legitimate dealers is far reaching.Product liability,road safety issues,contributory negligence claims apart from CRA stuff.Then of course a kean VAT inspector might take an interest in the p/x’s and then the names and addresses on their sales invoices which could turn out to be fictitious.Bingo !,they will just make a large assessment and you will have to prove otherwise.......However if you are on benefits and live in council accomodation and have zero assets,no vat,then selling cheapies probably works.

33 minutes ago, trade vet said:

Your not kidding.Cheapies are easy to sell,but the potential liability for legitimate dealers is far reaching.Product liability,road safety issues,contributory negligence claims apart from CRA stuff.Then of course a kean VAT inspector might take an interest in the p/x’s and then the names and addresses on their sales invoices which could turn out to be fictitious.Bingo !,they will just make a large assessment and you will have to prove otherwise.......However if you are on benefits and live in council accomodation and have zero assets,no vat,then selling cheapies probably works.

You must sell them as scrap / unroadworthy which must be trailored away. They complete a Lawgistics Unroadworthy Invoce confirming all of the above. I have never had a comeback.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Arfur Dealy said:

You must sell them as scrap / unroadworthy which must be trailored away. They complete a Lawgistics Unroadworthy Invoce confirming all of the above. I have never had a comeback.

You won’t do if you sell them as SOR but I think TV is referring to selling them as a retail car. 

2 minutes ago, EPV said:

You won’t do if you sell them as SOR but I think TV is referring to selling them as a retail car. 

You'd be crazy to sell the scrap as a retail car...........

2 hours ago, Arfur Dealy said:

You'd be crazy to sell the scrap as a retail car...........

Well, I can see there are opportunities to sell to the right person, in a retail environment. I don’t think we’re talking strictly about pure scrap anyway. 

2 hours ago, Arfur Dealy said:

I spoke to trading standards about this and they said it's a no no, it's trade to private and as utter minefield, you're seen as depriving them of their rights

3 minutes ago, andymc1973 said:

I spoke to trading standards about this and they said it's a no no, it's trade to private and as utter minefield, you're seen as depriving them of their rights

I think TS are wrong here. I realise that is very bold statement but it’s perfectly acceptable to sell an old knacker to anyone for spares or repair under certain circumstances I.e. trailered away, clear advert stating it’s SOR and not phrases like “long MOT” or “drives nicely” which could mislead someone into thinking it is a retail car. In the scenario yes, you are depriving someone of their rights but you’re on the right side of things if you make the advert clear that the car is being sold as unroadworthy, fit for spares or repair and that the car must be towed or trailered away.

Whether you choose to enforce the last part is obviously up to you! 

9 hours ago, EPV said:

I think TS are wrong here. I realise that is very bold statement but it’s perfectly acceptable to sell an old knacker to anyone for spares or repair under certain circumstances I.e. trailered away, clear advert stating it’s SOR and not phrases like “long MOT” or “drives nicely” which could mislead someone into thinking it is a retail car. In the scenario yes, you are depriving someone of their rights but you’re on the right side of things if you make the advert clear that the car is being sold as unroadworthy, fit for spares or repair and that the car must be towed or trailered away.

Whether you choose to enforce the last part is obviously up to you! 

I have to tell you James,it is not a good idea to tell a local government Trading Standards Officer that they are wrong.

1 minute ago, trade vet said:

I have to tell you James,it is not a good idea to tell a local government Trading Standards Officer that they are wrong.

I'm not. I'm pontificating on an internet forum. I still think they are wrong!

10 hours ago, EPV said:

I think TS are wrong here.

Lawgistics have said this many times so on occasions this allegation must've been true (legally speaking)

13 minutes ago, EPV said:

I'm not. I'm pontificating on an internet forum. I still think they are wrong!

OK. However,if you do come into contact with these guys in the future,you must factor in that these people can be typical public sector jobsworths and hate the likes of us.It is better to tell them what they want to hear.

I had one guy over a 20 year period who constantly picked fault with us for the smallest things.

14 minutes ago, tradex said:

Those cheapy customers have too much time on their hands, there is only so much Mr Kyle one can watch, the rest is googling CRA 2018

Did a new CRA came out this year? Don't think so.

If you want customers with A LOT of time on their hands try electric cars. This year I sold 8 (average price £18K) and I must've done 30-35 viewings / test drives averaging 90 minutes. Newly retired accountants / middle-management / architects / engineers / pilots and one 85 year old East London pensioner (Millwall fan) who after buying the car visited me 3 more times with various tech questions. He did leave me glowing reviews, bless him.

On 24/11/2018 at 7:45 PM, trade vet said:

Never had one back yet ? Well good luck to you AA.As you appear to be a ltd co.you just need one of these scrappers to be in a bad accident and you could be looking at both a corporate manslaughter charge and getting wiped out financially.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

Like I said if there is any doubt I get my MOT station to ramp it and if it's a scrapper then off to the knackers yard it goes.

We would never sell a dangerous vehicle. There is a difference between dangerous and a car with a few faults

Does anyone use Redcorn for scrappers? Paying good money at the moment. £180 for a Vectra this week. Best money I've had for a scrapper in a long time

1 hour ago, AAM90 said:

Like I said if there is any doubt I get my MOT station to ramp it and if it's a scrapper then off to the knackers yard it goes.

We would never sell a dangerous vehicle. There is a difference between dangerous and a car with a few faults

Does anyone use Redcorn for scrappers? Paying good money at the moment. £180 for a Vectra this week. Best money I've had for a scrapper in a long time

Send one of them up here !!

Local Garages and I cannot get anyone to take the bastards away, they all want me to pay :(

I have 2 old Vans here, an old Vito 638 which I had the good CDI engine and auto gearbox out of for a job, and my old Pug Expert Van with terminal rot. Both Vans are full to the gunnels with hefty workshop scrap, (heads gearboxes discs drums hubs etc etc plus a load of batteries and cats to go !!

No money in scrap in NW, last year I took a long hi top sprinter filled well with hefty scrap to fraggers, 140 mile round trip, didn't cover the diesel :(

I'm going to chop them all up into little bits next year and bury them under a pile of rocks when I fill in a bit of our croft to concrete a 2500 sq ft base

7 hours ago, tradex said:

In my worthless view, anything, and I do mean anything, be it a monkey shiter or otherwise should get a new MOT if you intend retailing, but we are boring straight edges, and everyone does things differently. 

I must be a bit of a boring straight edge too...

New MOT saves the hassle/grey areas of selling something SOR and commands a better price. If it fails badly it's scrapped and shouldn't have been sold anyway and if it passes it's retailed. I leave the selling of stuff with a few months ticket to the recovery truck boys on facebook.

Sub 1k world is the hardest market because people expect the earth and haven't got a penny to maintain anything they buy...no point muddying the water selling spares or repairs stuff to the mums and dads on the local estate.

Sub £1K market the hardest? It’s every f***ing market under my £4500 at the moment. 

I’ve got a Volvo estate for £3.5k & punters are phoning wanting lumps knocking off the price “cos it might need a clutch”. Needs a f***ing clutch!?!!! There’s f.a. wrong with the clutch. Punters aren’t even see cars & they're already shitting themselves over potential bills because they’ve read on a forum telling them to make sure every secondhand car has FSH, new tyres, new timing belt & new clutch. 

From my perspective EVERY punter at the moment hasn’t got any money for maintenance. Tbh many haven’t got the money for the car they’re calling about.

4 minutes ago, BHM said:

From my perspective EVERY punter at the moment hasn’t got any money for maintenance.

In that case worry if you have a repair business. You are a dealer so the punters' cars' maintenance has little to do with you. 

25 minutes ago, BHM said:

Sub £1K market the hardest? It’s every f***ing market under my £4500 at the moment. 

I’ve got a Volvo estate for £3.5k & punters are phoning wanting lumps knocking off the price “cos it might need a clutch”. Needs a f***ing clutch!?!!! There’s f.a. wrong with the clutch. Punters aren’t even see cars & they're already shitting themselves over potential bills because they’ve read on a forum telling them to make sure every secondhand car has FSH, new tyres, new timing belt & new clutch. 

From my perspective EVERY punter at the moment hasn’t got any money for maintenance. Tbh many haven’t got the money for the car they’re calling about.

Fuck me you’re one depressing c*nt to read. You want a loan of length of rope? Actually i’ll probably not want it back.