Sign in to follow this  
Mark101

Grantham - Garage Required

Hi Guys

Anyone recommend a good indi garage in Grantham Lincs area please?

Got a D5 Volvo with a soot filter (DPF) issue.

Thanks

Can't help with a Garage, but what is the issue, and what codes you getting on what equipment ?

BTW you will probably struggle to find a good Volvo Indie, I do my best to avoid the bastards, deliberately will not buy a Volvo Vida Dice ;) 

I am not with the car, so cannot read codes.

Soot filter full, which I thinks is Volvo's equivalent term of a DPF filter - car gone into limp mode.

Yes Soot Filter = DPF ;)

OK, so it hasn't done an Auto Regen, probably because there is a fault or 2 stopping it, like for example dud Flow Meter, EGR fault, DPF Pressure Sensor etc etc.

If you have Snap Off, Launch, Autel or similar, you should be able to get it to do a forced regen once the fault code(s) are fixed and gone.

Thanks Guys

To be honest, the soot filter full was on when I collected the car.  I ran it for three days (40 mile round trips) and saw loads of black smoke come out and the warning went off.

I tried to do a forced regen on my Autel but Volvo isn't supported.

It has come on again only today, guy does decent journey's and has covered 400 miles in less than a week.  

The guy says it literally will not rev up (typical limp mode) and he doesn't want to drive it, so although your suggestion is appreciated SC, I really need to find somewhere close to him.  I have said he can bring it back here but he doesn't feel happy to drive it.

Just for the record, this isn't a screamer - he is a totally decent lad and I just want to sort it asap for him.

Anyone know Linctraders no.?

1 hour ago, Mark101 said:

Thanks Guys

To be honest, the soot filter full was on when I collected the car.  I ran it for three days (40 mile round trips) and saw loads of black smoke come out and the warning went off.

I tried to do a forced regen on my Autel but Volvo isn't supported.

It has come on again only today, guy does decent journey's and has covered 400 miles in less than a week.  

The guy says it literally will not rev up (typical limp mode) and he doesn't want to drive it, so although your suggestion is appreciated SC, I really need to find somewhere close to him.  I have said he can bring it back here but he doesn't feel happy to drive it.

Just for the record, this isn't a screamer - he is a totally decent lad and I just want to sort it asap for him.

Anyone know Linctraders no.?

@James Bush is over that way I think. 

3 hours ago, Mark101 said:

Hi Guys

Anyone recommend a good indi garage in Grantham Lincs area please?

Got a D5 Volvo with a soot filter (DPF) issue.

Thanks

Mark I know this isn’t a help now but don’t mess about selling cars with full DPFs. Replacements for D5s start at about £130+VAT depending upon the model. 

For most run of the mill stuff nowadays if it’s got a few miles on it & the DPF is full just replace it. 

Thank you Mark

I appreciate your input on this.

And thanks Rory, I had the same thought but albeit close in distance they are 1 1/2 hours drive away.

I will update you all.

59 minutes ago, BHM said:

if it’s got a few miles on it & the DPF is full just replace it. 

That makes no sense, if it's full it is because something else is faulty and preventing Auto Regen, so all you are doing by changing it is correcting the symptom, not the illness .........................

Another few hundred miles and the DPF will be chokka again :(

Hi Mark

What year is it? These things need to be looked at by somebody that know what they are doing, we got one that a local Bosch service centre got their hands on and renewed everything, only to need a new valve guide! had a cracked valve guide and a bent valve (ran perfectly too apart from the plumes of blue smoke intermittently).

Turbo hoses are very common causing the DPF to keep filling up as quickly as its trying to get emptied!

1 hour ago, Dave2302 said:

That makes no sense, if it's full it is because something else is faulty and preventing Auto Regen, so all you are doing by changing it is correcting the symptom, not the illness .........................

Another few hundred miles and the DPF will be chokka again :(

Possibly but DPFs do not last forever & regens don’t clear them 100%. 

It’s a 57 plate done 162k.

DPF aside, the thing drives absolutely mint, seriously it is stunning.  I thought my 3 day blast had sorted it as no issues whatsoever and neither for the customer over 400 miles.

There were no faults present when I scanned the car pre sale and it certainly wasn’t down on power.

Like I say, nice customer to have, very genuine so he will get the best attention including a refund if I cannot sort it out.

Thanks for all the tips and help guys.

The car is rammed with service history but the last owner comes from a little village by me, hasn’t had it long at all (March) and I reckon they only did short hops and thus promoted a DPF issue.

I was convinced it was sorted after driving it and I gave it a good run before committing to a new windscreen, new discs and a timing kit + full service. Even when you try and do everything right, it can still bite you but hey ho.

Very true, hindsight’s a wonderful thing. Assuming there’s no other issue then simply a full DPF = strip & clean OR replace DPF. 

Unless its contaminated with Oil there should never really be any need to replace a DPF.

Have you tried the DPF doctor?

Their website states there is a branch in Lincoln.

Our local branch is ran by a very knowledgeable guy that gives lessons to their other agents/branches.

2 minutes ago, Stalker said:

Unless its contaminated with Oil there should never really be any need to replace a DPF.

Have you tried the DPF doctor?

Their website states there is a branch in Lincoln.

Our local branch is ran by a very knowledgeable guy that gives lessons to their other agents/branches.

Good shout Stalker - thank you.

I hate sending work out because they always find additional (and unprovable)  faults.

6 hours ago, Stalker said:

Thank you !!

And I've even lit one or two of the oil filled ones up (turbo failures) :D 

They've been fine when re fitted and re-genned ;)

Trouble is there aren't many of us who actually understand them ;)

• Like 1

Ok Guys - just to close this thread.

Very reasonable punter was prepared to park the car up for a week until a suitable garage could attend to the issue.

I have to say, fantastic service - they called to tell me it is all done and ready for our now mutual customer to collect.

The fault? A missing clip from a turbo pipe and a blocked spot filter/DPF - forced regen and ECU reset - test drive = now faults remain.

The cost - £148 (inc the VAT)

Chuffed for me and Customer.

T2 Garages

Dealt with Helen but I think it is Kev swinging the spanners around

Can't recommend them enough (or spell recommend)

Had a call from the customer today and my heart sank..... Just wanting to thank me for sorting his now perfect car out :D