Sign in to follow this  
Contracts

Checking PX Mileage

How many of you are doing full mileage and history checks on cars you are taking in PX?  

We have a nice year old 3 series for sale at a good price and agreed a deal with a chap who came in yesterday. 

He had a 2011 62k 3 Series that had all the right bits, MOT history looked good, all BMW stamps in the history, no obvious wear but it seemed over serviced as it had 6 BMW stamps in the book.  

A quick call to the dealer in the book, what a surprise, never seen the car but it had been in other dealers at 19k, 38k, 49k and 67k with the last being in 2014.  Clearly clocked before first MOT and pre filled service book purchased from e-bay.  Nearly a costly mistake, when I pointed it out I could tell he knew!  

Dodged a bullet there but over serviced at 62k and 7 years old? Looks spot on servicing to me! 

HPI clear, NMR correct, DVLA MOT history correct (showing just over 20k on first MOT).  Guessing it had a clean 50k wiped off.

30 minutes ago, EPV said:

Dodged a bullet there but over serviced at 62k and 7 years old? Looks spot on servicing to me! 

Last serviced in 2014 so it has 6 in three years lol that’s a lot 

3 minutes ago, CPM said:

Last serviced in 2014 so it has 6 in three years lol that’s a lot 

Sorry yes, you did say that! 

Probably not made that clear, book (you can buy them from e-bay pre stamped with the garage of your choice) was 8k, 16k, 24k, 32k, 40k etc

Doubt the car had actually been serviced for real since it was clocked in 2014.

Edited by Contracts

18 minutes ago, Contracts said:

HPI clear, NMR correct, DVLA MOT history correct (showing just over 20k on first MOT).

In the WBAC sections (UK Car Group) at BCA this would be "mileage warranted".

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Contracts said:

book (you can buy them from e-bay pre stamped with the garage of your choice)

I’ve just looked online - one of the sellers titles includes “CHOOSE HOW MANY STAMPS YOU NEED” :lol:

FFS and the average Johnny Scumbag Punter says WE are the dodgy ones.

• Like 1

BRAND NEW AND GENUINE MERCEDES  SERVICE BOOK STAMPED TO YOUR CHOICE. NO DUPLICATE WRITTEN ANYWHERE, WE HAVE MULTIPLE MERCEDES LOCATIONS THAT WE CAN USE TO STAMP YOUR BOOK,ALL MERCEDES LOCATIONS ARE MENTIONED BELOW 

PLEASE NOTE WE DO NOT FILL IN ANY DETAILS INSIDE THE BOOK, OUR OFFICE STAFF WILL JUST STAMP THE BOOK TO HOW YOU HAVE ASKED THEM TO,YOU WILL HAVE TO FILL IN YOUR VEHICLE DETAILS AND MILEAGE ECT YOURSELF.......

MERCEDES LOCATIONS AVAILABLE:

* MERCEDES-BENZ , WATFORD
* MERCEDES-BENZ , NOTTINGHAM 
* MERCEDES-BENZ , BIRMINGHAM
* MERCEDES-BENZ LOGO ( WITHOUT LOCATION) 

PLEASE NOTE WHEN MAKING PAYMENT LEAVE A MESSAGE IN THE PAYPAL PAYMENT BOX HOW MANY STAMPS YOU REQUIRE IN THE BOOK OR PRIVATE MESSAGE ME ON EBAY.  

ALL ITEMS ARE DISPATCHED THE SAME DAY IF ORDERED BEFORE 2PM FIRST CLASS SIGNED FOR.

CHECK OUT MY OTHER ITEMS FOR MORE GENUINE SERVICE HISTORY BOOKS FOR OTHER CARS.

PLEASE NOTE THESE BOOKS ARE GENUINE ITEMS AND NOT FAKE PHOTO COPYS.

PLEASE NOTE THAT BY PURCHASING THIS ITEM YOU ARE REPLACING LOST OR DAMAGED SERVICE HISTORY, AND NOT IN ANY SHAPE OR FORM MAKING UP HISTORY FOR YOUR VEHICLE.

/\ /\ /\
Yeah Right !!
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, Dave2302 said:

BRAND NEW AND GENUINE MERCEDES  SERVICE BOOK STAMPED TO YOUR CHOICE. NO DUPLICATE WRITTEN ANYWHERE, WE HAVE MULTIPLE MERCEDES LOCATIONS THAT WE CAN USE TO STAMP YOUR BOOK,ALL MERCEDES LOCATIONS ARE MENTIONED BELOW 

PLEASE NOTE WE DO NOT FILL IN ANY DETAILS INSIDE THE BOOK, OUR OFFICE STAFF WILL JUST STAMP THE BOOK TO HOW YOU HAVE ASKED THEM TO,YOU WILL HAVE TO FILL IN YOUR VEHICLE DETAILS AND MILEAGE ECT YOURSELF.......

MERCEDES LOCATIONS AVAILABLE:

* MERCEDES-BENZ , WATFORD
* MERCEDES-BENZ , NOTTINGHAM 
* MERCEDES-BENZ , BIRMINGHAM
* MERCEDES-BENZ LOGO ( WITHOUT LOCATION) 

PLEASE NOTE WHEN MAKING PAYMENT LEAVE A MESSAGE IN THE PAYPAL PAYMENT BOX HOW MANY STAMPS YOU REQUIRE IN THE BOOK OR PRIVATE MESSAGE ME ON EBAY.  

ALL ITEMS ARE DISPATCHED THE SAME DAY IF ORDERED BEFORE 2PM FIRST CLASS SIGNED FOR.

CHECK OUT MY OTHER ITEMS FOR MORE GENUINE SERVICE HISTORY BOOKS FOR OTHER CARS.

PLEASE NOTE THESE BOOKS ARE GENUINE ITEMS AND NOT FAKE PHOTO COPYS.

PLEASE NOTE THAT BY PURCHASING THIS ITEM YOU ARE REPLACING LOST OR DAMAGED SERVICE HISTORY, AND NOT IN ANY SHAPE OR FORM MAKING UP HISTORY FOR YOUR VEHICLE.

/\ /\ /\
Yeah Right !!

That's fucking disgusting. Had a trader approach me at auction saying you can get stamps saying "Nationwide Autocentre" and fill up your service history. It was back when I'd first started trading. Never took him up on his offer, but it certainly answered my question about where this "Nationwide Autocentre" was that I'd seen in some service books.

But to pretend it's been at a main dealer takes the biscuit.

When you think about it,supplying fake stamped up service books may not be a prosecutable offence.I bought a BCA WBAC FSH Car last year.Our guys pointed out that although the mileage appeared genuine,the dealer stamps were not because the dealer closed down 20 years ago ! 

• Like 1

Lets be honest, since when did service history mean fuck all, all depends on who has serviced it, or even who was working at a "Good" Dealership at that point in time !!

Someone selling me a Car with Full Service History doesn't get any better bid than one with no paperwork ;) 

1 hour ago, Dave2302 said:

Lets be honest, since when did service history mean fuck all, all depends on who has serviced it, or even who was working at a "Good" Dealership at that point in time !!

Someone selling me a Car with Full Service History doesn't get any better bid than one with no paperwork ;) 

Service history means a lot in my experience. Almost any car we've bought with no history has been a bugger to sell, regardless of price range. Not all, but most of them.

People suddenly think the mileage isn't genuine or that the cars never been looked after. 

(Genuine) service history usually means the car has been looked after, not abused, kept tidy etc. And certainly you've got a better shot at the engine running well if it's been regularly maintained.

12 minutes ago, tradegirl said:

Service history means a lot in my experience. Almost any car we've bought with no history has been a bugger to sell, regardless of price range. Not all, but most of them.

People suddenly think the mileage isn't genuine or that the cars never been looked after. 

(Genuine) service history usually means the car has been looked after, not abused, kept tidy etc. And certainly you've got a better shot at the engine running well if it's been regularly maintained.

My neighbour bought a new Mondeo back in the late 90s. He use to change the filters and put the very best oil in every 6 months. He use to spend every Sunday waxing it and would say I'm not putting my car in a main dealers and have a yts kid of 16 touching my car. 

He was dead right I had a site at the time next to a main dealer who had YTS lads doing the servicing and they use to come in for a chat and say they are allowed something like 20 minutes per car for an interim service.

That Mondeo was the best Mondeo on the road when he so old it with an empty service book. People pay too much attention to service history but I'd hate to try and sell a car without it.

5 hours ago, Pip said:

My neighbour bought a new Mondeo back in the late 90s. He use to change the filters and put the very best oil in every 6 months. He use to spend every Sunday waxing it and would say I'm not putting my car in a main dealers and have a yts kid of 16 touching my car. 

He was dead right I had a site at the time next to a main dealer who had YTS lads doing the servicing and they use to come in for a chat and say they are allowed something like 20 minutes per car for an interim service.

That Mondeo was the best Mondeo on the road when he so old it with an empty service book. People pay too much attention to service history but I'd hate to try and sell a car without it.

You are right in that I've seen cars with full history and they've come in with a blown engine and I'm baffled as to how. Meanwhile my brother had an L reg Mondeo that only died because we let it sit for too long while he was away, and mate had a Carisma that ran forever and he let the cambelt fail just to give him a reason to change cars, and neither of them had ever been to a main dealer.

So yeah, there are exceptions, but it certainly helps with pricing and sales.

13 hours ago, Pip said:

Absolutely +1 , that's exactly what I was trying to convey.

Of course I realise that a lot of bunters like a stamped book, but they just don't know the difference, and tbh, that's fine, ignorance is bliss.

That's why EBay has Service Books :lol::lol::lol:

What I am saying is I will not pay extra for a FMDSH Car !! I would not buy a personal car with FMDSH, unless it was under a year old, my E Class for example ;)

And it isn't just MB Dealerships, it is any make, and also there are Yee Ha's everywhere, minefield. There are also some good MD's and Garages, but if my locale, (both when in England and also where I am now), is / was anything to go on, there are also a lot more bad than good :(

A private punter who says he has looked after the Car is the Car I prefer to buy, after I have asked him a couple of questions to suss out whether he actually knows about such things or whether he's a tosser ;)

It won't work for you guys, but almost all of my Sales Cars come from Privates. Late Cars, the guy has had a stupid offer to px it, or can't sell privately, and I (accidentally get talking to them), step in and save the day :D

The Sunday Pub ritual, and all the gossip about everyone elses business gives me the leads

its according if you are a buyer or a seller< The same person buying your car has a different attitude towards service history on the car he is chopping in and the one he is purchasing

seller car.................. 100 k car 2 services last at 99k  ............... he will argue its a full history

car he is buying ................100k car serviced services 7 times annually.......................   he will bloody well argue its not a full history