Sign in to follow this  
andymc1973

autel maxicheck pro obd reader , just bought

did anyone buy one of these? I'm struggling to reset the service lights on VAG cars? Any experts?

Yes sure, 

From the list of systems select channel 17 – Instrument Panel, then from the several options select Service Reset

Select Manual Read Write of Adaptation Channels

Channel 053 (Days since last service) and Channel 055 (Service scope lock out) are the most common channel numbers on VAG cars. 

Manually edit the channel values (40 for example will mean 40 days after service so the light will stay on)

You need the values on these channels to be 0 which tells the cluster that the service has just been completed and starts the count until the next. 

Edit both channel 053 and 055 values to 0 and bingo!

Edited by Nick M.K.

0 as in ZERO

Actually it may need to be 000

Edited by Nick M.K.

Nick, I’m going into oil reset, Europe, Audi, then oil service, enter function. Then what? 

Thanks 

Do you have this function in one of the sub-menus: 

Manual Read Write of Adaptation Channels

I think I’ve sussed it, I was hoping for a button that says reset oil service mate 

I managed to input 000 and it’s worked 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, tradex said:

Our Foxwell has a simple oil reset function for Audi's...thank f*;)ck

We throw a packet of ham into the workshop and they all just magically get done :lol:

This looks like a really good bit of kit for the money?

I'm guessing I'm the only one that doesn't have one!:unsure:

5 hours ago, met said:

There is a much higher level Autel for around £450. Was mentioned in a recent thread. 

My Snap On is getting old and I think I'll replace it with a Launch this time. 

5 hours ago, met said:

I'm guessing I'm the only one that doesn't have one!:unsure:

Nope, I wouldn’t know where to start. I have a billy basic one that comes in handy from time to time! I’ve always thought it’s one thing to have a good diag tool but it’s another to learn how to interpret what you are seeing correctly. I don’t seem to have time to get the basics done at the moment never mind learn how to interpret fault codes correctly! 

I like to learn, i’m always asking questions whenever a car of mine is being worked on but I prefer to leave that sort of thing to the experts and spend my time doing something else! I’d love to have the time to understand more but there’s only so much one man can do...

• Like 1

I have the Autel Maxi Pro and it is good for EML fault reading and easy to use.  Gives me a little bit of gravitas when booking car in for recon, when really I am pretty hopeless mechanically.

I believe, a bit like painting (as in artist), you need a high level of natural ability/interest/enthusiasm - you can't simply learn it.

Proud of myself this week, I changed a N/S/R light cluster on a V70 mk3 - presumed a few bolts inside access panel....No, bumper off job but did it......thanks YouTube :D

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Nick M.K. said:

There is a much higher level Autel for around £450. Was mentioned in a recent thread. 

My old launch died last year. It certainly paid for itself!

10 hours ago, EPV said:

Nope, I wouldn’t know where to start. I have a billy basic one that comes in handy from time to time! I’ve always thought it’s one thing to have a good diag tool but it’s another to learn how to interpret what you are seeing correctly. I don’t seem to have time to get the basics done at the moment never mind learn how to interpret fault codes correctly! 

I like to learn, i’m always asking questions whenever a car of mine is being worked on but I prefer to leave that sort of thing to the experts and spend my time doing something else! I’d love to have the time to understand more but there’s only so much one man can do...

That's all very true, and i find it a struggle to absorb a lot of the theory. Finding i have to reread things, its an age thing!

Speaking as a son with a mum suffering from chronic dementia, 'use it or lose it!'

11 hours ago, EPV said:

I’ve always thought it’s one thing to have a good diag tool but it’s another to learn how to interpret what you are seeing correctly

You scan it with the tool, you paste the fault text (not just a code) in Google and voila: all the knowledge in the world at your fingertips. Diagnostics is far more than that of course and you'll learn as you go but a good own tool and a good garage as a back up option makes life a lot easier. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Nick M.K. said:

You scan it with the tool, you paste the fault text (not just a code) in Google and voila: all the knowledge in the world at your fingertips. Diagnostics is far more than that of course and you'll learn as you go but a good own tool and a good garage as a back up option makes life a lot easier. 

14 hours ago, Nick M.K. said:

Nick,

IMHO the Autel is a much better machine than Launch, which is better than Snap On, in the same price bracket of course ;)

If you are replacing your Solus I'd be looking at the Autels around £1000 mark ;)

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Dave2302 said:

Nick,

IMHO the Autel is a much better machine than Launch, which is better than Snap On, in the same price bracket of course ;)

If you are replacing your Solus I'd be looking at the Autels around £1000 mark ;)

I use the Launch x431 V+ pro. In my opinion it is superb. Does everything and uses a wireless OBD connector so you can be working in the engine bay whilst reading live data. 

Autel uses Wireless (bluetooth) IIRC

Simple fact is no one machine does all, so it also depends what Cars you sell a lot of, and of course there is absolutely no substitute for Dealer Level kit ........................

This is why I have 3 Generics and 10 Dealer level ;)

Oh, and also just bought Autel Hand Held TPMS 401 as it is quick on TPMS Faults / Programming / Sensor Checking

Yes around a grand, not much more. 

I need one does all machine and ideally Xentry and VCDS for the Mercs and VAG. 

My Snap On is the entry level Ethos+, the best £900 or so I spent in 2013. Still worth a few quid "lightly" used. It amazes me how limited it is compared to Autologic or the dealer level software. But has served well. 

Obd eleven is brilliant for VAG and Carista ain't bad either. I'm not saying it's on Ross tech level but both can reset service lights, do a bit of coding, show pending faults, full system scans etc. if you buy and sell a lot of vag cars then it's almost a must have because of ease of use. 

Nick, for Dealer Level I can fully recommend this guy:-

https://www.obdstore.co.uk/product-category/manufacturer-specific/

No affiliation other than a very satisfied Customer, I did have a problem with one machine, and on a Sunday he replied to my Email saying phone me now, which I did, then he set up team viewer and his techie came on at 6 pm on the Sunday night and sorted it straight away. I have since bought other stuff and been very happy ;)

Autel under 1k, heres the one I'd go for if I were you, I actually bought the Elite Pro, but you don't need that, this is as good as it gets unless you are into programming ;) :-

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Autel-MaxiSys-MS906-WIFI-Diagnosis-OBD2-Auto-Car-Scan-Pad-Reader-F-Audi-Benz-Kia/263447391064?epid=10016823727&hash=item3d56b02b58:g:8r8AAOSwa3ZbwYEI

I just bought a handheld TPMS 401 off them, good helpful seller ;)

HTH, Cheers Dave

BTW, VAG Com is very intuitive and easy to use, and "Full Version" does all.

SDS / DAS / Xentry be prepared for a steep learning curve, but it is the only machine for MB's.

Autel will be quicker to use for day to day scanning and resets, dealer level kit when it's a less simple problem ;)

Continental do a VDO scanner . Was shocked what it could do for the money. Currently on sale at £599 through Hinkleys and someone else. Reduced from £1500. I bought it simply because my oldest mechanic is 60 years old and he struggles with some of the newer scanners and this is the easiest machine I have ever used.

12 hours ago, lastyboy said:

my oldest mechanic is 60 years old

I mean this in the nicest way ;)

He sounds like a mate of mine bless him, with a Workshop fairly local to me. 

He always tells me "These modern Cars are shit, what was wrong with Carburettors, Points and Condensers anyway" :) 

Sends me all the cars with the "Devils Work" ;)

14 hours ago, lastyboy said:

my oldest mechanic is 60 years old

The best mechanic we have ever had is 61. He rarely digs holes, and when he does.... he knows exactly how deep to dig them and how to fill them back in afterwards.

He still works for us, and runs rings around the other two mechs we have.