Sign in to follow this  
NickGCS

Better offer for part ex.....

Had a cracker today

Middle aged couple looking at our mini, wife was very pleasant, husband was a know it all. They had a nice low mileage MX-5 to part ex

I (generously I thought) bid them £6k......

husband “hmmm we’ve been offered more than that from one of these car buying sites”

No problem sir please take it there, get good money and you’re welcome to come back and buy mines!

The humming and hawing continues for quite some time, meanwhile husband starts ringing around these WBAC-type places while the 3 of us are mid conversation, wife is mortified. 

“We will have a think about it”

”no problem at all thanks for coming out- if you don’t mind me asking, how much more have you been offered you for the Mazda?”

”£6,014”

Incredible.  

47 minutes ago, twerp said:

Round up your offer to £6100 and remind them of WBAC admin fees 

Not forgetting they will chip the bollox out of the car when they get there!!

• Like 2

Let him go there and them chip him a monkey for issues you wouldn’t bother about.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, twerp said:

Round up your offer to £6100 and remind them of WBAC admin fees 

Not a chance for this guy, he will be trouble! I hope some one else buys it and he rings back....

27 minutes ago, tradex said:

Ahh, you see MX5 is really code for VW Golf.....;)

Except the owners have strange delusions of 'sportyness', 'ring stickers, roll over bars, headbands, squash racquets and a lot of beige Regatta fleaces

and are dipping into their pension pot

I had a scenario yesterday when a lady brought a friend (also a lady, don’t get excited they didn’t look as you may picture them) who’s pride and joy was? An mx-5. I almost stopped the test drive as soon as she told me as I thought there’s no possible way this lady won’t find something wrong with the car but low and behold she couldn’t. 

See, they do exist! 

I have a lovely MX5 for sale at the moment and the questions these punters are asking. 

One chap asked no less than 20 questions, "yes sir matching Bridgestone tyres, full Mazda history, 2 owners from new, immaculate inside and out, etc" and then asked if I could get the car on a ramp for him and take numerous photographs of the underside to "see if the water has got it". I politely declined but said he is more than welcome to come down and crawl under it if he so wishes. Funny enough I haven't heard anything since. 

1 hour ago, tradex said:

...............and are dipping into their pension pot

+1:D

20 minutes ago, James01 said:

I have a lovely MX5 for sale at the moment and the questions these punters are asking. 

One chap asked no less than 20 questions, "yes sir matching Bridgestone tyres, full Mazda history, 2 owners from new, immaculate inside and out, etc" and then asked if I could get the car on a ramp for him and take numerous photographs of the underside to "see if the water has got it". I politely declined but said he is more than welcome to come down and crawl under it if he so wishes. Funny enough I haven't heard anything since. 

Must have asked for buying advice on Piston Heads?

1 hour ago, met said:

+1:D

Must have asked for buying advice on Piston Heads?

no

older ones are just rot boxes

might as well buy into the thing totally and buy an mg and be done

now wheres me trunnion brush

MX5 Owners :) cant stand em 

Just slightly worse than Porsche Owners in my view .

Both send shivers down my spine , and i really have to sharpen my tongue if we are unfortunate to take one PX just to get my own back , PX questions spin the owners head out and get em wriggling with their lies about its condition and service when I get going :) .

13 hours ago, NickGCS said:

Had a cracker today

Middle aged couple looking at our mini, wife was very pleasant, husband was a know it all. They had a nice low mileage MX-5 to part ex

I (generously I thought) bid them £6k......

husband “hmmm we’ve been offered more than that from one of these car buying sites”

No problem sir please take it there, get good money and you’re welcome to come back and buy mines!

The humming and hawing continues for quite some time, meanwhile husband starts ringing around these WBAC-type places while the 3 of us are mid conversation, wife is mortified. 

“We will have a think about it”

”no problem at all thanks for coming out- if you don’t mind me asking, how much more have you been offered you for the Mazda?”

”£6,014”

Incredible.  

OMG £14 better off without him I reckon 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, David Horgan said:

MX5 Owners :) cant stand em 

Just slightly worse than Porsche Owners in my view .

Both send shivers down my spine , and i really have to sharpen my tongue if we are unfortunate to take one PX just to get my own back , PX questions spin the owners head out and get em wriggling with their lies about its condition and service when I get going :) .

OMG £14 better off without him I reckon 

Haha. Alarm bells going left right and centre 

17 minutes ago, boring dave said:

no

older ones are just rot boxes

might as well buy into the thing totally and buy an mg and be done

now wheres me trunnion brush

But, these on-line car clubs have endless turgid buying guides, where every minute aspect of a car has to be ticked before purchasing. If all those one make clubs maintained their cars to the same standard as detailed in their pre purchase inspections, they'd all be 'perfect'? They all want to buy a car lavished in attention with no expense spared but don't understand their obligations to carry on like that when they are the owner. Instead the poor things get 'tracked to fuck', budget tyres and only see a workshop when it fails the MOT.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Blenheim Car Sales said:

reading this thread i just added another to the banned and never  buy list

MX5

RX8 Kia Sportage, Citroens with EGS, anything Powershift ect ect ect

Why the Kia Sportage ?

Too many on the market?

I had a painful experience with 2.0 tdi EGR DPF and emissions............... it put me  of them, first and last one i told myself, was a PX so of course customer  knew all issues he was putting my way

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, twerp said:

Why the Kia Sportage ?

Too many on the market?

Cos they’re cheaply put together (although mechanically strong) & the owners are bottom dollar punters who know the price of everything but the value of nothing. 

1 hour ago, twerp said:

7 year warranties mind (which they need given the price of parts)

My stock is 8-12 years old.

13 minutes ago, BHM said:

Ok fair enough. 

Are you in Birmingham (BHM) ??

3 hours ago, BHM said:

Have not claimed one a Kia warranty for a while but they have strict criteria for servicing and the warranty used to tier down as the car got older.

Having said that had anyone tried to claim on Vauxhall lately?  They want DNA

• Like 1