Sign in to follow this  
Blenheim Car Sales

Why do customers carry on looking for cars after depositing

Sold a Tiguan Sport 4 motion DSG on 12 plate to fella, left a deposit collection this afternoon, Gave him a discount that i would not normally entertain but i like getting rid of high end stock quick as exposure to market prices and depreciation are greater, Plus it was silver i find they sometimes stick 

Fella calls me up this morning using a competitor car to bully me with a further discount after we have deposits and order forms signed, Its very frustrating and annoying that a customer feels they have so little commitment in the transaction that they feel they can back out of  it in a heartbeat, He obviously wanted my car took me as a soft touch given the  discount i had negotiated ( i did have £1400 in it ), Considered i was going to bend on every occasion and he was wrong, I cancelled the deal, Told him i do not do dutch auctions and its best i withdraw from this process

If they are  nightmare before they  have brought it they are likely to be  more so after delivery experience tells me, I will return his deposit but not in the month of October

Sounds like you did the right thing unwind and put it back up. I dont discount that often if  i do its £90 off a £7990 car for example and thats it. The more discount you do the more they will come back and try more. 

I’d politely decline his request for a further discount and leave it there. If he then wanted to back out i’d keep his deposit and fuck him. 

As you say he’s taken your kindness for weakness and thinks he can push you more. 

We put a lot of time and effort into sourcing and prepping the cars taking risks on them being sound and wiping ass after sale so why should we give it all away to punters who will scream at the slightest problem. Fixed price is the only way and tell them we prefer customers with a px who want Finance... 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, EPV said:

I’d politely decline his request for a further discount and leave it there. If he then wanted to back out i’d "keep his deposit and fuck him"

As you say he’s taken your kindness for weakness and thinks he can push you more. 

If that's what you're into :P

(A bit trickier with over the phone sales) but we strongly point out that the deposit is non-refundable and do a signed deposit slip outlining this. 

This stops any of these games. 

i would have deducted advert costs and admin charges before he got a refund off me

just rewrite your sales invoice stating its a contract to purchase and an administration charge etc will be payable if the sale is voided by either party

get them to sign it

job done

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NOACROSS said:

(A bit trickier with over the phone sales) but we strongly point out that the deposit is non-refundable and do a signed deposit slip outlining this. 

This stops any of these games. 

Indeed, precisely what my deposit slip states. It's a contract they are entering, they only reason you aren't asking for all of the money there and then is because they are not taking the car there and then. 

Why do customer's carry on looking for cars after depositing?

To be fair I carry on looking on my phone for all sorts after 'depositing'....... :ph34r:

• Like 1

4 hours ago, whitestone679231 said:

tell them we prefer customers with a px who want Finance... 

+1. 

When the phone rings and the customers want £10K finance plus their "I know you don't want it" Honda Jazz CVT that they've had for 6 years and want "at least £300 for it" they have my undivided attention and I even close the browser window with this forum page.  

• Like 3

18 hours ago, EPV said:

I’d politely decline his request for a further discount and leave it there. If he then wanted to back out i’d keep his deposit and fuck him. 

+1.