Sign in to follow this  
Nick M.K.

Autotrader and Video Views

As some of you know I don't rely heavily on video but I have a 1-2 minute full walkaround YouTube videos embedded in my Autotrader Ads. 

The Autotrader response tracker tells me that some of my ads have 30, 40, 100 video views. At the same time my YouTube control panel tells me the same videos have 3,7,15 views...

Is this because AT are lying (CarGurus style) or YouTube simply counts all views on a certain video through the Autotrader website / app as one single view?  I am just curious as to how many customers actually watch these videos as the adverts themselves are seen by a lot of people and the phones ring on the same cars.

Thank you for that insight. Confirms what I've been saying on another forum for years. 

My video stats are also in conflict depending where I look Nick  

(I do muted videos, as I too don’t like the sales pitch ones, but, as always, it’s horses for courses.)

11 minutes ago, Nick M.K. said:

Thank you for that insight. Confirms what I've been saying on another forum for years. 

which other forum out of interest? :) 

58 minutes ago, Nick M.K. said:

As some of you know I don't rely heavily on video but I have a 1-2 minute full walkaround YouTube videos embedded in my Autotrader Ads. 

The Autotrader response tracker tells me that some of my ads have 30, 40, 100 video views. At the same time my YouTube control panel tells me the same videos have 3,7,15 views...

Is this because AT are lying (CarGurus style) or YouTube simply counts all views on a certain video through the Autotrader website / app as one single view?  I am just curious as to how many customers actually watch these videos as the adverts themselves are seen by a lot of people and the phones ring on the same cars.

If you watch an embedded video it won’t count as a you tube view. 

This was my thinking as well. I didn't believe they would lie for something so obvious. 

I've been batting on for years about Video's ' they sell cars for me' ! my Customers love my vidoeo's , I don't like silent video's and some of what I've seen with 'just the wrong music' - it's a very fine balance between right music, silent movie and not OTT video over sell. 

Each one to their own but those not doing vidoe's are missing out. 

Nick - I don't really look at the stats , some stats are just bizarre ! one of the most watched video I have on youtube is a Rover 75 :) 

1 View - 1 sale = happy days , 2000 Views no sale = Pointless !

• Like 2

5 hours ago, NOACROSS said:

My video stats are also in conflict depending where I look Nick  

(I do muted videos, as I too don’t like the sales pitch ones, but, as always, it’s horses for courses.)

I'm totally with you on that. I do videos of most of my stock but mostly always set to music. Firstly I can't stand the sound of my own voice and don't have the gift of the gabb and secondly I think that some of them with a sales pitch sound a little bit " Oooo.oh suits You Sir" if you catch my drift.

33 minutes ago, Autolink100 said:

I'm totally with you on that. I do videos of most of my stock but mostly always set to music. Firstly I can't stand the sound of my own voice and don't have the gift of the gabb and secondly I think that some of them with a sales pitch sound a little bit " Oooo.oh suits You Sir" if you catch my drift.

i hope you threw your head back as you wrote that bit:P

17 minutes ago, boring dave said:

i hope you threw your head back as you wrote that bit:P

What music do you use.That must be important,if you have a pink Fiat 500 and you use a Metallica or Judas Priest track,that may not help.

5 minutes ago, trade vet said:

If you use a Metallica or Judas Priest track

That track will only work if you are selling demolition equipment. 

I have sold more units since doing Vids. Ok Im from rural Norfolk and i sound like a total farmer on my vids but i really dont care.

Interesting if you point out a scratch on a car and a customers turns up and walks straight to it you know they have seen the vid.

Also 1 view or 50 views, it only take the right person to view the video. Also so quick to add them to you tube in this day and age.

For me videos work brilliantly, I like to keep them under 3 minutes, just a quick walk around giving an honest appraisal of the car, no cheesy phrases, no jokey banter, (I don’t find many comedians funny so why would people find me funny) no put on voice like Alan partridge, just be yourself and you can’t go wrong. Most customers mention they had seen the video and it gave them confidence in coming down to view the car. I think most people hate the sound of their own voice, it’s horrible!! but once you get used to it and into a good routine it really is easy and for the sake of 2-3 minutes it’s well worth doing! 

• Like 1

Love videos, usually do a commentary over most of them and keep them to around 90 seconds, I too hate the sound of my own voice and try to get my daughter to do some of them when she's got time, they do get commented on and strongly believe it builds up trust rather than just music but I guess its personal preference. my website guy says the stats are different due to it only counting the autotrader or anywhere else you have it embedded as the referrer so I do get 30-40 views on a car in my autotrader portal but that might only count as 1 on the youtube

This is why I mute the audio (on the camera). I also don’t add any overlay music.

That and I don’t want to talk on the video. I will point to any areas of note, including minor marks and spec. like AC, heated seats, nav etc. 

You’ll have to take the car to a quiet location I guess otherwise. 

Edited by NOACROSS

Tradex. The thing about videos is once you have found your routine it becomes a lot simpler. It's the future so should be embraced, from the constant feedback I get, my billies always comment about the personal description, and the fact they feel they can trust me. If you are monatonic and without character, I think you just become boring, the same with a video without comentary, its just boring... At the end of the day the video is your opportunity to sell yourself and the car, remember people buy from people.. 

1 hour ago, tradex said:

I'm finding these videos a LOT harder than I thought, wind noise, too bright sun, cars driving by with billy zorsts, lorries driving past, the sound of police sirens constantly in the background....

Move out da hood nigga 

3 hours ago, tradex said:

I'm finding these videos a LOT harder than I thought, wind noise, too bright sun, cars driving by with billy zorsts, lorries driving past, the sound of police sirens constantly in the background....

Same here. So I don't do a voiceover, I just use ambient relaxing music which YouTube puts automatically in the video instead of the original sound. Takes seconds to do without needing any editing skills. 

On 23/09/2018 at 8:44 AM, tradex said:

Lovely part of the world, where in Norfolk? My brother in law lives up that way just outside Norwich, has a site in town, and we have just bought a house near Hingham.

Scole mate. Little village near Diss.