Sign in to follow this  
Nick M.K.

How long were you trading before you really knew what you were doing?

The return of Benji (bless him!) reminded me of my younger years in the trade and my mechanic that I've known for almost 15 years reminded me how little I knew then (he was the one that in 2004 explained to me the difference between a brake pad, a brake shoe, a brake calliper and a brake disc). I don't think it was until 2013-2014 that I really knew what I was doing although I have some doubts even to this day :-)

I don’t really know and I probably won’t for a couple of years I expect. 

2 minutes ago, EPV said:

I don’t really know and I probably won’t for a couple of years I expect. 

I'd say its a good 2-3 years before it all comes together, however as the market place changes from traditional pitch sales to media based interest/shoppers.. that is where the next learning curve will be.. Likes of AT - ebay motors etc are all stuff loads of effort into the process.. I'd guess with that kind of investment, its not going away anytime soon.

As with any business, cant really stand still too long

Every Day is a School day. I learn all the time, wish i'd not done that last week, but I won't do it again etc... and I've been selling cars for 20 years. I can only say I think that customers will get pickier, margins will get tighter and times will a change, people will get left behind and people will prosper... IMO its all about customer service, doing the right thing and not getting angry and taking things personally. However I wish I knew then what I know now!!

I've been in the Motor Trade earning money from Cars since I was 14, so that's 42 years.

I was changing Clutches and Brakes, De Cokes, Valve Grinds, Head Rebuilds Ball Joints Rear Subframes etc by the age of 14.

I started meddling with an old rusty Car when I was around 12 and started a full apprenticeship when I was 16 which I completed.

Car Sales started when I bought my first bit of work for my Gearbox firm, in my late 20's ..............

A very tidy Mercedes E300 Turbo Diesel Wagon, guy didn't have the money to pay for a rebuild on the Auto Box, so I bought the car off him for £400, repaired the Tranny and sold the Car after smoking it for 6 months for £2495 :D

That was when my love affair with MB's started, my G/F Partner Mel, her initials are MB :lol:

And I've only just realised that significance just now, lol we been together 16 years now :rolleyes: 

I still learn something new at least once a week, usually more times. I love the way the technology has progressed and also how the Billys and their Scams, Tricks etc have progressed too :D

Cars is wot i knows :)

• Like 3

I'm still looking for that elusive "winning formula"........ Sadly like unicorns it doesn't exist. 

I don't think you'll ever win, the more you earn the more you want more, then if your like me you will realise there is more to life, so you only work to earn what you need, the rest of the time I do what I want to do ;)

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Dealer said:

I'm still looking for that elusive "winning formula"........ Sadly like unicorns it doesn't exist. 

Same here- a roller-coaster: you 'crack it' for a few years and think 'this is easy', then it's not.  Trick is to get out when the going is really good I suppose.  (if those days ever come again, and I personally have missed this opportunity a few times over the years in hindsight)

They call it an exit-strategy no?

As to knowing what I'm doing?  Yes, to a point, and you need a good five years at least to mess up etc to a point where you probably come across most pitfalls; but you never stop learning. I think this game is about taking risks, and as you get older, you become more risk-adverse.  Or I have anyway.  Once bitten and all that...

Edited by NOACROSS
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, Area 51 said:

I'd say its a good 2-3 years before it all comes together, however as the market place changes from traditional pitch sales to media based interest/shoppers.. that is where the next learning curve will be.. Likes of AT - ebay motors etc are all stuff loads of effort into the process.. I'd guess with that kind of investment, its not going away anytime soon.

As with any business, cant really stand still too long

20 years in and still learning but this is the statement that rings true the most for me.

From doing Autotrader listings on a Monday morning ready for a Friday magazine to a few clicks and your advert is changed in real time; worlds apart!

• Like 1

For me I'd say when I got to 3 years it started to click into place, but what I wish I had done more of in the beginning was no matter how stupid the question was just ask it, who cares if you sound like a plank, its the only way to learn, I've learnt something new today, we've painted a bonnet on an old 54 plate golf swapper we've got and it looks great would have cost at least £150 at the bodyshop, your never too old to learn 

• Like 1

35 years in job and still dont know it,, it changes constantly,,, when i started if someone said people will watch a computer screen to buy a car i would have laughed at them,,, if they said my car would turn its steering wheel and park by itself i would have laughed louder and if they said cash was not king but typing digits into a phone would get me paid i would have given up on job.... whats next????

• Like 2

everyday is a learning curve,the day you know everything is the day the nurse is giving you medication

1 hour ago, NOACROSS said:

Same here- a roller-coaster: you 'crack it' for a few years and think 'this is easy', then it's not.  Trick is to get out when the going is really good I suppose.  (if those days ever come again, and I personally have missed this opportunity a few times over the years in hindsight)

They call it an exit-strategy no?

As to knowing what I'm doing?  Yes, to a point, and you need a good five years at least to mess up etc to a point where you probably come across most pitfalls; but you never stop learning. I think this game is about taking risks, and as you get older, you become more risk-adverse.  Or I have anyway.  Once bitten and all that...

You edited the bit about taking things personally and this is something i am definitely guilty of. Find it hard to let things wash over me e.g comebacks after 2 months when i knew that the car went out perfect etc. 

For me it was 3 years until I felt comfertable, however im still learning every day!

Every day is a day at school, this is very true but especially for the car sales trade.

1 hour ago, Del Boy said:

For me it was 3 years until I felt comfertable, however im still learning every day!

That will be comfortable then :) not er ;) 

Every day is a learning day Del ;) 

4 hours ago, c_cars said:

20 years in and still learning but this is the statement that rings true the most for me.

From doing Autotrader listings on a Monday morning ready for a Friday magazine to a few clicks and your advert is changed in real time; worlds apart!

Remember back in the day driving to the local town centre at 530am to get autotrader, the newsagent opened early for workers at a powerstation nearby, papers (autotrader) were delivered around 5am... then look through for motors to ring about.. How a few clicks on the web from you iphone in bed has changed all of that.. :)

Still chuffed to end any day having learned something..

You never stop learning. With 30+ years of experience I just see cars as a commodity, its a numbers game. I can turn my back in the hall and not make as second thought on the car that I have been out bid on, it used to bug me... I'm confident enough to do the job my way or highway :) You learn to take hits pragmatically, but they do become less.

I could write a book on this post.

5 minutes ago, Arfur Dealy said:

Seen the video, writing the book... are you going to have some shirts printed.. :) so true, never stop learning - also some never fail to surprise (public mostly)

23 hours ago, Arfur Dealy said:

You never stop learning. With 30+ years of experience I just see cars as a commodity, its a numbers game. I can turn my back in the hall and not make as second thought on the car that I have been out bid on, it used to bug me... I'm confident enough to do the job my way or highway :) You learn to take hits pragmatically, but they do become less.

Yup ;) 

So after reading all these posts, am I forgiven for asking questions you too didn't know when you started? 

8 minutes ago, MrV said:

So after reading all these posts, am I forgiven for asking questions you too didn't know when you started? 

we didnt have the nanny internet to fall back on we had to learn in the field

so use the internet wisely and dont overuse it or i will turn the internet switch off:lol:

20 minutes ago, boring dave said:

we didnt have the nanny internet to fall back on we had to learn in the field

so use the internet wisely and dont overuse it or i will turn the internet switch off:lol:

But then how else would I manage every aspect of my pointless miserable existence? 

When I started four years ago i'd had my license three weeks, only ever driven a Ka and a learner Sandero and had to google how to open a fuel filler on an Ibiza. Safe to say for two years I hadn't a bloody clue but after that period I thought I was getting to grips with it. Then we expanded and I spent a year learning how to run a business after I realised I didn't have a clue about that new found world. The following year we took on staff and I started to understand employment law, pensions, obligations, H&S etc. Next year they'll be something else new to learn and so on and so on. 

You never stop learning in this game. And there's a lot more to it than just getting to grips with cars.