kyle

A question from the other side of the fence

I appreciate that this may not be the usual post you get on here but as a lot of you will be in the trade I suppose I am posting to see if I can pick your brains/ seek your opinions;

I previously had a Jag x350 3.0 petrol. 

I am considering buying a Lexus LS460.

Aside from the horrific fuel consumption what are the other reasons not to buy one?

If you think I shouldn't get one what would you buy to own in the region of £8k ? Has to be a saloon or estate of some sort 

Would you avoid diesels and autos? - I've had bad experiences with autos in the past personally. 

I guess something that will sell well in the future is good too

As with any car I'd want it to be reliable. 

Thanks for any ideas/thoughts

Edited by kyle

I’ve never heard or come across any issues with a petrol Lexus or an issue with an auto gearbox on anything Japanese. There’s always an exception to the rule I suppose, but the old adage of ‘miles, history, condition’ always serves well. 

A Lexus will be a much better bet than anything German!

I don’t buy anything german or diesel if I can at all help it.

Good luck and someone on here might even have one for sale. 

I have heard Parkers are good for reviews and suggestions for similar cars.

Reliability is something dealers can't promise. You're buying an old machine that has been used and worn.

You've got £8k, you're looking at cars that were £50-60k new. As cars get older/cheaper, maintainence can be skimped.

Good luck.

Sold a 115k Lexus LS460 2007 a while back, had no issues with it, loads to go wrong but on paper probably one of the most reliable cars to buy being jap/lexus.

Buy it and stash some money away for when it goes wrong I suppose, should be easy to find one that's been pampered and serviced regularly by some old boy?

• Like 1

Kyle, what sort of miles do you do?

If you do over 6-8K a year an LS460 will cost you a lot in petrol. If you only do 2-3K miles then get one - it's a lot of car for little money and not all your £ will be spent at the pumps. 

Hi Nick,

I do about 22 round trip to work so I'll be doing 5-6k/year just for work and then whatever else I spend my weekends doing. 

Until now I have always ran 2 cars, at present I have a TT mk1 225 (which I don't want to part with) and a rover 75 diesel manual gbox(no DPF). Thinking of moving the rover on and replacing it with something bigger. 

The TT would be best for the poor road conditions with the 4 x 4. Something else could then be rear wheel drive for the drier/warmer conditions. 

The rover has been used for towing a 1350kg caravan. - (the bane of everybody else's lives on the road lol)

What else would you suggest as an alternative to the lexus, better reliability being the primary decider!

Thanks

Edited by kyle

XC90? 

I don’t think you will need anyone to tell you this but for every model you see on AT with 200,000 miles on there are five that stopped working at 90,000 miles. 

Buy on condition and buy what you love. Don’t look at a car you’ve always wanted and then get something else. You’ll always regret that. 

Be patient and find the right example of the car you want. 

My personal choice if it has to be £8K would be a 2011-12 C220 CDI Estate Auto, even with a few miles on it. It does absolutely everything I would need it to do including selling at a profit after a year's ownership. 

I'll do one (pound) better than Grant, I'll sell you the exact same model, spec, miles (117K) and year of E250 CDI for a pound less AND mine is an estate. Not advertised yet so no link. 

16 hours ago, Nick M.K. said:

I'll do one (pound) better than Grant, I'll sell you the exact same model, spec, miles (117K) and year of E250 CDI for a pound less AND mine is an estate. Not advertised yet so no link. 

yes but is it 111k miles though :)

yours is under priced mate.

Picture the scene.....

Kyle sitting in the pub on a sunday with his mates

'Look at this forum I just found. Bet I can get these traders falling over themselves to offer me a car'

10 minutes ago, MattR said:

Picture the scene.....

Kyle sitting in the pub on a sunday with his mates

'Look at this forum I just found. Bet I can get these traders falling over themselves to offer me a car'

I was thinking just that. But then i thought so what if someone sells a car, thats why we exist?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, met said:

Look at this forum I just found. Bet I can get these traders falling over themselves to offer me a car

There is a place like this. It's called Autotrader. And for some cars it's turning into a race to the bottom :-)

My E250 is no longer available so Grant's car is a prime contender. 

My advice would be either C or E Class estate's , you will pay more for a sub 120k miler, Saloons don't get such high miles in the first few years as Estates seem to.

Lower Miles = (hopefully) won't spend as much on it when you first buy it. Don't rely on Main Stealer Service History, First service on one of our New Vehicles the wankers didn't change the Oil Filter ....................... There was "Fuck On" over that one I can tell you !!

4 Matic (4WD) Versions are out there ;)

I have 4 MB's on my own personal fleet, of various ages and mileages.

Every single one of them was bought cheap, even the "New" 2017 one, and I spent ££££ getting the used ones up to perfect repair when first purchased.

They now all drive faultlessly, will travel 2000 miles + round trips without any hassles at all, and all they get is regular serviced annually, including tyres and the odd replacement part when needed.

Any VAG and even BMW is a ticking time bomb, especially Diesels. You will get 300k + from a decent MB with proper maintenance and not fitting Chinesium Parts !! 

HTH

1 hour ago, Dave2302 said:

..............with proper maintenance and not fitting Chinesium Parts !!

You mean the mercs parked in Lidl? 

54 minutes ago, met said:

You mean the mercs parked in Lidl? 

Even the ones parked in Waitrose...

3 hours ago, Nick M.K. said:

Even the ones parked in Waitrose...

I dont think waitrose customers need to make displays of wealth in the car park. Those sorts of people use ocado! 

I saw a mercedes couple in my lidl using those fancy waitrose shopping bags to carry their shopping.

My wife takes our dog walk car 175,000 miles px A3 100 quider  to waitrose .

Hilarious reactions from the other Audi Merc Beemer types BUT you don't get any dinks in your paintwork  as NO one parks at the side of it :) 

Even seen one Jag driver Move his car when we parked up :) 

If only they knew :) 

• Like 1

There is one brand which totally dominates our local Waitrose car park (Gerrards Cross, Bucks): Land Rover

1 hour ago, Nick M.K. said:

There is one brand which totally dominates our local Waitrose car park (Gerrards Cross, Bucks): Land Rover

Mmmm depends. A 'series' landrover is classless/unpretentious. I assume you're referring to katy price type 'range sports'

Also, brownie points for any vehicle using EV charge points

Edited by met

No A series Land Rovers where we are. Roads are too nice and too flat :-) It's a sea of Evoques, Discos and "proper" Range Rovers