Marc

Buying from a cowboy

Give them £1800 for it, Kesh is king.

I used to buy private when starting off. Find the ones with bad pictures etc.

Go and have a look and buy it if you can.

Marc...Is this a 56 Zetec 33k one owner being sold by a Commercial Dealer in Wishaw who is a Ltd company !

59 minutes ago, justina3 said:

So many scare stories out there, no more to add to the top answers above, apart from buying from a private seller has very Little to do with cra shambles. 

We buy a lot of cars of the local Chinese community of students they do the same thing year on year come to the uk to study buy nice cars there never short of a few pennies that’s for sure as there always top specs, look after them well for two years then a week before there due to leave try and sell them ? Why they leave it a week I never know.

A lot of local dealers run a mile due to fabricated scare stories I go out of my way to buy them and touch wood have never had a wrong one yet and looking back at my deals with them there in the top 2% of most profitable deals made. 

Moral of the story whilst wales is full of sheep don’t be a sheep. 

Keep doing it, you've hit a rich vein there. These chinese students are well financed and the parents also buy their 'digs' as a long term investments i understand.

10 hours ago, Marc said:

Hi ,yes usually around 3k mark. I've got a trade account with Glasgow central car auctions and Wilson auctions in dalry -both kinda retail money for auto salvage! 

I buy ex nhs cars and try to source other cars from private sellers. I'm very small scale but I'm making a living 

With hardly any internet bidders and loads of stock, I'd of thought central would be ideal at that price point. What about Morris Leslie?

12 hours ago, Arfur Dealy said:

This forum isn’t about you

Hello Mr Pot...

1 hour ago, justina3 said:

So many scare stories out there, no more to add to the top answers above, apart from buying from a private seller has very Little to do with cra shambles. 

We buy a lot of cars of the local Chinese community of students they do the same thing year on year come to the uk to study buy nice cars there never short of a few pennies that’s for sure as there always top specs, look after them well for two years then a week before there due to leave try and sell them ? Why they leave it a week I never know.

A lot of local dealers run a mile due to fabricated scare stories I go out of my way to buy them and touch wood have never had a wrong one yet and looking back at my deals with them there in the top 2% of most profitable deals made. 

Moral of the story whilst wales is full of sheep don’t be a sheep. 

That’s wonderfull.Up here in Newcastle there is a group of dentists would you believe who have got into building large accommodation blocks with all the mod cons for the Chinese students.They fill them up at £200 to £250 per week per student then sell them on to pension funds and the like.

43 minutes ago, met said:

Keep doing it, you've hit a rich vein there. These chinese students are well financed and the parents also buy their 'digs' as a long term investments i understand.

I long intend to, yes some of them purchase the properties however a lot of them tend to rent down the Marina one block is almost full of overseas students there paying anything up to £900 a month.

The last minute dash is great fun, i wont tell you how much we paid for a 11 plate grade punto 41k in white lovely little thing it was, last year the guy was flying on the Friday and tried to advertise his car on the Thursday, we got suggested as someone who could help him, i was away for the weekend and the office staff could only draw out £500 a cash day on the business card, needless to say it was one cheap punto. 

5 minutes ago, trade vet said:

That’s wonderfull.Up here in Newcastle there is a group of dentists would you believe who have got into building large accommodation blocks with all the mod cons for the Chinese students.They fill them up at £200 to £250 per week per student then sell them on to pension funds and the like.

We fit a lot of tech kit for them also dash cams there big on, and i have to say there very polite young people to deal with never get a seconds trouble from them, does help that they can read the instructions better than us. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, justina3 said:

I long intend to, yes some of them purchase the properties however a lot of them tend to rent down the Marina one block is almost full of overseas students there paying anything up to £900 a month.

The last minute dash is great fun, i wont tell you how much we paid for a 11 plate grade punto 41k in white lovely little thing it was, last year the guy was flying on the Friday and tried to advertise his car on the Thursday, we got suggested as someone who could help him, i was away for the weekend and the office staff could only draw out £500 a cash day on the business card, needless to say it was one cheap punto. 

We fit a lot of tech kit for them also dash cams there big on, and i have to say there very polite young people to deal with never get a seconds trouble from them, does help that they can read the instructions better than us. 

Spot on! I live in east london, and i could write the book on multiculturalism and multi ethnicity but you never see gangs of chinese boys hanging around on street corners causing trouble or up to no good. 

35 minutes ago, iJCS1 said:

It's all common sense. Locally we have the street dealers who sell cars from a petrol stations & car washes. If you buy from them you deserve everything you get. Just Last week and family bought a Toyota previa from these guys. Broke down 3 miles down the road! The lady was crying we spent our money what do we do!. 

I bought many cars off of wanna be traders looking to earn a quick 150/200 & in return made a lot more profit than buying from auctions or even other PROFESSIONAL dealers. 

For example I've had numerous wasted trips on dealer auction!. Yet they are professional dealers. I've even been to collect a car when my driver came running in the office saying the dealer is trying to take of an eml light & when I went outside to see for my self that's exactly what they were trying to do. 

Take all the necessary steps when buy  a car. HPI it, check the MOT history, go look at the car? What more can you do!. 

As for Facebook I never bought anything from there but sold a few.. I notice most look battered or either cat c/d stuff which I don't deal in. 

Just get an invoice from them with name address & all should be fine & keep a copy of the advert if you incur any problems your covered!. 

what i meant is how are you covered with an invoice and copy of ad??

6 hours ago, trade vet said:

Marc...Is this a 56 Zetec 33k one owner being sold by a Commercial Dealer in Wishaw who is a Ltd company !

No it's a 59 plate fiesta, 50k miles (if not been tampered with) west end of Glasgow. 

6 hours ago, sparky said:

With hardly any internet bidders and loads of stock, I'd of thought central would be ideal at that price point. What about Morris Leslie?

Hello Mr Pot...

Unfortunately not.. Every man and his dog is up there ..the retired postman and his wife to the spotty teenager pushing the prices to ridiculous levels. Risk with v little reward. Suppose you can get an old banger or newish car for reasonable money but I'm after neither. 

I think I have spotted it now on Gumtree.Awfull Plastic hub caps,recently fully valeted and needs a new set of plates.Amateur trader/cowboy effort looks like a typical Glasgow or Shotts auction vehicle.Probably legit though,I think he will probably now  want money in quick......I would say bid him £1700 and good luck.....Now what about this NHS stuff you get offered ?

5 minutes ago, trade vet said:

I think I have spotted it now on Gumtree.Awfull Plastic hub caps,recently fully valeted and needs a new set of plates.Amateur trader/cowboy effort looks like a typical Glasgow or Shotts auction vehicle.Probably legit though,I think he will probably now  want money in quick......I would say bid him £1700 and good luck.....Now what about this NHS stuff you get offered ?

Haha yes that's the one. He's improved ad/pics from before! I bid him 2200 few weeks back. he said no chance,  messaged me other day saying yes.. Coarse he's now opened himself up so...!

Nhs cars are perfect in the fact I don't need to do anything to them but profit is low and dreaded vauxhall corsas.  

1 hour ago, Marc said:

Haha yes that's the one. He's improved ad/pics from before! I bid him 2200 few weeks back. he said no chance,  messaged me other day saying yes.. Coarse he's now opened himself up so...!

Nhs cars are perfect in the fact I don't need to do anything to them but profit is low and dreaded vauxhall corsas.  

Years back we bought ex NHS minis from Ingleston,they were always red.We used to sell them as ex district nurse vehicles,the punters liked that ( although we had no idea who used them of course).

11 hours ago, iJCS1 said:

What more can you do?

HPi it?

View it?

And get an invoice when purchased confining you've paid for the vehicle?.

Is there something I'm missing?. Am I doing it wrong?. Most my stock is privately sourced and I do the above!.no issues as of yet! 

Not really, it’s a game of Russian roulette, but the OP said the V5 wasn’t in guys name, if it’s meant to be a private sale then walk away if this is the case, usually instinct is the best judge... if in doubt leave it out..... years ago guy came into our showroom with a lovely merc needed quick sale blah blah blah, hpi clear, 2 keys, full history, excellent stock mint car but something didn’t ring right so I left it and kicked myself  until watching news week later n it said Mr King been found murdered in his house body been there a few week etc.... same name as Merc V5, I rang a mate who was plod and asked if Mr King had a Merc.... hour later I am surrounded by plod asking for suspected murderers description.... they caught the guy and my plod mate said the new “owner” of the Merc was in tears as they took it off him and left him with a big bank loan and no car..... 

I have dodged a few bullets in this job but that Is prob the luckiest escape.. 

If you are buying private and the log book isn’t in the correct / name address then walk away immediately - you don’t have a leg to stand on.

4 hours ago, whitestone679231 said:

Not really, it’s a game of Russian roulette, but the OP said the V5 wasn’t in guys name, if it’s meant to be a private sale then walk away if this is the case, usually instinct is the best judge... if in doubt leave it out..... years ago guy came into our showroom with a lovely merc needed quick sale blah blah blah, hpi clear, 2 keys, full history, excellent stock mint car but something didn’t ring right so I left it and kicked myself  until watching news week later n it said Mr King been found murdered in his house body been there a few week etc.... same name as Merc V5, I rang a mate who was plod and asked if Mr King had a Merc.... hour later I am surrounded by plod asking for suspected murderers description.... they caught the guy and my plod mate said the new “owner” of the Merc was in tears as they took it off him and left him with a big bank loan and no car..... 

I have dodged a few bullets in this job but that Is prob the luckiest escape.. 

Out of interest how did he want paying .

6 minutes ago, trade vet said:

Out of interest how did he want paying .

we didnt get that far i just felt uneasy about the guy so told him it wasnt for me.

Update.. His sales pitch was aldi car park!  waste of time

12 minutes ago, Marc said:

Update.. His sales pitch was aldi car park!  waste of time

So he would only let you view the car in Aldi car park ? 

On 06/09/2018 at 7:30 PM, EPV said:

Up to you mate but I would be steering well clear. The thought of buying a car off a plastic trader horrifies me. 

Wise words :)

30 minutes ago, trade vet said:

So he would only let you view the car in Aldi car park ? 

Yeah but that only became apparent on arrival. I told him on phone I run a legitimate business ,would like to see proof of who he was etc yes fine fine he says!,ooft. 

When I arrived he was standing outside the entrance of a block of flats ,car was in aldi car park he says.. That was enough for me. Not sure what his game is but not for me. 

42 minutes ago, Marc said:

Yeah but that only became apparent on arrival. I told him on phone I run a legitimate business ,would like to see proof of who he was etc yes fine fine he says!,ooft. 

When I arrived he was standing outside the entrance of a block of flats ,car was in aldi car park he says.. That was enough for me. Not sure what his game is but not for me. 

Don’t let it put you off buying from private sellers.If you have the time and patience you can get some good stock.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Marc said:

What’s the thought process behind this? I’m assuming it doesn’t have tax and he thinks by parking it in a supermarket car park he’ll get away with it? Wrong, that’s the first place Dvla look! 

The car is showing as taxed and insured. It's was a foreign fella. Definitely something a miss but probably with him rather than car .

24 minutes ago, trade vet said:

Don’t let it put you off buying from private sellers.If you have the time and patience you can get some good stock.

Absolutely. But you need to buy from privates. Not people who have bought a car from an auction, marked it up by £300 and struggled to sell it. Now we can see why he has struggled to sell it but for me the alarm bells were ringing on that one a long way from home. 

I like buying off privates as you can get good stock as you say. But one of my preliminary questions when I ring the seller is “is the v5 in your name?” and if the answer isn’t yes then it’s always “nah I bought the car a few months back and just didn’t transfer the name over to mine” or “nah it’s my aunties car innit” then the conversation is terminated. It doesn’t matter how cheap the car is, there will be something wrong with the car, the seller, or both. Plenty of cars out there to buy.