Del Boy

Ebay Auction

I am selling a few of my old part ex smokers on ebay. I know this has been discussed before, but how harsh are we being with these listings?

I am laughing to myself as I type the description as it is so brutal. But on the other hand I do want £500+ for the cars so dont want to put most people off using lines like... DO NOT WASTE MY F@KING TIME.

5 minutes ago, Del Boy said:

I am selling a few of my old part ex smokers on ebay. I know this has been discussed before, but how harsh are we being with these listings?

I am laughing to myself as I type the description as it is so brutal. But on the other hand I do want £500+ for the cars so dont want to put most people off using lines like... DO NOT WASTE MY F@KING TIME.

Post a link Del Boy

We all need a laugh

It's a hard balance isn't it? I don't want to put people off bidding an extra fifty for a car which for all intents and purpose is OKAY but I don't want to mislead or deal with cluelesses. 

I've taken to just explaining they'll sign an invoice signing their life away. To be trailered, not to be used on a public road until new MOT,  must be made safe by qualified repairer etc etc.

I have a 90k Micra with a concealed EML light (lean running), the guy who px'd it said he concealed it and it's been like that 4 years. I believe him and think it's fine... but try getting £400 for it and hoping you're on the right side of the law.

This Main Dealer do it well I think. Have done it this way for years.  On the few occasions I feel the need to do an auction, I have shamelessly plagiarised it.

Ebay item number:

21 minutes ago, NOACROSS said:

Ebay item number:

orange loight on dash would put me off

they obviously have something to hide innit:angry:

Look at their other items. They list loads this way. 

Yeah, they don’t do anything to them or care about EML being on. However they do point this out and photo damage. 

33 minutes ago, NOACROSS said:

This Main Dealer do it well I think. Have done it this way for years.  On the few occasions I feel the need to do an auction, I have shamelessly plagiarised it.

Ebay item number:

“Nothing in these terms and conditions are intended to restrict your consumer rights”

44 minutes ago, Del Boy said:

DO NOT WASTE MY F@KING TIME.

Pointless, the pond life cannot read.

Hmmmmm that 2008 Astra coupe is a bit of me? I wonder if I could find a wing in colour?

7 minutes ago, Arfur Dealy said:

“Nothing in these terms and conditions are intended to restrict your consumer rights”

mm missed that,very thin water in my opinion

to NOACROSS i was  being ironic,             sorry

Edited by boring dave

11 minutes ago, Arfur Dealy said:

Pointless, the pond life cannot read.

Love it. 

5 minutes ago, boring dave said:

mm missed that,very thin water in my opinion

to NOACROSS is being ironic,sorry

Thought as much. Anyway, I rarely do auctions but the OP asked, so I contributed as Pentons do OK with it as I say.

Don’t get me wrong, they get messed about and the odd no-show. 

We’ve had this conversation before and Sterling Cars came up. Now they DO basically say on their eBay auctions ‘buy the car or don’t and Go F Yourself eitherway.’ 

Think it’s Andymc? that knows them well...dunno how well it works for them. 

Edited by NOACROSS

Last one I put on ebay auction was an old Td4 auto cat c repaired Freelander for spares or repair, the title was 'The Worst 4x4xFar' and went on to slate it, it sold for £300 more than I thought it would, 56 plate and went for what you could pick a decent one up for.. No hastle from the buyer either. Having said that the couple of times I've used it previously I've been disappointed with the bids. 

utter waste of time, inevitably won by foreigners who never get in touch

all negs are from foreign sounding tools wanting the usual free lunch

• Like 1

Correct. 

When these cretins ask questions like ‘is it mint?’ I think to myself, if it was that good it wouldn’t be on an eBay auction would it 

Edited by Del Boy
  • Like 1

Agree on the above posts, it's one reason why I rarely use it, Johnny foreigner and their stream of best price? Swop for gold chain and dog messages, then they turn up and try the chip or try and pay on credit card or some other devious tact, either way they're generally unpleasant meetings, Facebook is also an option hit and miss on there, I put my smoker on there Saturday and sold to a nice Welsh bloke on Sunday, didn't even want a test drive just a view of the receipt for recent cambelt/water pump... The same car also attracted a guy called Mo and when I viewed his Facebook page it was full of quotes from the Koran and infidel rants so he got ignored.. 

2 hours ago, andymc1973 said:

utter waste of time, inevitably won by foreigners who never get in touch

all negs are from foreign sounding tools wanting the usual free lunch

+1.

Auctions usually aren’t worth a toss on eBay & there’s no point in slitting you’re own throat.

Brutal honesty is strictly for your banger/spares adverts.  

The new GDPR regulations & the DVLA ‘blanked’ log books are the friend of the dodgy trader trying to move on a few knackers as private sales. 

my last 3 were all won by Asian traders who wanted to collect at 11pm and wouldnt leave a deposit (they cant chip then) as per my auction rules, utter waste of time

if it aint worth nothing

and it owes you nothing

either crush it

or let someone have a tickle out of it you  tight gits

#weinsteinweloveyourealy##@cantremember

8 hours ago, andymc1973 said:

my last 3 were all won by Asian traders who wanted to collect at 11pm and wouldnt leave a deposit (they cant chip then) as per my auction rules, utter waste of time

You probably missed out some good no-nonsense deals there. I’m sure they were all Salt of the earth types, genuine men who intended to pay what they’d bid and not try any games when they handed over the money. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, andymc1973 said:

I had a punter here a few days back bought a focus. When we were doing the paperwork i said to him "there's loads of these on the market, what made you pick this one?" He said, "I knew I'd buy this, as soon as you answered the phone and i heard you weren't Asian!"

I don't think the guy was just being racist, I think he felt that Asian business men can be tough to deal with and will haggle to the point of killing a deal.

Edited by met

2 hours ago, met said:

I had a punter here a few days back bought a focus. When we were doing the paperwork i said to him "there's loads of these on the market, what made you pick this one?" He said, "I knew I'd buy this, as soon as you answered the phone and i heard you weren't Asian!"

I don't think the guy was just being racist, I think he felt that Asian business men can be tough to deal with and will haggle to the point of killing a deal.

I've just had the rarest of beasts;

BMW 318i Performance Edition (performance, a 2 litre petrol?) with a very Asian sounding name and most definitely very Asian on arrival.

He paid a reservation fee over the interwebs, 3 days prior to collection, he turned up on time, having seen the video didn't want to crawl all over the car and take it on a month long trek through the jungle mountains of Kent, he paid the rest, signed where I told him to and went off as happy as a sand boy. No chipping, no "last price" cobblers, no pointing out tiny stone chips, just paid and fucked off. 

That said I've had a text late last night, crying, over a car I sold a month ago (longer than a month though) saying it is no better than scrap, when in reality it's probably a sensor. So it seems I'm paying for my nice customers with worrying ones.

47 minutes ago, EPV said:

I've just had the rarest of beasts;

BMW 318i Performance Edition (performance, a 2 litre petrol?) with a very Asian sounding name and most definitely very Asian on arrival.

He paid a reservation fee over the interwebs, 3 days prior to collection, he turned up on time, having seen the video didn't want to crawl all over the car and take it on a month long trek through the jungle mountains of Kent, he paid the rest, signed where I told him to and went off as happy as a sand boy. No chipping, no "last price" cobblers, no pointing out tiny stone chips, just paid and fucked off. 

That said I've had a text late last night, crying, over a car I sold a month ago (longer than a month though) saying it is no better than scrap, when in reality it's probably a sensor. So it seems I'm paying for my nice customers with worrying ones.

Its nice when people break the mould every now and then!

Whats this punter moaning about? An engine light come on? BMW im guessing lol

18 minutes ago, Del Boy said:

Its nice when people break the mould every now and then!

Whats this punter moaning about? An engine light come on? BMW im guessing lol

Low pressure oil light and flashing EML (no idea why it’s flashing)

As well I know, that low oil pressure light could mean several things. I was sensible enough to whack a third party warranty on that one.