Sign in to follow this  
Dave2302

Ford Focus 55 Plate Problem

Hi Guys,

55 Focus Zetec,

Towed in as a non starter, battery flat, guy has been trying to fix it and given up.

Charged Battery, it started straight up, plugged in several Diag Machines, no Comm with PCM or anything else, then it goes into limp mode, Ignition, Oil, Handbrake and Engine MIL lights come on at times then go off again, Engine light stays on !!

All wipers lights horn heater A/C etc working, Stereo not working

I did get it to read once on Snap On in OBD II mode, got High Speed Can error in PCM, no other Codes in PCM, now refusing to communicate again :(

Is this the Infamous FUBAR Instrument Cluster fault ??

TIA Dave

Oh, it has started every time for me, but guy claims it failed to start and hadn't run since, until I got it, he said he thought it may be Immo, but i don't know if immo light was on or not, he is away at the moment without contact 

It could be almost anything ;)

I do know that there is a known fault / repair for Instrument cluster, and I do know that the CAN Comms go through Instrument Cluster, Cluster is also part of Immobilizer.

I left it running a while, upon return the lights had come on again on Dash, and also "Reduced Acceleration" Message, plus rev counter on zero but engine still running in limp mode.

I have never had a Focus with this fault, I try to stay away from old Fix Or Repair Daily's these days and have never experienced this particular problem.

TBH, I'm already at an hours time on it, another couple of hours will write the tatty old shitter off :lol:

Cluster repair will be around £250, plus labour, and it almost certainly has other issues, me thinks it's a scrapper !!

Changing the subject slightly, I do have another similar vintage Focus coming in later this week with no compression on 1 of it's cylinders, if the engines are the same I might offer the guy  a nifty for it and just swap 'em, only trouble is I'll have another scrapper that I can't get rid of then :(

Instrument cluster at fault, it’s extremely common. Seemingly the soldered joints inside need reflowing, it looks easy if you have a magnifying glass and a posh soldering iron ;)

We use a local guy that charges £60 to sort it out. 

• Like 1

I thought so, thanks for confirming.

I'll have a look myself, I have Illuminated Lab Magnifier and posh Snap On Gas Soldering Iron, bought that a few weeks back, yet to use it !!

If it's beyond my skills and eyesight do you have a contact info for your guy ?

I could see if he'll do a postal service on it ;)  

I'm gonna go have a look for an eastern block "How to Vid" on U Tube ;)

See what sorta jobbie it is before stripping it and fucking it :lol:

Here we go :-  

I'll watch it all the way through, looks like i can do this myself and the symptoms described are exactly like this Car I have :D

We use:-

Ecus To Go Ltd

Test Department
3 Yarmouth Drive
Redcar
TS10 4GH

Tel: 01642 758 825

Mobile: 07811 163 123

Edited by Stalker

If it’s the cluster at fault then the bits that need soldering are easy to see & anyone half-competent can do it.

Tbh if it’s not that it’s not worth fucking about with much (unless the punter wishes too) - it’s a 13yr old Focus worth pennies.

I watched all the video and learnt that the plug connection to the board is disgraceful but easy to sort with a steady hand and a half decent smouldering iron and more importantly some proper solder with real lead in it.                                          

Then I learnt how to clock a car

1 hour ago, boring dave said:

Then I learnt how to clock a car

Damn! A rogue must have got in our 'secret room'!:lol:

Ahhhhh, the good old days - that’ll give the private punters reading this forum something to choke on.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, David Ayers said:

I thought it was Found On Roadside Dead

the old one used to be

old fords never die they just get rustier

3 hours ago, David Ayers said:

I thought it was Found On Roadside Dead

B_M_W:ph34r:

• Like 1

LOL ;)

OK, so I towed her car in on Friday eve, 1 hour, I diagnosed it half hour, I researched it all, half hour, so I'm now at 2 hours.

I offered to fix it here myself and charge her £200 all in, could have had the car back all done last night ;)

Her fella tells her get it fixed by me, (he's a good customer of mine) !!

After multiple phone calls asking dumb questions .....................

"Ill scrap it says she, I've been offered an 04 plate Diesel VW for 300 quid"  :rolleyes:

So she pays me my 2 hours, and drives away in limp mode, after I had to thump the dash to get it started .................

For another £80 she could have had the devil she knows fixed !!

And then when the knackered old VW shits its pants next week ...................... = ££££££££££££ :D:D:D

Billys :lol::lol::lol:

5 minutes ago, Dave2302 said:

LOL ;)

OK, so I towed her car in on Friday eve, 1 hour, I diagnosed it half hour, I researched it all, half hour, so I'm now at 2 hours.

I offered to fix it here myself and charge her £200 all in, could have had the car back all done last night ;)

Her fella tells her get it fixed by me, (he's a good customer of mine) !!

After multiple phone calls asking dumb questions .....................

"Ill scrap it says she, I've been offered an 04 plate Diesel VW for 300 quid"  :rolleyes:

So she pays me my 2 hours, and drives away in limp mode, after I had to thump the dash to get it started .................

For another £80 she could have had the devil she knows fixed !!

And then when the knackered old VW shits its pants next week ...................... = ££££££££££££ :D:D:D

Billys :lol::lol::lol:

Whats the car like otherwise, could be worth a punt?

Scabby Shed with clonking front end, I looked no further, but the Engines sweet !!

I offered her her £120 back before she left, as I have another Focus coming in later in week with a "3 Cylinder" dead engine, but she wants to think about that !!

FFS

@Del Boy Yeah probably right, but even her b/f new it made far more sense to fix the fuckarse

God help the poor soul who’s flogged her next shed, she’ll be expecting the moon on a stick for £300 

A £300 motor - that’ll be some car :lol:

1 hour ago, Dave2302 said:

Scabby Shed with clonking front end, I looked no further, but the Engines sweet !!

I offered her her £120 back before she left, as I have another Focus coming in later in week with a "3 Cylinder" dead engine, but she wants to think about that !!

FFS

@Del Boy Yeah probably right, but even her b/f new it made far more sense to fix the fuckarse

your too soft

you should have filled your invoice in properly

tow in

scan

disassemble

1/2 hour on phone to ford having explained how to repair

battery charging at 43 pence per unit

nice bill of £460

or leave the car there and we call it quits

you will never make a field marshal:huh:

33 minutes ago, boring dave said:

your too soft

you should have filled your invoice in properly

tow in

scan

disassemble

1/2 hour on phone to ford having explained how to repair

battery charging at 43 pence per unit

nice bill of £460

or leave the car there and we call it quits

you will never make a field marshal:huh:

LOL, yeah, but she has been ripped off by others, and b/f spends a fortune with me on his old E46 BuM Wipe, and I'm certain she will be back with the VW (Moon on stick) ....................... love that btw ;)