Sign in to follow this  
tradegirl

Painting headlamp washer with spray?

Got a 2012 BMW Coupe in that I was hoping to get online today, even though it needs an MOT yet. Even if I can advertise it in a "prep underway, taking enquiries" capacity.

It's missing the one headlamp washer cover (got it from BMW but no option to have it painted today) Body shops are closed now. Is it worth me painting it with the BMW Jet Black spray? Or will it look like I painted it with a spray can?

Been one of those days where if I hadn't been delayed I could have gotten the car sorted and online today. I know a weekend isn't the end of the world, but still.

Edit: my question is, do spray paints do a good job? I've never sprayed a car part with them, however small.

Edited by tradegirl

That depends on whether the jet black is the right jet black. 

If so, go for it. Do a few coats, dust it lightly on the first coat and do maybe 4. Should look fine. 

It won’t look bad at all for such a small area. But make sure the paint is a match. 

• Like 1

Hi,

I would expect that to be a base and clear, even solid colours (non metallics) are base coat and clear nowadays.

I have had good results using good quality aerosols on small parts such as yours, I've even done whole bumpers with a "bodyshop type" colour matched aerosol Base Coat, and then Clear Lacquered with large Aerosol Lacquers ;)

It's all in the preparation though, if you don't rub it down dead flat, use the right plastic primer, etc etc then the finish will be poor.

As said, dust the first coat or 2 and leave it in warm environment for an hour or more to seal it up, then 2 heavier base coats, and lacquer tomorrow ;)

Fit it but don't polish it for a few days ;)

HTH 

• Like 1

Remember, punters don’t know you’ve painted it so won’t be staring at it like you looking for imperfections & colour matches. Tbh as long as it’s some shade of black 95% of punters won’t notice.

• Like 2

Just do it, you'll only learn if you can do it or not by practice.

Worst case, it'll look naff so you'll need to get it painted proffesionally - but you were planning to get it painted anyway, so not much to lose.

Even if it looks a little naff, it'll probably not notice in your photos so you can get it online and get it painted later.

We had a E90 a few weeks ago, bought a new front tow eye cover and painted it with the brush in a touch-up pen. Was passable, and the customer didn't notice!

We use Adobe Photoshop to edit photos. If there is something missing we edit the bit out to get the car on the internet. Gains us a few days every time.

Edited by MOTORS

ive learnt offer nothing unless its good to go

heart attacks under pressure are common in this job due to pressure not needed

ive lost 3 mates to the pressures who i used to share jollities at the block with

12 hours ago, Dave2302 said:

Hi,

I would expect that to be a base and clear, even solid colours (non metallics) are base coat and clear nowadays.

I have had good results using good quality aerosols on small parts such as yours, I've even done whole bumpers with a "bodyshop type" colour matched aerosol Base Coat, and then Clear Lacquered with large Aerosol Lacquers ;)

It's all in the preparation though, if you don't rub it down dead flat, use the right plastic primer, etc etc then the finish will be poor.

As said, dust the first coat or 2 and leave it in warm environment for an hour or more to seal it up, then 2 heavier base coats, and lacquer tomorrow ;)

Fit it but don't polish it for a few days ;)

HTH 

This 

13 hours ago, MOTORS said:

We use Adobe Photoshop to edit photos. ..................

The potential must be unlimited!:D

16 minutes ago, met said:

The potential must be unlimited!:D

It's great for what I call "digital hoovering". When you've valeted a car and taken your photos then you look at a photo and see a mark on the trim you've missed you can just remove it without having to go back outside (when it's probably raining by now) to take another photo.  We never use the editing software to misrepresent the cars condition, just to make life easier for ourselves.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, boring dave said:

ive learnt offer nothing unless its good to go

heart attacks under pressure are common in this job due to pressure not needed

ive lost 3 mates to the pressures who i used to share jollities at the block with

Really Dave? Sorry to hear that. I think being self-employed sometimes you're able to rest up or get lazy, but most of the time the pace of this job is insane.

I moan how busy I can be, trying to be in 3 places at once most of the time, then I moan when it is quiet/little to do - I'm just a moaner I guess.

I would love the pace to even out, so every day is busy rather than caotic, hectic or slow.

34 minutes ago, Mark101 said:

I moan how busy I can be, trying to be in 3 places at once most of the time, then I moan when it is quiet/little to do - I'm just a moaner I guess.

I would love the pace to even out, so every day is busy rather than caotic, hectic or slow.

I know what you mean Mark, I'm much the same. When it's all go and no life outside of work it gets draining. Or when it's dead and you can't do anything about it, it's even worse. I can hack the long hours as long as things are moving financially. When money is down, and stock is sticking, then hectic or quiet is irrelevant.

Your local paint shop supplier will mix the right colour and put it in a rattle can for you.

i find the colour and price to be better than Halfords. 

12 minutes ago, Stalker said:

Your local paint shop supplier will mix the right colour and put it in a rattle can for you.

i find the colour and price to be better than Halfords. 

But Halfords are open 7 days a week until late - otherwise I completely agree with you.

If the colour is Jet Black and that is what Halfords say it is, then for spraying small parts, even wing mirrors, it's a fine match. Whether their match is absolutely cock on is irrelevant to me, as I would never be spraying anything other than small bits that can fall off/need replacing.

7 hours ago, Mark101 said:

But Halfords are open 7 days a week until late - otherwise I completely agree with you.

Seemingly Eurocarparts now supply Halfords with their mixed to order rattle cans from their LKQ division. 

Just now, Stalker said:

Seemingly Eurocarparts now supply Halfords with their mixed to order rattle cans from their LKQ division. 

Doesn't affect me Stalker - I have my own Lechler paint scheme and mix my own :)

35 minutes ago, Mark101 said:

Doesn't affect me Stalker - I have my own Lechler paint scheme and mix my own :)

Or you would do if you weren’t so fucking lazy ;)

so long as the black you use is blacker than the black on the car 95% of customers wont see it

57 minutes ago, EPV said:

Or you would do if you weren’t so fucking lazy ;)

:lol:

I had a dream last night that I put it on the car and it was a shiny silver, and the car was matt.