LukeRob

Trading standards

Has anyone have any experience with trading standards? On the yard im on i got told that trading standards where asking for me but not had any issues with customers? Do they send a letter out or do they start digging for information about current stock you have or???

kind

Regards

luke

Luke, if you are straight, I would suggest you ring them enquiring why, this shows you are a responsible business. If not.... hide all of your paperwork and run to the hills with your maidens..... when they get you...say nothing

Hope this helps....

Seriously now, its best to confront any issue.... not knowing eats away at you.  

• Like 1

We have had a few visits over the years, all very positive guess it’s down to the inspectors but the two we have are good as gold.

normally go through our paperwork first make sure we are not misadvertising our stock, then the stock itself.

had a few advisories as long as you do them before they come back all is good.

13 minutes ago, Arfur Dealy said:

Luke, if you are straight, I would suggest you ring them enquiring why, this shows you are a responsible business. If not.... hide all of your paperwork and run to the hills with your maidens..... when they get you...say nothing

Hope this helps....

Seriously now, its best to confront any issue.... not knowing eats away at you.  

Nice one AD......Send Trading Standards a polite email and invite them,you could suggest meeting them on any Friday at 4pm.They would have to reply.If they turn up in the meantime just refer them to your email and say nothing.....You can imagine I have always got on well with these guys !

quick tip= any car you've actually got a "for sale" in, make sure its ready to go, not will take for mot once i got a deposit, or that bald tyre will be done when you collect it , any car offered for sale it is assumed that it is ready to go.

remove any for sale notices on vehicles not ready, also if youve got any trade sale only cars, remove all advertising too, its easier :)

• Like 1

If it was anything much they’d of been on the phone to you.

I’ve had 2 dealings with them over the years & tbh they were absolutely fine. You’ve only got something to fear if you’re clocking cars or are a c*** selling death traps.

We had this Trading Standards guy who used to come in on spec and was very polite but he was always looking to ‘do you’ on some minor issue.This went on for many years,the last time I recall he arrived at midday on Christmas Eve and made a big thing about the size of our typical APR example on our advertising,I think it was 2cms too small.I think he must have retired now.

If you're doing everything tight, nothing to fear..... But we all slip up from time to time. Dont hide anything from them, they normally ask to look at a few of your cars so make sure everything is MOT'd, no bulbs out or bald tyres or EML, and make sure advertised mileages are exact - trading standards love coming on to your pitch and seeing a car advertised with 60000 miles when its done 60592, they do regard that as worth a slap on the wrist. and dont say full service history unless its done every year - most of them dont understand variable servicing like the Germans do in my limited experience of a TS visit.

10 hours ago, trade vet said:

We had this Trading Standards guy who used to come in on spec and was very polite but he was always looking to ‘do you’ on some minor issue.This went on for many years,the last time I recall he arrived at midday on Christmas Eve and made a big thing about the size of our typical APR example on our advertising,I think it was 2cms too small.I think he must have retired now.

i shot him :P

45 minutes ago, met said:

Has anyone actually sold a car to a TS guy?

I sold a car once to visa mot inspector who checks mot testers was a lovely guy. 

• Like 1

Ring them, they might be touting for businesses to sign up to their 'buy with confidence' scheme... worth being a member imo, gives your customers confidence in your trading practices but also it gives you a trading standards contact, that is there for you! believe it or not, ours is always happy to offer advice and step in and talk sense into a customer, although this has been on very rare occasions, he is on our side of the fence... worth every penny.

I think most Trading Standards inspectors are reasonable people.We just had one who over many years would pick fault on minor stuff.However,they did wrongly prosecute us for a cheapie we sold at ADT ( BCA) which was bought by a private punter ( who was actually a Trader).Our solicitor managed to keep the case going all day at the Magistrates until it was thrown out.It must have cost the council a few quid,so maybe that is why this guy would bother us.

When I was a kid working at a petrol station there was this Trading Standards Officer who was a top .’jobs worth’.He would take ages checking the air pressure in the ‘free air line’,he was a bit like McKay in Porridge.

On 20/08/2018 at 1:35 PM, trade vet said:

When I was a kid working at a petrol station 

Was that you TV :lol:

article-1026522-0198A5FE00000578-234_468x340.jpg

3 hours ago, Mark101 said:

Was that you TV :lol:

article-1026522-0198A5FE00000578-234_468x340.jpg

Not quite.Funnily enough a few years ago I was sent a photo taken from the ‘All our yesterday’s column’ of a local rag.It was me serving Cleveland petrol at about 3s 6p per gallon in ‘67.I often did an hour on the pumps then.I was 17 and had been selling cars for 2 years.I will try and find it.

2 hours ago, trade vet said:

Not quite.Funnily enough a few years ago I was sent a photo taken from the ‘All our yesterday’s column’ of a local rag.It was me serving Cleveland petrol at about 3s 6p per gallon in ‘67.I often did an hour on the pumps then.I was 17 and had been selling cars for 2 years.I will try and find it.

i remember it well , you forgot to give me my green shield stamps :unsure:

23 minutes ago, have a word with the wife said:

i remember it well , you forgot to give me my green shield stamps :unsure:

i still miss the ding -ding as you drove over the line and he came out with his oily rag .ready to check your oil .pump your tyres and give personal service 

oh and the petrol was 71 pence a gallon the time i go back to:)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, boring dave said:

i still miss the ding -ding as you drove over the line and he came out with his oily rag .ready to check your oil .pump your tyres and give personal service 

oh and the petrol was 71 pence a gallon the time i go back to:)

Those were indeed the days...