Sign in to follow this  
Arfur Dealy

Autotrader & Manheim Joint Venture...Your thoughts

Have I missed something, do we not already have a DA? 

They thought long and hard about that name clearly... 

Interesting; qoute..

"However, we know that we will have an even better chance of disrupting the market by partnering with an established player which knows this particular industry intimately. "

Blimin eck.. should shake a few feathers at BCA, even more competition for our business ! Is that a good or bad thing ? or is it more of these types trying to make a cut up stream of what we get to see.. ie total carve up

Edited by Area 51

I don’t really I understand, as I got bored reading it. Typical long winded clear-as-mud corporate babble. 

Cox own Motors, so why on earth bring AT in on it? What do they bring to the party? How to squeeze every last bit of blood out of your customers?

I guess it’s just the current DA platform with a load more cars added, and will no-doubt increase massively in price if Autoraper have anything to do with it. 

I wonder if we will need a Manheim subscription as well as a DA one.

At a "Discovery Day" earlier in the year at AT they showed the group a BETA version of a website to "compete" with Dealer Auction. Seems like they have had a spectacular change of heart and now want to JV with the competition. More cars badly described by more dealers, or possibly the ability for us independent car dealers to list cars like the old Autotrademail on the new site (but I doubt it)?  Time will tell how much more sh1t will come our way.

58 minutes ago, NOACROSS said:

Cox own Motors, so why on earth bring AT in on it?

Maybe the figures are suggesting what we've been saying for ages....it's s**t and a waste of time and investment

This Dealer Auction merger stuff could just be a smokescreen. Cox/Manheim own Autotrader in the US.Autotrader UK  are hugely profitable and a household name.Autotrader shares have been rising steadily since May.This could be the forunner to a takeover bid if this merger is allowed.Manheim have been outplayed by BCA and could be rebranded i.e.Auto Trader Auction Group and do extra sales for private punters.They could also do stuff like Auto Trader Buy Your Car etc .BCA bought nearly 300,000 cars through WBAC in the last year making big profits.BCA will be following this with interest,they could also bid for Auto Trader.........Course I might be talking crap,maybe the Cox Head of External Relations can advise us of the ‘ synergies’ in this merger.

• Like 2

Next thing we know Autotrader will be offering to under-write our part exchanges via their Part Exchange "offering". 

3 hours ago, Linctrader said:

Have I missed something, do we not already have a DA? 

They thought long and hard about that name clearly... 

Ignore me ffs, I don't use DA otherwise I would have half a clue... 

My take on it is there’ll be more cars on the DA platform. One thing you can guarantee is that it’ll be out margins squeezed again.

11 hours ago, trade vet said:

maybe the Cox Head of External Relations can advise us of the ‘ synergies’ in this merger.

I do hope so.

11 hours ago, MOTORS said:

Next thing we know Autotrader will be offering to under-write our part exchanges via their Part Exchange "offering". 

Hope so cos some of those prices are a lot more than we can give :lol:

• Like 1

Sounds like an opportunity for the magazine to do some investigative journalism? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BHM said:

My take on it is there’ll be more cars on the DA platform.

Hopefully the quality of descriptions might be brought up to a decent standard too?

I think we can be sure if Autotrader are involved their primary concern will be increasing profit for their shareholders, most likely at the expense of dealer margins.

2 hours ago, Huw@Tipstrade said:

I think we can be sure if Autotrader are involved their primary concern will be increasing profit for their shareholders, most likely at the expense of dealer margins.

I'd agree.. however it may really open up the market to others to provide a better route to market for disposal of vehicles, there are so many of them to get rid of.. so I'd guess it will be upto us to shop about instead of "relying" on any one auction avenue.. It does seem a lot are getting into the middle man position to skim the profit traditionally earned by the

independant dealers.... evidence of this maybe the supply drying up at traditional auction houses/stooopid prices achieved..  Only so far these larger business can go to shaft the traditional traders.. maybe the offering will be good for independants.. 

I know, but its Friday and I'm trying to be positive.. POET's day, yard arm and sun etc..

4 hours ago, c_cars said:

Hopefully the quality of descriptions might be brought up to a decent standard too?

Don’t make me laugh, that won’t enter into their heads. If I’m honest I’d rather contend with dealership appraisals than those offered by Manheim inspectors.

5 hours ago, Andy Entwistle said:

I'll have a chat to Martin and see if he wants to give us some insight....

The money saving expert? :lol: