Sign in to follow this  
Nick M.K.

Today's rant: Saturday "Buyers"

One of the aspects of my job that I really dislike is a certain type of "buyer". I'm not one for profiling people but this category seem to have all gone to the same school. 

For me they usually come out on Saturdays. Today it happened again: 

"Can we come and look at your 2011 Audi 2.0 TFSI Quattro Auto in an hour?" 

I asked the lady that called a lot of questions about being serious about buying it, have they read the advert in full, have they watched the video, are they sure OUR car is THE car for them, do they need finance, do they have part ex ("Yes, it's gorgeous!!!"), how much are they looking for the p/x (£3K) etc etc etc. They called at 11, I gave them an appointment for 2:00-2:45pm, then spent an hour cleaning the TT again, a bit of polish, getting it as presentable as possible. They were bang on time at 2pm, had travelled over an hour from Kent. Their p/x looked OK but had an EML and Glow plug light on. (Polo 1.6 TDI, 70K, fault code for DPF pressure sensor). Clutch was heavy, flywheel vibrations. 

They had a good look at the Audi, LOVED IT. 

"Does it tick all the boxes, Do you want to buy it?". Yes, it looks great can we go for a drive? Of course we can (me on the back seat of the TT, snug fit to say the least). 

Sat at my desk after after a while, they both mused at the full Audi history and all the other paperwork (with which I am OCD). 

CAP Clean for their 2010 Polo TDI (70K) was just over £3K, with incomplete history and EML with the DPF code I offered £2500 which I knew was more than most offers they would get and fully expected that to be followed by a handshake and a hug! 

Instead I got a "Cash" offer of £8K plus the Polo for my £11500 Audi. We love your AUDI but our budget is £8K. "Why didn't you say so several hours ago on the phone so I can save us both hours of our time?"  We had to see it, it's so nice but we only have £8K. I offered a bit more for the part ex but we were still too far apart so off they went to look at the next TT on their list: a 2010 TT TDI with a few more miles and Manual! 

The husband had a very guilty look on his face when they left, the wife couldn't care less, I was as nice as a car dealer can be after 2 hours of their working Saturday were almost completely wasted. 

I know, we get paid to have our time wasted. But still hate it! Rant over...

• Like 1

Nik, I’m not teaching you to suck eggs... but, why didn’t you value their car prior to appointment? It saves your and their time. 

1 minute ago, Arfur Dealy said:

why didn’t you value their car prior to appointment?

I did. Approximately. They said they wanted £3K for it which at a push I would've given for a clean nice example with no warning lights. They didn't say anything about incomplete history, worn clutch / flywheel or EML. 

Ultimately they wanted a deal for their car at £3K AND £500 off for mine (they said on the phone happy with the price!) I don't do OFF of part ex deals and I certainly wouldn't pay them £400 over Cap Clean with the faults on their p/x. 

I welcome part exchanges, I really do. At the right price though.  

Different end of the market but I’m reluctant to value cars unseen as they often differ to their owners description. Punters struggle to understand that a blind estimate is not a cast-in-stone offer. Also once they’re here if there keen they can usually be kicked over their p/x.

• Like 1

Just now, BHM said:

Different end of the market but I’m reluctant to value cars unseen as they often differ to their owners description. Punters struggle to understand that a blind estimate is not a cast-in-stone offer. Also once they’re here if there keen they can usually be kicked over their p/x.

Abso******lutely! 

At any end of the market.  

These are the type of punters who on there way home and driving past some main dealer,call in and very quickly buy something completely different and give their swapper away.......Your TT may be very nice,but with that type of stock I always found that they rarely attract ‘quick surrender’ punters whatever the price.

3 minutes ago, trade vet said:

‘quick surrender’ punters

I don't want them to "surrender" :-) I want them to "attack" and get there first when they see an unrepeatable opportunity to achieve a complete victory in their "epic" car search. The problem is some people will not recognise an opportunity even if it hit them on the head...

Get ready for the phoning ringing Nick, they'll be back.

Oh mate I feel you. I don't do the whole questionnaire, I guess beggars can't be choosers in my case. But I hate it when it's a complete and utter waste of my time. I don't understand how these people can be so inconsiderate of others' time. I hope you have a good Sunday anyway!

Edited by tradegirl

I value px’s over the phone, ask them a series of questions including things such as does it have any mechanical issues, is the clutch ok/not slipping/grinding/smelling like an industrial fire and then I offer £250 under what I would give them if they were telling the truth. If it loses me the occasional sale because they want unrealistic money for their gold plated turd then so be it. 

I also ask people where they are in their car buying journey, have they looked at many etc and if they need finance. I also state on my videos that the price is fixed. 

This may not endear me to all but it certainly sorts the wheat from the chaff and seems to prevent the basket cases some of you seem to end up with. 

To be fair Nick you did as much as you could. They slipped through your spastic catching net. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MainDealerBiatch said:

Currenty working  at maindealer ... i could share some tales 

What? Misdescribing trade-ins on Dealer Auction :lol:

Sorry, I couldn’t resist.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, BHM said:

What? Misdescribing trade-ins on Dealer Auction :lol:

Sorry, I couldn’t resist.

1 hour ago, MainDealerBiatch said:

Currenty working  at maindealer ... i could share some tales 

Go ahead....first topic.......bungs.

Instead I got a "Cash" offer of £8K plus the Polo for my £11500 Audi. We love your AUDI but our budget is £8K. "Why didn't you say so several hours ago on the phone so I can save us both hours of our time?"

That is always very frustrating, I’m sure they don’t go into their local supermarket and ask for money off, 

Edited by Jay@DNA

Wasnt there anything else on your pitch you could flog them at 8k?

7 hours ago, met said:

Wasnt there anything else on your pitch you could flog them at 8k?

You’ve missed the point, these punters won’t of wanted an £8000 car - they want a more expensive car for £8000.

you didnt qualify them properly and wasted your own time.

there was no point doing a test drive etc etc if its way outside their budget. weve all done it but you should really of qualified them properly first.

12 minutes ago, Grantlfc81 said:

there was no point doing a test drive etc etc if its way outside their budget. weve all done it but you should really of qualified them properly first.

I see your point but I’m going to stick up for Nick. Stopping short of demanding to see hard cash or a bank account statement you can qualify them all you want but it’s not until you come to the part that sorts the wheat from the chaff, the men from the boys, the walkers from the talkers, i.e. THE MONEY, that you get the truth, rather than the punters version of the truth.

Anyone in this game who says they’ve never been lead up the garden path by a punter is a liar.

6 minutes ago, BHM said:

I see your point but I’m going to stick up for Nick. Stopping short of demanding to see hard cash or a bank account statement you can qualify them all you want but it’s not until you come to the part that sorts the wheat from the chaff, the men from the boys, the walkers from the talkers, i.e. THE MONEY, that you get the truth, rather than the punters version of the truth.

Anyone in this game who says they’ve never been lead up the garden path by a punter is a liar.

What he said

+1

27 minutes ago, Grantlfc81 said:

This is the point of my rant exactly. I did ALL of the qualifying as per my post (certainly more than most would do) and it still wasn't enough to save my two hours... The question here is not if I am an expert at what I do. It is Why the **** a certain category of people think it's OK to do what they do?

"I asked the lady that called a lot of questions about being serious about buying it, have they read the advert in full, have they watched the video, are they sure OUR car is THE car for them, do they need finance, do they have part ex ("Yes, it's gorgeous!!!"), how much are they looking for the p/x (£3K) etc etc etc"

"Does it tick all the boxes, Do you want to buy it?"

57 minutes ago, mrs maybe said:

What he said

+1

+2

What you and he said

1 hour ago, Grantlfc81 said:

This is right. 100%. Let’s not fluff about, if you allow them to waste your time, they will. Pre-qualify every appointment. You need commitment, unless of course you don’t mind wasting hours of your life on their fantasy. 

Get a deposit upfront. 

Must admit we have started to look at valuing part exchanges pretty much straight away before a test drive if we think we will be miles away on figures.

Had a lady with a DS3 yesterday knew she wanted brewsters for it.

we offered £2800 she expected £3500 wasn't any movement from any side so we both moved on

• Like 1

Do any of you allow test drives without a deposit or without the customer's verbal confirmation that they'll have the car?

Have you ever lost customers because of that? Like...I've never done that and wonder if the customer asked for a test drive and I said "Are you willing to buy the car if it drives ok?" it might be a bit offensive to some and put them off buying the car.

And then there's the "I have another one to look at brigade" who never come back anyway, but if they answer "well I have another to look at and want to test drive this one first", what's the answer to that?

Sick of time wasters myself, and despite being a bit desperate at times, I'm thinking of starting a new way of operating. It'll make us seem more professional anyway.