A & S

Nissan Navara Chassis Rust Problem

Hi Guys,

Has anyone had any issues with Nissan Navara Chassis rust? Got a Nissan Navara in stock it has a whole in the nsr chassis rail, visible when you look in the wheel arch. the rusty whole is about 2cm x 4cm. Heard it is a common problem, will Nissan do anything about it or do i take a hit on it? 

Rotten tubs are a massive problem on these, i had one where the fuel flap inside had all rusted so badly that the hinge wouldn't stay on. Ended up welding it and getting it gone as soon as possible. A brave man buys these! 

I believe they ship them to Spain for the chassis repairs as it is legal over there?

Source: My mechanic works at Nissan.

Edited by AutoJacob
  • Like 1

I’ve seen a couple bent, the load bed folded up against the cab was all that appeared to be holding them up. 

Tbh by A&Ss description it sounds like typical rot found within the wheel arch of many a seperate chassis vehicle. I’d suggest a good look underneath, some sheet steel, a welder & under seal the whole lot.

You should be grateful the back axle isn’t knackered. Horrible vehicles with major failings, never owned one & never will but they are popular with the punters.

Nissan dealers used to offer to buy even old Navaras with the chassis rust, then scrap them. I don't know if they still do. 

You can book it in your local dealership for a free check and wait to hear what they'll offer. 

2 minutes ago, Nick M.K. said:

Nissan dealers used to offer to buy even old Navaras with the chassis rust, then scrap them. I don't know if they still do. 

You can book it in your local dealership for a free check and wait to hear what they'll offer. 

Stopped a lot of that now after people got wind and were buying them for peanuts and being offered big bucks trade in / scrap them.

I had one with rust in that area a couple of years ago. You can get strong repair plates that you can weld around the chassic, about 1/4" thick steel and 18" long. Think they were around £100 on ebay.

I just buy a big section of plate and cut the pieces out ;)

I've done enough Land Rovers that way,, but I'll only weld them up if it's localised section, if the rest of Chassis isn't far behind the fooked bit then I don't wanna know ;)