Sign in to follow this  
Del Boy

Fiesta Issue

Hi guys,

I have an issue with a fiesta I sold a couple weeks back. The customer returned the car to me for a cambelt change (i agreed to do it for him at point of sale). I asked my mechanic to do it for me - i dont usually use this particular guy due to issues he has caused in the past but never had an issue with him changing cambelts (he is cheap!).

Anyway, the belt and water pump were changed now water is leaking into the coil plugs causing it to badly misfire. Obviously i havent told my customer this, but he wants the car back ASAP!

The mechanic is saying he will seal around the plugs but im not convinced - im worried this is going to cause further problems - particularly if the leak is still there?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Get someone else to sort it. Don't use unreliable people, it never works out!

6 minutes ago, tradex said:

a fiesta.....not much to go on to be honest.

Image result for crystal ball

its a 2007 1.4 petrol. Seems to be coolant that has leaked in there

Leaking washer jet seals

Plug them with silicon sealant or buy the uprated seals

Edit:  You will also need to take the spark plugs and leads out and dry them 

Edited by twerp

The punter is innocent !,sorry but you are contributory negligent,tell the punter the truth,unwind the deal,refund or get him another Fiesta ( preferably a newer and better one) and you will be a hero....However,it may cost you a grand or more now but a lot more later on in the ‘small claims court’.

25 minutes ago, twerp said:

Leaking washer jet seals

Plug them with silicon sealant or buy the uprated seals

2 minutes ago, trade vet said:

correct give that man an apple:D

• Like 1

11 hours ago, trade vet said:

The punter is innocent !,sorry but you are contributory negligent,tell the punter the truth,unwind the deal,refund or get him another Fiesta ( preferably a newer and better one) and you will be a hero....However,it may cost you a grand or more now but a lot more later on in the ‘small claims court’.

What is this nonsense? Get to the bottom of the issue, sort it and return the car. Give the customer his money back? Honestly.....

• Like 1

Washer jets - easy to diagnose and fix.

or

core plugs leaking in the chamber where the spark plugs sit - again an easy diagnose and repair. 

11 hours ago, MSP Motors said:

What is this nonsense? Get to the bottom of the issue, sort it and return the car. Give the customer his money back? Honestly.....

The punter is innocent !,sorry but you are contributory negligent,tell the punter the truth,unwind the deal,refund or get him another Fiesta ( preferably a newer and better one) and you will be a hero....However,it may cost you a grand or more.

On your admission this subcontractor must be dodgy and has either cocked up or is setting you up for a big bill ( if he does bills) .You know what they are like,the chances are he is not telling the truth and it probably won’t be right when he completes the job .He will then probably deny all knowledge of his workmanship and blame the car.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, trade vet said:

The punter is innocent !,sorry but you are contributory negligent,tell the punter the truth,unwind the deal,refund or get him another Fiesta ( preferably a newer and better one) and you will be a hero....However,it may cost you a grand or more.

On your admission this subcontractor must be dodgy and has either cocked up or is setting you up for a big bill ( if he does bills) .You know what they are like,the chances are he is not telling the truth and it probably won’t be right when he completes the job .He will then probably deny all knowledge of his workmanship and blame the car.

Yep I agree.. on an old bag of shite fiesta just refund move on as they're piss easy to sell anyway, advertise it for sale again with a new cam belt.. if the customer refuses a refund then happy days ask him to wait patiently.

Am I missing something? Work is being carried out of customers car. It has been completed, but now there seems like there is a small issue with a coolant/washer jet leak. People are seriously suggesting a full refund? Often jobs over run, problems arise. As long as the car is fixed and the customer is updated carry on and get the car fixed. I don't anticipate this taking very long to resolve. 

If everyone was refunding used cars because of a small issue like this, the used car market would be even more of a mess. 

You guys must be buying cars back weekly.

7 minutes ago, MSP Motors said:

Am I missing something? Work is being carried out of customers car. It has been completed, but now there seems like there is a small issue with a coolant/washer jet leak. People are seriously suggesting a full refund? Often jobs over run, problems arise. As long as the car is fixed and the customer is updated carry on and get the car fixed. I don't anticipate this taking very long to resolve. 

If everyone was refunding used cars because of a small issue like this, the used car market would be even more of a mess. 

You guys must be buying cars back weekly.

you are so wrong here:unsure:

only last week i refunded a customer because inadvertently i had let the car go out with 4lbs less air in the rear tyre than the manufacturer recommends for normal town driving,to make it worse i had put a green dust cap on rather than the standard black as it only had normal air in the tyre rather than that posh stuff some tyre retailers rob you on

anyway

i qave them their money back i sent his lovely wife a massive bunch of flowers and im taking the daughter on a cruise of the back streets of bradford tuesday night

happy days:lol:

• Like 1

Update...

The leak (as mentioned) is coming from the core plugs. However, this mechanic is great for stuff like cam belts etc but not repairs (clearly)! He has changed the plugs but they're still leaking. I am taking the car to my usual mechanics tomorrow as this is obviously too difficult for him lol.

I have informed the customer who is happy to continue smokin around in my loan car.

1 minute ago, Del Boy said:

Update...

The leak (as mentioned) is coming from the core plugs. However, this mechanic is great for stuff like cam belts etc but not repairs (clearly)! He has changed the plugs but they're still leaking. I am taking the car to my usual mechanics tomorrow as this is obviously too difficult for him lol.

I have informed the customer who is happy to continue smokin around in my loan car.

You didn't think to refund him? The customer is an innocent victim in this atrocious act you are untaking, after all!

I'm sorry but I couldn't give a mechanic a cambelt job if he's not capable of replacing two piss easy core plugs! Any one who can pick up a hammer could be shown how to replace them, a cambelt is one of the most important jobs too do right!

3 minutes ago, MSP Motors said:

You didn't think to refund him? The customer is an innocent victim in this atrocious act you are untaking, after all!

haha yeah im a villain... he can have it back if he wants, no problem. might even do me a favour not having to keep phoning him

2 hours ago, tradex said:

Core plug leaking and filling the spark plug voids, new one on me, learn something every day. 

Surely you have seen this one before traded. 

Tell your mechanic to use genuine core plugs, get the hole nice and clean (awaiting smart arse comments for that one) and use a bit of loctite on the sealing part of the plug. 

44 minutes ago, Stalker said:

Surely you have seen this one before traded. 

Tell your mechanic to use genuine core plugs, get the hole nice and clean (awaiting smart arse comments for that one) and use a bit of loctite on the sealing part of the plug. 

here goes then

would ky jelly be better so the new core plugs slide in easier? ive never used loctite when fitting core plugs

1 hour ago, chief nut job said:

here goes then

would ky jelly be better so the new core plugs slide in easier? ive never used loctite when fitting core plugs

I might have known you would comment :D

the head seems to corrode around where they seal, and the loctite seals up the imperfections 

Cars are machines.... they break and need repair. When you sell a vehicle and agree to do specific work as part of the deal, that becomes part of the contract. The fact that whilst completing this work another problem occurs or prevails itself is typical of working with machines. At the end of the day, advice your customer and get it fixed...End of story.... I don't think anything else needs to be read into this...... 

On the bigger zetec they're inside the channel between the two cams where the plugs live, I imagine the 1.25 and 1.4 are the same?? I've changed them on a 1.6 before but not yet on the smaller engines.

23 hours ago, Del Boy said:

Update...

Sounds like bad timing, will you pick up the bill for the plugs or Customer?

1 hour ago, justlooking said:

Sounds like bad timing, will you pick up the bill for the plugs or Customer?

Me, he’s only had it a week lol 

12 hours ago, Del Boy said:

Me, he’s only had it a week lol 

Sorry to hear, least they’ll be happy with the service, great job with the courtesy car, something I’ve considered but my insurer won’t entertain covering me for loan car cover 

Edited by justlooking