Sign in to follow this  
AutoJacob

Astra 1.6 CBT Z16XER engines.. DOOM

Hey all,

I hope you're all enjoying your evening after the second bottle of wine along side watching some saucy Love Island.

I've bought a Disastra today, 2008 Astra 1.6 VVT 70K Mileage, 6 stamps, last serviced 9K ago.. after a 30 mile trip home from the AH the oil light has come on and it sounds like the bottom end is falling apart, I'm thinking oil filter has collapsed as it's half way on the dip stick but I am hoping it isn't too late and the bottom end hasn't gone.

Any ideas or suggestions other than replacing oil filter / Oil change.

As always, any and all help is greatly appreciated

Edited by AutoJacob

its a vauxhall what more is there to say,if it does have the paper mashins filter be sure to clean all the sludge out of there too

10 hours ago, chief nut job said:

its a vauxhall what more is there to say,if it does have the paper mashins filter be sure to clean all the sludge out of there too

I know.. recently I've been losing more than winning on Vaux stuff.

Also discovered yesterday that another new purchase (Pug 207) has a head gasket issue, pressurizing but not over heating.. nightmare!

I'll have a proper look today and see what is happening

7 minutes ago, AutoJacob said:

I know.. recently I've been losing more than winning on Vaux stuff.

Also discovered yesterday that another new purchase (Pug 207) has a head gasket issue, pressurizing but not over heating.. nightmare!

I'll have a proper look today and see what is happening

Our biggest loss of the year went to a 207 if i had to quit tomorrow or buy another 207 i would be selling the big issue before you know it.

54 minutes ago, tradex said:

What happens to the oil filters, pray tell?

If its one of the budget type filters -(Euro crossland) they disintegrate into mush and clog the bottom of the filter housing.

I think the pick up pipe in the sump can get a bit choked on this engine too.

I had a 08 1.6 Sxi come in PX. Was fine until it sat for a week. Now it’ll start but will cut out the second you touch the accelerator (have tried another pedal-still the same.). Auto electrician is stumped, although I think it’s more a lack of interest. 

Not the end of the world as doesn’t owe much but a nice car otherwise  

Anyone had this?

1 hour ago, NOACROSS said:

I had a 08 1.6 Sxi come in PX. Was fine until it sat for a week. Now it’ll start but will cut out the second you touch the accelerator (have tried another pedal-still the same.). Auto electrician is stumped, although I think it’s more a lack of interest. 

Not the end of the world as doesn’t owe much but a nice car otherwise  

Anyone had this?

Probably not your issue on this but Ive had fuel gauge issues with Astras where they stick in the wrong place so you think you have fuel when you dont. If it is starting, I guess thats unlikely but you never know...

Hmm. Interesting. Thanks. I’ll chuck a can in it. How funny would that be! 

it wont be funny if Ive made you waste a gallon of fuel....

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Matt Reid said:

it wont be funny if Ive made you waste a gallon of fuel....

Least it’ll help it burn if it annoys me much more. ;o)

Just now, NOACROSS said:

Least it’ll help it burn if it annoys me much more. ;o)

hi

for future reference most things vauxhall usually display a badge telling you this

use this to walk on by as 

Dionne Warwick

would say

;)

What would you guys say the chances of BCA taking this back are? Or atleast some money off.. it was in the UKCGR Select category, despite being a grade 5 (deep keying) I seen £300 bodywork and nothing more at the time, it's now looking like £500 engine, £130 fitting, £300 bodywork on a 08 Astra ...

Considering the Peugeot 207 nightmare that I bought last week with a blown H/G as well I feel like blasting the branch manager 

Edited by AutoJacob

hi i was hoping you had got to stop it before termination,really sorry to read this, your chances of some contribution will be zilch i would have thought,a grand to get it ready to somewhere near retail on an 08 doesnt bare thinking about,sorry mate:(

2 hours ago, AutoJacob said:

What would you guys say the chances of BCA taking this back are? Or atleast some money off.. it was in the UKCGR Select category, despite being a grade 5 (deep keying) I seen £300 bodywork and nothing more at the time, it's now looking like £500 engine, £130 fitting, £300 bodywork on a 08 Astra ...

Considering the Peugeot 207 nightmare that I bought last week with a blown H/G as well I feel like blasting the branch manager 

Did it have a mechanical report?

8 minutes ago, Stalker said:

Did it have a mechanical report?

Sold as seen.. just feel robbed as this shouldn't have been in UKCGR Select at all 

7 minutes ago, AutoJacob said:

Sold as seen.. just feel robbed as this shouldn't have been in UKCGR Select at all 

They are all sold as seen... did you get charged a assured charge?

1 hour ago, Stalker said:

They are all sold as seen... did you get charged a assured charge?

Nope, sold as seen no charge £1050 incl fees. CAP Retail £2395.. I would normally sell for 1995.

1 hour ago, AutoJacob said:

I read the other day the only difference between all of those categories is age and mileage and grade. A premium car has just as much chance of having a hidden issue as a trade one. Don’t know how true that is but ultimately you’re buying a car from we buy any car, there’s usually a reason why joe public have taken it to wbac! 

19 minutes ago, EPV said:

A premium car has just as much chance of having a hidden issue as a trade one. 

+1. If there’s anyone on here who thinks that a premium car at the block won’t have problems then they should visit the Jobcentre tomorrow.

21 minutes ago, EPV said:

Don’t know how true that is but ultimately you’re buying a car from we buy any car, there’s usually a reason why joe public have taken it to wbac! 

+1. Bleedin’ bloody obvious, I’d say! Apart from a few lazy sods, who on earth would bomb out their motor to these parasites who rape them on the valuation.

32 minutes ago, AutoJacob said:

CAP Retail £2395.. I would normally sell for 1995.

£2395 for a 10 year old PETROL ASTRA with a service history of err...6 stamps!?!! Surely that’s a misprint.

7 hours ago, BHM said:

+1. If there’s anyone on here who thinks that a premium car at the block won’t have problems then they should visit the Jobcentre tomorrow.

+1. Bleedin’ bloody obvious, I’d say! Apart from a few lazy sods, who on earth would bomb out their motor to these parasites who rape them on the valuation.

£2395 for a 10 year old PETROL ASTRA with a service history of err...6 stamps!?!! Surely that’s a misprint.

I've had many successful purchases from WBAC.. normally I'm good at sifting through the crap but I've been caught out good and proper this time.

CAP Retail is always over valued, I'm going to try complaining today and see where it gets me, considering i now have spent £2500 on cars that need engines over the past 2 weeks.