Sign in to follow this  
Mikey360

Your best misheard motoring words

Had a fantastic text off my sister today. She was having her tyres changed and they couldn't find her "lock and wulnut key"

Nearly spat my tea out!

Anybody had any better?

I can think of misunderstandings.A long time ago we used to get high spec ex Bass breweries Rover 600’s out of Mansfield.I think they were £46-£4700 and were good sellers.One Saturday morning we are busy and we get a transporter delivery.Our main salesman says to me ‘how much was that Rover that’s just getting dropped off’.I reply something like ‘it was cheap,just under 4 grand.Later on in the day I find out that when he had asked,he had a punter on it.The idiot sold it for £3950 instead of the usual price £5950.To say I blew a head gasket was an understatement because in those days we did not just press a button to buy stock,we were constantly up and down motorways early mornings or late at night trying to buy stock.....still rankles.

• Like 1

Windowscreen really winds me up!

Its a bloody windscreen! A screen that’s screens you from the wind hence the name. Not a screen for flying windows!

sorry rant over

Edited by Lakeside

Dunno if these count but here goes anyway;

EFG valve. A random selection of three letters, in context I realised the punter meant EGR.

DEM, or was it DCR, or was it.....? You get the picture. It was a punter referring to a DPF. At least the ‘D’ was correct.

“The Saab dealer rejigged my exhaust”. It turned out he’d had a forced regen on his DPF. Tbh I was more interested in finding this Saab dealership considering Saab went tits up years ago.

And the foreign punter who mistook the word Gold for Yellow. It must of got lost in translation, the poor sod did a 600 mile round trip to get an education in the English for ‘gold’, rather than the ‘yellow’ one I’d sold the week before.

When I met the other half, she told me she used to own a Vauxhall Fiesta. I still take the piss out of her now.... oh look there’s a Ford Vectra,  oh look there’s a Vauxhall Mondeo.. the joke isn’t getting thin even after 10 years :lol:

13 hours ago, David Ayers said:

Lady went into the parts department asking for some 710 for her engine.

Yes, for years she was seeing this part number written on her OIL cap :-)

3 hours ago, tradex said:

We did have a lady ask about a Timmy belt, as in Timothy's belt a while back. 

And an arkward moment trying to decipher what a Heeyouindieeye was until Getz was mentioned.....sounded like the guy was either in pain or turning into a werewolf. 

Similar thing but mispelt civilian ads:

Breaks

Tiers

Toebar

Disks

Then again, I prefer rotors to discs;)

Yea I’ve seen a few on eBay adverts over the years. “Just had new head gas kit” was a recent one.

• Like 1

I bought a car years ago over the phone (when traders still existed and would offer you cars and deliver them) as he said it was an estate car.

It turned up and it was a saloon. Rang him up to moan and he said he’d told me it was ‘in a state’.  It was. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nick M.K. said:

Yes, for years she was seeing this part number written on her OIL cap :-)

Clever - that got me, so thanks for settling it

Trip-Tronic gearbox :angry:

180k - nuffin for these motors. Just had a new engine put in wiv 90k. Needs new turbo. - Can you tell we've been browsing the classifieds? :rolleyes: