j4ck100

When do sales pick up again?

Hi all

Small dealer got a few motors up for sale since week before Xmas, been so slow had 1 call, are others finding this as well? If so when is it believed it will pick up again? Got a mate in a main dealer says it's dead atm too, new and used. Not overpriced my stock to my knowledge.

Cheers

Slow here too! We've just completed our first year of trading. January was a good month for us last year. Others I've spoke to locally say its "dead" So don't worry too much!

It will stay dead as long as we allow AutoTrader to continue telling our customers the trade prices of our cars.

Their free 'valuation' service is killing us.

Do not underestimate the damage this is causing.

Check your own stock against the 'valuations' they provide. Then think like a potential customer using the info they have given. What would you do?

And. more importantly, what would you want to pay?

• Like 1

If we had the answer you could chose to open around the busy times instead of sitting there 7 days a week hoping for some footfall, Historically in my experience this week in between Xmas and the New year can be quite busy but i think the weather holds the key at the moment, usually around the second week in January things start picking up causing trade prices to escalate also, all you can do is make sure everything is ready for the elusive customer when they arrive, all documentation available and the car presented as well as you can, now get off your backsides and clear all the snow of that stock  :rolleyes:

We did one yesterday but it wont pick up until we're rolling in to January, February was a brilliant month this year for us so have stocked up ready!

Well my cars are under what auto trader tells me I should be selling for so wonder if it goes both ways?

There does seem to be some mixed messages out there at the minute; however this is due to extreme 'micro-climates' of some of the dealers.  I'm also aware that some major supermarkets are not entering into the January Sale game this year, as they felt it didn't increase the sales volumes but did lower the PPU.

On the AT question, it would be interesting to understand the ratio of consumer valuation requests on the cars they are intending to part-exchange against those they are looking to purchase - entering the VRM from the advert?? 

Been really quiet in november and december but its always been like that,you should bag some sales in january but certainly customers are more picky these days than ever before,my secret is to get your cars mint, mint and keep them mint, mint,this way the folded arms syndrome of the wife of a potential buyer cant find a fault so the car gets bought rather than a new settee, or the husband cant fault it to his wife also, oh and ignore derogatory remarks no matter how hard they are remember you want the sale even though you wouldnt want the customer as a friend,the good days have gone where there was another bum for every seat

goodas luckas,

sb

• Like 1

For me it is dead until christmas is over. It booms in the week between Christmas and New year . Then we are plane sailing all the way until it dives again.

Has the first weekend of 2015 shown light at the end of the tunnel for business picking up? Is the stock beginning to find its way through, giving you some choice and quality retail opportunities? 

We ALL Know it goes quiet near Christmas time , sadly for the motortrade that will not change , as 'Newbie' says have the stock 'mint' and when the customers do flock in they cannot find a reason not to buy!

AT Pricing - difficult I know but I look at it at times and take it with a pinch of salt !! Some of these prices are a joke , not always 'under valuing ' but some the other way saying it should be more ! Every car is unique unless if you're selling same' bread & butter' stock ! Have confidence in your own stock , own ability and how you 'market' your own business / dealership - I've always from day one said "I am not the cheapest , never will be BUT I will sell you the best cars and offer you best car buying experience with great back up service " !

I'm no expert but that's my thoughts !

Happy selling guys and all the very best for 2015! Keep smiling and selling!

• Like 2

Picked up a bit over the weekend. Could do without a prolonged cold period though.

Have been having an interesting chat with a senior bod from a well-known valuation supplier. Seems they are very wary of values for the next few months because of the impending massive glut of PCP returns from end Feb onwards. The advice is if you have these sort of cars in stock - get 'em gone as quick as poss as there's many many more coming and values can only go one way. You may have some very expensive local landmarks on your forecourt in the summer otherwise.

eg Last year Kia had around 4000 PCP returns. This year, they are expecting 12000! Not sure if the market has the capacity.

• Like 1