Sign in to follow this  
MainDealerBiatch

How to deal with a texter

get his number do a gumtree advert, 2004 Passat highline auto diesel 100k £599, he can text as many as he wants then

• Like 1

I dont get this feeling against people texting myself, i get them all the time just give them a price they either say yes or no.

As we pitch our product to first time buyers they often communicate via text even gets whats app enq's its how young folk talk.

• Like 2

Personally I hate texting but its heer to stay. Much rather have a chat

Give them an inch and they’ll be texting a dozen times. 

Happy to call them and chat or email is fine. 

We also have a’live chat’ facility

People who have read your advert, watched your video, done their research will call.

Polite email enquiries are phishing. 

Texters are pond life. 

To be fair I've had a fair few good texters/messages. People have turned up and been some of my easiest sales. Others have called and either never turned up or been the "wife wants it mint/here's my mechanic friend" brigade.

If they're idiots they'll waste your time equally whether they call or text. 

• Like 1

I can’t comment on the text idiots too much; as if they text, I immediately call them and repeat with each subsequent text. 

You’re right though- idiots come from all angles and it’s part of the job. (I quite like an idiot when I’m bored, but not by text.) Half the time I can’t work out what they’re saying and don’t get me started on all those little yellow smiley things that all look the same!

You’ll never convince many of us the value of texting back. It’s a pathetic way to ask about a car, but this is mostly based on the quality of the leads over the years who have text. 

However, ‘Her Indoors’ says I’m just miserable. Maybe she is right.  I’d wager BHM, Arfur etc get the same :o)

I’d also suggest that the good texters you’ve had would have happily taken your call after their initial text. Or listened to your voicemail asking them to call /email at their leisure.

Edited by NOACROSS

Half the time (or more) they don’t answer and don’t call or text back. 

However, I rarely even look at the work mobile (it is on permanent forwarding to the landline). I never give my personal mobile number out either. 

I was just quoting Trade Girl’s ‘good texter’ comment. It obviously happens in her world. 

4 minutes ago, Arfur Dealy said:

Good texter? Chase the texter by calling them...

I’m obviously on a different planet. 

Hahaha, I must live on the same planet. There’s no f***ing chance of me phoning some text cretin who can’t be bothered to phone, or can’t afford to phone because their GiffGaff credit is running low.

The 1% of texters who are actually genuine WILL phone when they don’t get a response. It’s bad enough fielding emails as more than half of them are clearly from knobheads.

5 minutes ago, BHM said:

Hahaha, I must live on the same planet. There’s no f***ing chance of me phoning some text cretin who can’t be bothered to phone, or can’t afford to phone because their GiffGaff credit is running low.

The 1% of texters who are actually genuine WILL phone when they don’t get a response. It’s bad enough fielding emails as more than half of them are clearly from knobheads.

Buyers call. 

Guys, I never said I've had a LOT of good texters. I'll agree that the many of them are all "What's your lowest price?", Or "1 grand below the asking price for cash".

But I've had a few good eggs. Plus with the texters if they're going to be an idiot, I'd rather not talk to them on the phone anyway.

Fecking Dinosaurs... its the modern world folks, GP appointment reminders by text, DPD/courier info via text, bank/CC balance via text, flight/ferry confirmation via text, order a pizza via text, inquire about a car via text, rightly or wrongly good and bad communicate via text whether SMS or social media messaging its quick and simple and can be done from anywhere, work desk, lying in bed, having a shite... If the opening text is 'best price???' it'll be ignored but if it has some intent and genuine interest i'll respond.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Arfur Dealy said:

People who have read your advert, watched your video, done their research will call.

Polite email enquiries are phishing. 

Texters are pond life. 

39 minutes ago, Arfur Dealy said:

Buyers call. 

Completely agree with this!!

texting and social media is here to stay. although i hate "best price" before they see it, alot of people just want to know if they can fit it within their budget,

7 hours ago, Paddy said:

Fecking Dinosaurs... its the modern world folks, GP appointment reminders by text, DPD/courier info via text, bank/CC balance via text, flight/ferry confirmation via text, order a pizza via text, inquire about a car via text, rightly or wrongly good and bad communicate via text whether SMS or social media messaging its quick and simple and can be done from anywhere, work desk, lying in bed, having a shite... If the opening text is 'best price???' it'll be ignored but if it has some intent and genuine interest i'll respond.

Complete BS. Texters are bottom feeders, there’s no ifs or buts, they’ve texted because they don’t actually want to speak to you. 

20 minutes ago, Grantlfc81 said:

texting and social media is here to stay. although i hate "best price" before they see it, alot of people just want to know if they can fit it within their budget,

Our take on that is

Dear customer it maybe a good idea to look at cars within your budget.

1 hour ago, Grantlfc81 said:

If you have a car up for £3995 and their budget is £3500, then they shouldn’t be looking at your car. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Paddy said:

2 hours ago, EPV said:

If you have a car up for £3995 and their budget is £3500, then they shouldn’t be looking at your car. 

So if we go to an auction and the guide price is £3995 should we be allowed to start the bidding at £3500 or should we just not look at the car.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Paddy said:

Fecking Dinosaurs... its the modern world folks, 

So true. Love it. We are that. Some on here more than others.Will the last Dinasour present please turn off the lights behind them. 

(I'm still not texting back- they can answer the phone ;0)

I've always said this job is about prostitution: You've just got to decide how much you are going to prostitute yourself to the punters.  For me it's no texting and no calls answered after 7 unless a message left and I like the sound of them.  For some of you it's no Sunday opening etc.

• Like 1

younger generation just dont use the phone, especially 18-23 year old girls. i sold a £6k audi tt over facebook messenger the otherday..... i literally spent 10 mins text, done, bank transfer deposit. viewed the car yesterday, collecting saturday. Get with the times people :)

• Like 2