Sign in to follow this  
Nick M.K.

Silver, Grey or Black alloys assuming all colours go with the car?

When you refurb wheels and have a colour choice what do you go for mostly? Again, assuming an exterior colour that goes with anything.

I used to hate black wheels, now everyone wants them!

Depends on the car. For example, two of mine;

e320 cdi Estate, dark grey 18” alloys. Factory colour all day long. 

RRS, dark grey, 22” alloys. I’ve got it booked in next week to have anthracite colour change, they are currently in need of a refurb and they’re black which I think looks shite. 

Yep depends on the car, I remember we had an Alfa 156 GTA (I know, I know) for ages in stock a few years back until someone told me to change the silver alloys to white, thought it odd at the time but it sold very quickly once they were swapped.

generally I stick to factory

9 hours ago, Nick M.K. said:

When you refurb wheels and have a colour choice what do you go for mostly? Again, assuming an exterior colour that goes with anything.

I used to hate black wheels, now everyone wants them!

Nick, I've got an 09 XF 2.7D, Ivory Leather, lovely metallic mid-grey bodywork, it's a right gem. 72k serviced every year. Can in part ex at £900 below book so I have a little bit of room to add value. I'm torn between refurbing the wheels to a factory finish (silver alloy etc) or going with a gun-metal grey or even darker. It will look great but...

You talk about adding value which I believe in and it doesn't always mean I can sell the car for more it may mean I will sell it quicker and save on my overheads etc. Given the spec, age of the car, likely buyer etc, am I wasting my money? I can get all 4 colour changed for £260.

I have attached a photo of an XF in Grey with the wheels in Grey just to give you an idea of how it looks. Depending on the wheel design it could improve the look of the car and make it stand out. Also attached is a photo of my £5600 TT I mentioned in another thread with the most basic 17" wheels that we refurbed in black. 113% increase in ad views compared to silver. And this is at £8K. 

Jag XF grey wheels.jpg

TT black wheels.jpg

Red car black wheels is a no brainer. Looks superb. 

So what would you do if you were me, given the “ old man” market is the most likely target audience? 

Your target audience is a 40-55 yo man (or a lady) that "always wanted one" and will most likely p/x something like a Mondeo or an older 3 series. They will appreciate a car that stands out and has a bit of wow factor. When they call you they'll tell you that they've looked for a few months and that your car just "stood out". 

Until you try it you'll never know :-) 

It has to be a car by car decision, there is no fast rule. I personally like black because it only costs me the price of a simonize can :)

5 minutes ago, Arfur Dealy said:

I personally like black because it only costs me the price of a simonize can

Are you telling me that the £200 (+Vat)  per set I've paying for the last few years has been a waste :-) This is the million pound education I was talking about in another thread...

1 minute ago, Nick M.K. said:

Are you telling me that the £200 (+Vat)  per set I've paying for the last few years has been a waste :-) This is the million pound education I was talking about in another thread...

Nick I’ve never paid for a wheel refurb:) just buy some Halfords workshop primer £10 and simonize gloss black, you don’t even need to take the wheels off the car, just spray onto the tyres... when dried jet wash the overspray off the tyres... simple 

Tip... spay the wheels when the car is on grass (no paint on the floor) then lawnmower off for no evidence :ph34r:

• Like 1

When the before is like the silver and I want an after like the black I may have to keep paying for a while :-)

IMG_8343.jpg

IMG_8344.jpg

19 minutes ago, Nick M.K. said:

Your target audience is a 40-55 yo man (or a lady) that "always wanted one" and will most likely p/x something like a Mondeo or an older 3 series. They will appreciate a car that stands out and has a bit of wow factor. When they call you they'll tell you that they've looked for a few months and that your car just "stood out". 

Until you try it you'll never know :-) 

My main dilemma is the place I get my trade prices probably won’t be able to get me booked in for a week. So I either delay getting the car up for a sale or get my smart repair bloke who can do them tomorrow and I can have the car up for sale by Tuesday. He can repair scuffs but a colour change is a bridge too far. 

I’m leaning towards getting it up for sale ASAP and if I have no bites after a month do the wheels to see if that does the job. 

9 minutes ago, Arfur Dealy said:

Nick I’ve never paid for a wheel refurb:) just buy some Halfords workshop primer £10 and simonize gloss black, you don’t even need to take the wheels off the car, just spray onto the tyres... when dried jet wash the overspray off the tyres... simple 

Tip... spay the wheels when the car is on grass (no paint on the floor) then lawnmower off for no evidence :ph34r:

What about repairing the scuffs, on the rim and spokes?

Just now, EPV said:

I’m leaning towards getting it up for sale ASAP and if I have no bites after a month do the wheels to see if that does the job.

That's a valid strategy. Or: 

You can get the car up for sale immediately with images from the front, back and multiple interior and detail shots while you are waiting for the wheels to be refurbed. Write in the advert something like "19in Artura alloy wheels in gunmetal grey" and if a customer comes to view the car before it's done just show it as is. If they question the colour let them know that it's booked in and would they still prefer gunmetal or the original silver...

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201806067239104

7 minutes ago, EPV said:

My main dilemma is the place I get my trade prices probably won’t be able to get me booked in for a week. So I either delay getting the car up for a sale or get my smart repair bloke who can do them tomorrow and I can have the car up for sale by Tuesday. He can repair scuffs but a colour change is a bridge too far. 

What about repairing the scuffs, on the rim and spokes?

I don’t bother, it’s a used vehicle. Stand back 5 foot and you never notice... it’s nowhere near as good as a proper refurb but it your alloys look shit then it’s a 100% improvement. Workshop primer is thick and with a few coats will do wonders. 

15 minutes ago, Nick M.K. said:

You can get the car up for sale immediately with images from the front, back and multiple interior and detail shots while you are waiting for the wheels to be refurbed. Write in the advert something like "19in Artura alloy wheels in gunmetal grey" and if a customer comes to view the car before it's done just show it as is. If they question the colour let them know that it's booked in and would they still prefer gunmetal or the original silver...

A very good strategy. 

11 minutes ago, Arfur Dealy said:

I don’t bother, it’s a used vehicle. Stand back 5 foot and you never notice... it’s nowhere near as good as a proper refurb but it your alloys look shit then it’s a 100% improvement. Workshop primer is thick and with a few coats will do wonders. 

Also a very good strategy. 

30 minutes ago, Arfur Dealy said:

Couple of questions;

Do you rub down at all, to key for the paint you’re about to apply? 

Does the paint have an adverse effect on the brake discs or does a good old “Italian tune up” solve that? 

1 hour ago, Nick M.K. said:

When the before is like the silver and I want an after like the black I may have to keep paying for a while :-)

IMG_8343.jpg

IMG_8344.jpg

I know it’s a bit of a bodge but you can easily get away with bumper scuffs using a 120 grit sand paper and then a 600 to key off then blow in with a moondust silver, Ive done it on loads of wheels and it looks great 

Just now, david gott said:

I know it’s a bit of a bodge but you can easily get away with bumper scuffs using a 120 grit sand paper and then a 600 to key off then blow in with a moondust silver, Ive done it on loads of wheels and it looks great 

Sorry....... Alloy wheel scuffs

• Like 1

It is all about the wheels,always has been.My first job was washing,valeting and painting wheels.A few years back,We used to buy loads of big Chinese copy alloys ( with tyres)when the pound was stronger.By the time you sold the old wheels on EBay they were costing about £250.....A3’s in particular would fly out.

I used to spend forever returning cars to standard now we like to do a colour change here and there on alloys.

32 minutes ago, Rory RSC said:

I used to spend forever returning cars to standard now we like to do a colour change here and there on alloys.

I had in my mind “flash alloys for Boy racers” but having sat looking out of the cafe window for 10 mins there are all sorts of cars, Hyundai’s and Mazdas etc driven by men in their 50’s and 60’s that have non silver wheels, be it shaded chrome or two tone and so on. Have booked the XF in to have a colour change to gun metal grey. 

17 hours ago, Nick M.K. said:

How much was that ?

£8.5k-£9k ?

17 hours ago, EPV said:

Couple of questions;

Do you rub down at all, to key for the paint you’re about to apply? 

Does the paint have an adverse effect on the brake discs or does a good old “Italian tune up” solve that? 

Haha, I’m with Arfur all the way on minimising refurb costs but then most of my cars are shite anyway. Most of mine are left battered & scuffed but I’m not dealing with ‘precious’ buyers of Germany’s finest.

10 minutes ago, BHM said:

Haha, I’m with Arfur all the way on minimising refurb costs but then most of my cars are shite anyway. Most of mine are left battered & scuffed but I’m not dealing with ‘precious’ buyers of Germany’s finest.

Well I agree with you both. I have an 07 A6 avant with 127k on the clock, 1 owner, main Dealer SH, drives very straight. Would I get those alloys done? No. But a 09 72k XF with every toy going? Different story I think. I will def tackle a set using Simon’s method. Worst that can happen is i’ll have to get them done properly but if I can make a job of it I may just add a little bit of kerb appeal. 

You’ll be pleasantly surprised at the results. I wouldn’t use gloss black on a home job (perhaps Arfur’s prep is better than mine), but a dark satin grey looks a treat & hides plenty of lumps & bumps cos needless to say my paint prep standards are piss poor - if the wheels are rough then it helps ‘key’ the paint so stuff using sandpaper!! A jet wash off, leave to dry then straight out with the rattle can. Job done.