Sign in to follow this  
EPV

That sinking feeling...

When your proxy bid on a car is £7,400 and the bidding stops at £6,100 and gets sold to you. 

I may have to rethink my means of collection at there’s a distinct possibility driving it myself won’t work lol 

watch this space kids 

think positive man

you nicked it:)

now dont do what i do in these situations and sell it cheap only for the punters to ask why its so cheap

13 minutes ago, chief runnin bee said:

think positive man

you nicked it:)

now dont do what i do in these situations and sell it cheap only for the punters to ask why its so cheap

We'll soon find out! It will keep life interesting if nothing else. "Will I be driving it home, will I need a recovery truck, will it keep me awake at night, will I be doing cowboy whoops up and down the AH counting my profit" 

Who knows...

Having the same feeling myself. Won a Dacia this morning that should have been well over book went considerably behind...only good thing is there's so little in the car to go wrong.

...might have cursed it there

2 hours ago, grant8064 said:

Won a Dacia this morning that should have been well over book...

Something I would never know if it wasn't for the forum. My dad owned a poo-brown Dacia in the communist late eighties and it scared me off the brand for good :-)

2 hours ago, grant8064 said:

Having the same feeling myself. Won a Dacia this morning that should have been well over book went considerably behind...only good thing is there's so little in the car to go wrong.

...might have cursed it there

Dacia should have been well over book...? 

Yep, Sandero Stepways with under 40K are like hens teeth round our way. Always make strong money for the right models. Really good sellers and surprisingly OK to drive. Massive demand for them with very little supply locally from Renault makes it a winner. Just an old Clio so there's nothing much to worry about on them bar the odd bit of corrosion.

41 minutes ago, trade vet said:

Dacia should have been well over book...? 

I think the book might give these a right old slating...

I see more and more Teachers / University Lecturer types driving these now. All seem to have large roof boxes and dogs in the boot.

The book may not take extras into consideration (luggage racks, dog guards etc..)

20 minutes ago, Stalker said:

I see more and more Teachers / University Lecturer types driving these now. All seem to have large roof boxes and dogs in the boot.

The book may not take extras into consideration (luggage racks, dog guards etc..)

Has anyone ever had a punter ask to get a Dacia for them.

30 minutes ago, trade vet said:

A cleaner might (have a think about that one) 

Most of the time my bids are pretty much bang on or over the cap clean valuation, as thats what everybody else pays or is prepared to pay.

Today though i bid on an i20 with my max in my head of £2600, the cap clean was £2625 and i was bidding online against hall bidders..........got to £2200 expecting it to keep creeping up  but got it at that. Thought maybe there is something people in the Hall know that i dont, but having driven it home its really nice and a genuine grade 2.

Its nice to get a good deal for once!

5 hours ago, EPV said:

When your proxy bid on a car is £7,400 and the bidding stops at £6,100 and gets sold to you. 

I may have to rethink my means of collection at there’s a distinct possibility driving it myself won’t work lol 

watch this space kids 

Common EPV...be confident there's a 3k profit is this one :D

2 hours ago, Stalker said:

They're popular things. Always got people asking after them. They're one of those cars that just books wrong. The book might say 6K retail but try finding one for under 7K in a 50 miles radius...not happening. They attract a certain type of 'value for money' buyer who understands depreciation and will happily jump in a 20k 15 plate knowing they're not going to lose 4k driving a new one off a main dealer forecourt. They also won't travel for a cheaper one if it's miles away.

I think our location helps too. Used to have a Skoda franchise near us that was knocking out Favorits and Felecias for fun when they were THE value brand. Now Skoda are mega bucks new and Dacia have picked up the market. That budget car idea is still in a lot of local punters brains. I'm always surprised there aren't brands other than Renault trying to hoover up that basic, cheap and cheerful market left behind by Skoda.

Tbh the Dacia & SsangYong brands have what appear to be reasonably attractive products at reasonably attractive prices - I can see why certain ‘no nonsense’ customers are attracted to them new or nearly new. 

I’d guess they’re no sports car but tbh neither is any Audi A4 1.9Tdi I’ve driven and there are many folk who find the German marques’ image distasteful. 

50 minutes ago, BHM said:

Tbh the Dacia & SsangYong brands have what appear to be reasonably attractive products at reasonably attractive prices - I can see why certain ‘no nonsense’ customers are attracted to them new or nearly new. 

I’d guess they’re no sports car but tbh neither is any Audi A4 1.9Tdi I’ve driven and there are many folk who find the German marques’ image distasteful. 

They’re shite in my book. Plastic cheap crap. But as you say not everyone wants a big German saloon. The light is on and burning brightly for the masses. 

Well I might be tempting fate but on the face of it, there’s little wrong. The EML is on but it drives well (50 mile trip didn’t miss a beat) so hopefully that’s a straightforward sensor or something similar. The bodywork barely has a mark on it and everything works which is rare for any land rover let alone one with 92k on. Even found an extra 2 services in the docs that weren’t listed on the auction entry. 

Assuming the eml isn’t terminal then the gamble paid off! 

11 minutes ago, EPV said:

Well I might be tempting fate but on the face of it, there’s little wrong. The EML is on but it drives well (50 mile trip didn’t miss a beat) so hopefully that’s a straightforward sensor or something similar. The bodywork barely has a mark on it and everything works which is rare for any land rover let alone one with 92k on. Even found an extra 2 services in the docs that weren’t listed on the auction entry. 

Assuming the eml isn’t terminal then the gamble paid off! 

What Land Rover have you bought?  You're a brave man

On 5/30/2018 at 5:31 PM, trade vet said:

I had a man passing us on his way to the builders merchants looking for a new wheelbarrow....

He did ask if we had a Dacia instead....

1 hour ago, Mark101 said:

What Land Rover have you bought?  You're a brave man

He who dares rodders

2008 RR sport 

5 minutes ago, EPV said:

He who dares rodders

2008 RR sport 

Not sure brave was the right description :wub:

Hope it goes well though James - lovely vehicle when they work and if it's the TDV8 it has a brilliant motor

3 hours ago, Mark101 said:

Not sure brave was the right description :wub:

Hope it goes well though James - lovely vehicle when they work and if it's the TDV8 it has a brilliant motor

Nope. 2.7d with an eml on. Probably the worst one. BUT, they aren’t all shagged, they don’t all go wrong and like Alfa’s, they seem to be able to be made of balsa wood and porcelain and yet people love them and buy them worldwide in their millions. I’ve got plenty of wiggle room in this and as long as the eml isn’t terminal (seems unlikely given the car drives spot on) then I can afford a sensor or two. 

I will buy a lot worse lemons than this....

In other news, I bought an 06 ML350 today, a bit tatty but purrs along the motorway at 80mph like it was new. An oil leak fixed here and there and i’ll polish and hoover the life out of it and she’ll be as good as new. 

• Like 1

You weren't tempted to read the fault codes before driving it home ?!

Edited by twerp

3 minutes ago, twerp said:

This is something I can't resist, first thing I do on any auction car is drive it around a short route outside the AH, plug the bugger in and check if I've been shafted and then stick it in the hotel car park next door until I can come back and collect later on :D

• Like 1

4 hours ago, twerp said:

I don’t have a diagnostic reader mate. My local garage has them all. As I understand it, the proper ones are about 2 grand? I don’t ever encounter enough situations where spending that kind of money would justify it. Any part ex’s I take in I whip round the corner and get him to plug it in.