Sign in to follow this  
Grantlfc81

Bad buys from the block

What are you guys doing with our bad buys from the block?

Bought a TT auto last month but it had so many things wrong with it. 

Glove box broke, drivers window button broke, aircon knob broke, missing parcels shelves and clips rear cluster needed replacing - front headlight cracked. Rear fog lamp needed rewiring - 

repairs and labour looking like £700 plus servicing - luckily mechanically sound - 2 weeks before it’s going to ready by the time I find all the bits. Would you of outed this or spent the time on it and bit the bullet?

ive actually got everything done and should make £200 but it’s been a total ball ache.

23 minutes ago, Grantlfc81 said:

Glove box broke, drivers window button broke, aircon knob broke, missing parcels shelves and clips rear cluster needed replacing - front headlight cracked. Rear fog lamp needed rewiring - 

repairs and labour looking like £700 plus servicing - luckily mechanically sound - 2 weeks before it’s going to ready by the time I find all the bits. Would you of outed this or spent the time on it and bit the bullet?

ive actually got everything done and should make £200 but it’s been a total ball ache.

Depends what's in the deal/margin vs. rework.

I rarely auction off cars, I just look favourably on the PX and try and work myself out the shitters by taking lower value PX (even if I know they are shit), until a point that the final PX owes me little or nothing.

51 minutes ago, Grantlfc81 said:

if i see stuff like this i always use ebay to check out how much things cost

its surprising how cheap some stuff is from lithuania if willing to wait a week for delivery

54 minutes ago, Grantlfc81 said:

Parts off eBay or the local breakers are dirt cheap and all of that's easy to fit. Get it done and get it sold. That's all easy peasy stuff in my opinion.

For me a bad buy from the block isn't stuff like that, it's stuff with seemingly incurable faults.

Got a 1 Series with a misfiring/lumpy/jerky engine and gearbox that has been everywhere including main dealer that no one can even guess at. This one's a right lemon because a cat/exhaust is impossible to find used for the model and even then it probably won't fix it. Been sat in the corner for a while now and gets a routine kick every time i'm angry. Going on eBay in due course.

Just now, grant8064 said:

Parts off eBay or the local breakers are dirt cheap and all of that's easy to fit. Get it done and get it sold. That's all easy peasy stuff in my opinion.

For me a bad buy from the block isn't stuff like that, it's stuff with seemingly incurable faults.

Got a 1 Series with a misfiring/lumpy/jerky engine and gearbox that has been everywhere including main dealer that no one can even guess at. This one's a right lemon because a cat/exhaust is impossible to find used for the model and even then it probably won't fix it. Been sat in the corner for a while now and gets a routine kick every time i'm angry. Going on eBay in due course.

www.partsgateway.co.uk are usually good

• Like 2

For the cheap shite that is beyond help, once or twice a year I’ll stick it on eBay, spares or repair, with a brutal advert.

Usually I end up fixing the problem & just work for less. Tbh many problems are a cheap fix, last week I needed a Zafira gearbox, £150 supplied, fitted, car collected & dropped off - I didn’t leave the comfort of my sofa. Clutches/DMFs are my bugbear but SOMETIMES you can add a little onto the price & catch the right man who appreciates the fact it’s been done.

Tbh most cars currently need at least a couple of hundred quid chucking at them to make them sellable.

27 minutes ago, BHM said:

Tbh most cars currently need at least a couple of hundred quid chucking at them to make them sellable.

You can sell anything but the question is how much value do you want to add to it? You can spend £0 and earn little to nothing or as you point out you can spend £££ to earn ££££

I bought a very clean car yesterday afternoon at BCA. £1500 behind book. I can sell it today if I want BUT I am about to service it, MOT it, alloy wheels refurbed (they are very good but I will change the colour), 2 x tyres, chrome trim de-chromed, driver's seat side bolster refurbed, rear pads (and possibly discs) and whatever else my MOT tester says. Then it will get a 2 hours photo session and I will spend another few hours to advertise it to show on 5 different advertising platforms with a 2000 word ad listing every important option fitted. Can you guess the model: It has a B&W audio system?

Needless to say I will want a fair chunk of profit after all the work is completed and some people will be very happy to re-sell it just as it is and they can. But not for as much as what I will want. 

Edited by Nick M.K.

1 hour ago, Nick M.K. said:

You can sell anything but the question is how much value do you want to add to it? You can spend £0 and earn little to nothing or as you point out you can spend £££ to earn ££££

I bought a very clean car yesterday afternoon at BCA. £1500 behind book. I can sell it today if I want BUT I am about to service it, MOT it, alloy wheels refurbed (they are very good but I will change the colour), 2 x tyres, chrome trim de-chromed, driver's seat side bolster refurbed, rear pads (and possibly discs) and whatever else my MOT tester says. Then it will get a 2 hours photo session and I will spend another few hours to advertise it to show on 5 different advertising platforms with a 2000 word ad listing every important option fitted. Can you guess the model: It has a B&W audio system?

Needless to say I will want a fair chunk of profit after all the work is completed and some people will be very happy to re-sell it just as it is and they can. But not for as much as what I will want. 

It’s a Suzuki Alto, right? 

29 minutes ago, EPV said:

It’s a Suzuki Alto, right? 

i had one of those but had to mug it off as it quite clearly was only running on 3 cylinders:wacko:

Nick - How do you de chrome paint or wrap? 

Whats the cost if you don't mind me asking. 

2 hours ago, Nick M.K. said:

could be a BMW Volvo or even Mclaren from the clue of B&W audio but with the chrome up trim i would go for a BMW not many Volvo owners into pimping there rear end oww errr 

B&W? Is that a Jag by chance?

Rory, think it’s a case of wrapping over the chrome in normal black or Matt/Gloss, although lying here waiting to be corrected, check out wrap and tint worx on fb or insta, one man band in Dorset but doing lots of dechroming for brand new cars coming from New Forest Bentley and Merc main dealers.

I'd be interested to know if they actually shift at £75k for 2015 models when they are available new for £100k