Sign in to follow this  
EPV

Rogue Traders

" Must do surely?  Otherwise how do they protect their outlay?  If they don't then the car isn't the security and makes no difference"

As far as I'm aware there is no requirement for a finance company to register a loan on HPI.

But they still have an interest and the fact it's not registered is mute.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Have a read of that link I posted above.  Nothing to worry about. We can carry on buying from the public and the trade (it's the same) after HPi checks etc. 

1 hour ago, Stephen said:

Do all log books loans come up on HPI report?

Nope sadly they do not as its a personal loan, rife down my neck of the woods, touch wood i do not take many part ex's in and never buy private, i know of someone that got stung for £500 plus £592 worth of charges i would have been jumping up and down about the charges but after a lot of legal advise he coughed up to own tittle of the car. 

Logbook loans

Logbook loans are loans secured on your vehicle, so the lender owns your vehicle until you pay the loan back. You can keep on using your vehicle as long as you repay the loan. However, logbook loans are expensive and risky and you should avoid them if you can.

How do logbook loans work?

Logbook loans are available on the high street and on the internet.

You can normally borrow between £500 and £50,000, depending on how much your car is worth. Although some firms will only lend up to half of your car’s value.

When you take out a logbook loan, you’ll usually be asked to hand over your vehicle’s logbook or vehicle registration document.

9 minutes ago, tradex said:

Correct.

Proving ownership of a vehicle for sale in the UK privately is as clear as mud, buy thru an auction and then it's not.

"Not many have the front to put a car up for sale knowing there's a huge bill looming, or that the car drives like a dog/smokes like a chimney."

:D:lol: stop it, I nearly choked on my coffee

Maybe in your experience. Not in mine 

12 minutes ago, EPV said:

Maybe in your experience. Not in mine 

Same here. 

At least with a private buyer you can extensively inspect and drive the junk before parting with your dough.  Unlike at the block.

If there's something wrong with it, you walk away. If the log book is not in their name or address, you walk away (but you can qualify this before you leave) 

No test drive- no purchase. (Same with Dealer Auction to be fair.)

Also I guess depends a bit on the sort of car as to the general type the seller is. 

56 minutes ago, NOACROSS said:

Also a bit huge amount depends on the sort of car as to the general type the seller is. 

Just edited this for you:)

Personally, if I have to view hundreds of cars every week, I want to do it in a nice warm auction hall drinking coffee with my mates!:D

Edited by met

1 hour ago, NOACROSS said:

Logbook loans

Logbook loans are loans secured on your vehicle, so the lender owns your vehicle until you pay the loan back. You can keep on using your vehicle as long as you repay the loan. However, logbook loans are expensive and risky and you should avoid them if you can.

How do logbook loans work?

Logbook loans are available on the high street and on the internet.

You can normally borrow between £500 and £50,000, depending on how much your car is worth. Although some firms will only lend up to half of your car’s value.

When you take out a logbook loan, you’ll usually be asked to hand over your vehicle’s logbook or vehicle registration document.

?? so its a stupid system and very open to abuse

24 minutes ago, met said:

Just edited this for you:)

Personally, if I have to view hundreds of cars every week, I want to do it in a nice warm auction hall drinking coffee with my mates!:D

Exactly and do the privates provide a Full English? I rest my case

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mark101 said:

Exactly and do the privates provide a Full English? I rest my case

Thanks for the edit MET.  My O.C.D is now punishing me severely  

I must admit I don’t care if my bod I send is warm or not ;0)

He often gets tea and cake and has the gaul to charge me an average of £13 a time for ‘lunch’!

a logbook loan is just a bill of sale, you keep the goods yet repay the loan, you dont repay the loan and the lender takes his goods back via the bill of sale, they dont need to put it on hpi, and dont, because the cars not on finance, if you buy the car they quite rightly have full title, you dont stand much chance of arguing, especially if your a trader, and no chance of getting anything off seller , what can you do ? credit check the seller, or, dont buy private.

Edited by have a word with the wife

36 minutes ago, have a word with the wife said:

a logbook loan is just a bill of sale, you keep the goods yet repay the loan, you dont repay the loan and the lender takes his goods back via the bill of sale, they dont need to put it on hpi, and dont, because the cars not on finance, if you buy the car they quite rightly have full title, you dont stand much chance of arguing, especially if your a trader, and no chance of getting anything off seller , what can you do ? credit check the seller, or, dont buy private.

Russian roulette?

17 hours ago, met said:

Russian roulette?

worse

the guns fully loaded

i believe its better to buy from a plc who will idemnify you againt the risk,i know you will only get what you paid and no betterment but its better than getting a letter through the post warning you its going to go all legal if you dont cough up 4g