Mojo121

BMW recall

I didn’t watch the Watchdog episode with this featured but does anyone know what’s causing these cars to stall/ catch fire?

Mixed reports I’ve seen have ranged from battery terminals degrading, faulty fuse box components and voltage spikes.

We dred taking one back for repairs after they’ve had it a couple of months, imagine 600,000 cars after 10 years!!

I think its to do with a poor connection behind the fuse box, we have fitted several of the so called "repair kits".

Its a proper pain in the arse for them. It will cost them big time i reckon.

There are two options available when previously i have ordered the parts, you can either buy the complete battery cable that runs from the battery in the boot straight to the fuse box behind the glove box - or buy a little repair section that you cut and crimp onto the existing battery cable behind the glove box.

I'm pretty sure if it was my own car and somebody else (BMW) were paying id be wanting a complete new cable running in.

#interioroutjob

The quality of German wiring is pisspoor. Anyone who’s ever seen the state of some of the wiring in 12 year old cars - some of it’s in absolute tatters - the only wiring problems I’ve ever seen are Zafira rear doors and the rest all have a Mercedes or BMW badge on the bonnet

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BHM said:

The quality of German wiring is pisspoor. Anyone who’s ever seen the state of some of the wiring in 12 year old cars - some of it’s in absolute tatters - the only wiring problems I’ve ever seen are Zafira rear doors and the rest all have a Mercedes or BMW badge on the bonnet

I had a zafira where all 5 doors needed wiring repairs, not only the locking but the speakers wires shorting had screwed up the head unit:D

1 hour ago, BHM said:

Corsa's, Fiat 500 doors, Jeeps anywhere...but I agree, BMW and Merc stuff does seem to be shocking for a brittle/broken wire. I even get some punters on favouring French over German after bad experiences which shows how widespread the crap build must be.

1 hour ago, grant8064 said:

Corsa's, Fiat 500 doors, Jeeps anywhere...but I agree, BMW and Merc stuff does seem to be shocking for a brittle/broken wire. I even get some punters on favouring French over German after bad experiences which shows how widespread the crap build must be.

Are you forgetting everyones favourite Grande Puntos which share the same head aches.

The only cars I have wiring issues every time is Grande Punto's and Corsa's, absolute nightmare.

11 hours ago, met said:

I had a zafira where all 5 doors needed wiring repairs, not only the locking but the speakers wires shorting had screwed up the head unit:D

Funnily enough just had this on a Zafira yesterday - I was scratching my head trying to work out why we couldn’t get sound from the radio then I happened to open a rear door and hey presto, music. Despite their reputation I get very little problems with Zafiras - anything is usually to do with lack of maintenance however today I’ll try to get to the bottom of the ABS/no Canbus communication problem this particular car also has :rolleyes: 

2 hours ago, BHM said:

Funnily enough just had this on a Zafira yesterday - I was scratching my head trying to work out why we couldn’t get sound from the radio then I happened to open a rear door and hey presto, music. Despite their reputation I get very little problems with Zafiras - anything is usually to do with lack of maintenance however today I’ll try to get to the bottom of the ABS/no Canbus communication problem this particular car also has :rolleyes: 

There's still a ready market for them, even the 'bangers'; and yes, when those speaker wires short it throws all sorts of errors. Back in the day you used to be able to buy door shut repair looms from Vauxhall but not sure if that's still the case.

Funnily enough I had to change a ABS pump on one too:unsure:

if the speedo is also playing up (i.e. doenst work) it's ABS unit, had one refurbed at ECU last week.

6 hours ago, SC Derby said:

if the speedo is also playing up (i.e. doenst work) it's ABS unit, had one refurbed at ECU last week.

Thanks but the speedo’s ok thankfully. ‘My’ Vauxhall man reckons a front wheel bearing has lost its magnetism (or some such shit) - we shall see.

2 minutes ago, BHM said:

Thanks but the speedo’s ok thankfully. ‘My’ Vauxhall man reckons a front wheel bearing has lost its magnetism (or some such shit) - we shall see.

Nah - defo the flux capacitor

45 minutes ago, David Ayers said:

Another f*****g spambot!

Was thinking the same when I seen it David   . 

Edited by Casper