Sign in to follow this  
Ocsltd

Punter requesting scanned copies of service records?

I'm sure this has been covered before, but had a fairly abrupt email asking for a scan of the latest mot and service records, what are your thoughts on this? 

Is this something you're happy to do?

Yeah thought it was a bit odd.

Will ignore his email.....

Company policy ..Fraud Protection/ due diligence ...ask the punter to supply photo ID,passport and driving licence and 3 copies of proof of address ,bank ,building society and HMRC.........If it is a classic car selling for a lot of money,that would be different.What car is it out of interest.

9 minutes ago, trade vet said:

Company policy ..Fraud Protection/ due diligence ...ask the punter to supply photo ID,passport and driving licence and 3 copies of proof of address ,bank ,building society and HMRC.........If it is a classic car selling for a lot of money,that would be different.What car is it out of interest.

2009 BMW 330i 

He’s got no need for a scanned mot cert when it can be checked online.

I'd be suspicious. MOT info online. I'd try and get him to visit, or call him and talk him through it. if he 'hasnt got time to talk', wait for a proper punter on it

Thanks for the replies, you've all echoed my thoughts.

I was going to reply and say that we don't send out 'sensitive' information, but they would be more than welcome to inspect the paperwork in our office, by appointment. But if he's a scam artist, which I suspect he is, then he's not worth my time.

If he's genuine, and serious about buying the car, he'll ring, but I suspect he won't.....

1 minute ago, Ocsltd said:

Thanks for the replies, you've all echoed my thoughts.

I was going to reply and say that we don't send out 'sensitive' information, but they would be more than welcome to inspect the paperwork in our office, by appointment. But if he's a scam artist, which I suspect he is, then he's not worth my time.

If he's genuine, and serious about buying the car, he'll ring, but I suspect he won't.....

I would not just ignore him. You don't know he is a scam artist. Some of these people are so misinformed about buying a car its unreal. They read a car buying guide from honest john and just end up getting ignored at 90% of places they contact.  Let him know it has a history, dates and mileages along with a current MOT and suggest he gives you a ring to discuss further. 

Anyone asking these sort of questions does not display actual typical buyer behaviour but it is what it is. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rory RSC said:

I would not just ignore him. You don't know he is a scam artist. Some of these people are so misinformed about buying a car its unreal. They read a car buying guide from honest john and just end up getting ignored at 90% of places they contact.  Let him know it has a history, dates and mileages along with a current MOT and suggest he gives you a ring to discuss further. 

Anyone asking these sort of questions does not display actual typical buyer behaviour but it is what it is. 

I agree. Until someone has proven themselves to me to be a complete tool I think I can sell them a car. I do also agree about someone ringing as well, if they are serious. 

15 minutes ago, twerp said:

Don't hand out V5 doc ref numbers 

Still see them in adverts a quite a lot. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Rory RSC said:

Still see them in adverts a quite a lot. 

Yes, but have been used to take out log book loans against cars

• Like 1