EPV

High Owner Cars

And also, servicing intervals are so long now on modern stuff, even a high miler may only have a few stamps - still FSH but 3 stamps doesn't look full.

Three owners or less for me when buying- or maybe four if something else is right or unusual about it (e.g. sporty stuff) or in PX- before I get a bit odd/don't want it.

Less and less people ask nowadays I'm finding.  The older people are still really worried about it. Even on an older car.

With regards to no service history, I'm sure we've all traced some history before, or found the service book squirreled away somewhere. Not the end of the world depending on the car.

26 minutes ago, NOACROSS said:

Three owners or less for me when buying- or maybe four if something else is right or unusual about it (e.g. sporty stuff) or in PX- before I get a bit odd/don't want it.

Less and less people ask nowadays I'm finding.  The older people are still really worried about it. Even on an older car.

With regards to no service history, I'm sure we've all traced some history before, or found the service book squirreled away somewhere. Not the end of the world depending on the car.

I bought one a few weeks back with no history - I dont normally but it looked like it had been looked after so I took the punt. Got it back and found the book in with the spare wheel with a full history, which was nice! However, its seems as difficult to sell a FSH Chevy Spark as one with none.....

26 minutes ago, Matt Reid said:

I bought one a few weeks back with no history - I dont normally but it looked like it had been looked after so I took the punt. Got it back and found the book in with the spare wheel with a full history, which was nice! However, its seems as difficult to sell a FSH Chevy Spark as one with none.....

you have to sell it on price

the number plate does the rest

older people love these on a newer plate than they thought they could afford:)

Just done a dipper on a 10 plate hatch with 6 owners.

They justified the high owners to themselves and still went ahead. Why? Only new shape model about in good condition for that kind of money. A lot of people don't care if the plates new enough, it looks good and, most importantly, they can get it in their budget. It's gonna impress the neighbours a lot more than a one owner 57 plate old shape in their eyes.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, grant8064 said:

Just done a dipper on a 10 plate hatch with 6 owners.

They justified the high owners to themselves and still went ahead. Why? Only new shape model about in good condition for that kind of money. A lot of people don't care if the plates new enough, it looks good and, most importantly, they can get it in their budget. It's gonna impress the neighbours a lot more than a one owner 57 plate old shape in their eyes.

That man speaks the truth

So it seems the consensus is, as ever with car sales; “it depends

:)

10 minutes ago, EPV said:

So it seems the consensus is, as ever with car sales; “it depends

:)

+1

Owners.....I remember when you could get away with all sorts........one titled owner.....Sir Robert McAlpine,.....even ex police panda  cars were always stated as being owned by the chief constable .....punters believed it and it was legal.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, trade vet said:

Owners.....I remember when you could get away with all sorts........one titled owner.....Sir Robert McAlpine,.....even ex police panda  cars were always stated as being owned by the chief constable .....punters believed it and it was legal.

I am titled..... it's Mr.

I've only ever bought one with no history a Fiesta Zetec S, you could clearly seen it had work done with all new brakes, clean air filter and clean oil on the dipstick. I sold no problem and its amazing how many people buy a car without even asking about history. Then you get others who wont buy a car because it missed a service. 

On ‎06‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 11:14 PM, Mark101 said:

Because there’s no history doesn’t mean there has not been any servicing, just that the owner was unorganised or not bothered about keeping the records up to date.

You get a feel for a goodun or a totter and if the car looks right and the price reflects the lack of proveable servicing - I’m in

If you've got time, try and track down the service history. Its happened to me a few times buying at BCA with no books or service history only to track down copies from the main dealer. sometimes ex company cars don't carry the history as the driver couldn't be arsed, its not his car, but 9 times out of 10 it has a book full of main dealer stamps, particularly ex lease vehicles

6 minutes ago, RH Trading said:

If you've got time, try and track down the service history. Its happened to me a few times buying at BCA with no books or service history only to track down copies from the main dealer. sometimes ex company cars don't carry the history as the driver couldn't be arsed, its not his car, but 9 times out of 10 it has a book full of main dealer stamps, particularly ex lease vehicles

Yes, good advice - when I get a "decent" car, i.e. one you'd expect to have seen the inside of a main dealer workshop, whilst it's operator sips latte and a Highland cookie - I often get at least a service printout.  Especially true of lease or company vehicles as you say.

Then again, they say nothing handles like a company car - so perhaps they're not the best! 

• Like 1