Sign in to follow this  
Earunder

Ebay Enquiries - Let 'em rip guys

15 minutes ago, EPV said:

These are reasons garnered from months of reading the experiences and opinions of some of the established dealers on here, Lawgistics opinions and common sense of how trading standards view dealers trying to circumnavigation the CRA. 

Reading books and articles is one only one part of creating and developing a business, much more is gained through the doing.  My moral compass is spot on and anyone who has ever dealt with me will vouch for that (in this and any former role). Anyone who views this car will have every impefection pointed out, noted on documentation and signed for by both parties, can't make it any more square than that.

Lawgistics - some great advice, good articles but they are not the be all and end all - my lawyer is an ex motor dealer franchisee, I haven't used Lawgistics personally.

Again, I do not condone any bad practice, I do not believe in pulling the wool over anyone's eyes;  I am merely selling a car, clearly and accurately described with all its faults - how many dealers would do that? In fact, I know of many whom would retail this car - 10 mins with a navy blue sharpie and I could enhance the look of this car to the point no one would be the wiser until after a couple of car washes.  Which would I prefer, open and honest up front or a blatant cover up?

I will be taking some pictures later of the affected areas and you will probably wonder what all the fuss is about.

Edited by Mark101

3 minutes ago, Mark101 said:

Reading books and articles is one only one part of creating and developing a business, much more is gained through the doing.  My moral compass is spot on and anyone who has ever dealt with me will vouch for that (in this and any former role). Anyone who views this car will have every impefection pointed out, noted on documentation and signed for by both parties, can't make it any more square than that.

Lawgistics - some great advice, good articles but they are not the be all and end all - my lawyer is an ex motor dealer franchisee, I haven't used Lawgistics personally.

Again, I do not condone any bad practice, I do not believe in pulling the wool over anyone's eyes;  I am merely selling a car, clearly and accurately described with all its faults - how many dealers would do that? In fact, I know of many whom would retail this car - 10 mins with a navy blue sharpie and I could enhance the look of this car to the point no one would be the wiser until after a couple of car washes.  Which would I prefer, open and honest up front or a blatant cover up?

I will be taking some pictures later of the affected areas and you will probably wonder what all the fuss is about.

Mark, for some reason you keep referring to your honesty, integrity etc. I presume because you think I am questioning that. I’m not. Your moral compass can point wherever it likes mate, that’s neither here nor there for the point i’m trying to make  

But I think it’s worthwhile pointing out that how you are proposing to handle this sale is leaving you exposed. Again, each to their own. People can see both sides and make their own mind up. 

EPV is completely right here Mark.  You 'may' well get away with it once, twice or whatever- but no matter what you say in your advert, the customer has all the rights and it will come back to bite you on the arse eventually if you do this. This game IS NOT LIKE THE OLD DAYS ;0)

Also, I'm sure if Trading Standards etc. saw the ad, they could well protest your wording too.

All unlikely maybe, but 'unlikely' has a habit of occurring in this game I've found.

• Like 1

I've only skimmed the above and don't really have an opinion.

Would I buy it? No too much money. More importantly i'd just be asking 'why isn't he going with it himself...roof must be intermittently f***ed'.

Why don't you just go with it yourself? Bit of paint and tidying is easy. Nice miles, looks pretty, perfect cheapo cab for the local Barratt/Council estate. 

• Like 1

I am considering this Grant

Trouble is, the likelihood is I will make the same money selling as is for less, or once done for more.

Having it done is a couple of weeks and I reckon next weeks (supposed) weather might clear it out.  I have just taken more pics and will upload, from 10 paces it looks well and the drive is amazing, truly does drive brilliantly and I've never been a Pug fan

3 hours ago, EPV said:

Not given the impression that a poorly worded advert and a cleverly worded piece of paper means I can sell trade only deals to consumers and not have any comebacks. 

Cleverly worded piece of paper... Some dealers PDI come to mind. 

20 minutes ago, Mark101 said:

What do you reckon Guys?

its a shed

ive never seen so many marks on a door swage

the door  shut chips are to be expected

wants both doors painting at least

chuck it back in the ring and hope to get your money back or send it to paint

people who buy these want perfection you know that but you are trying to kid yourself

2 minutes ago, s and b said:

its a shed

ive never seen so many marks on a door swage

the door  shut chips are to be expected

wants both doors painting at least

chuck it back in the ring and hope to get your money back or send it to paint

people who buy these want perfection you know that but you are trying to kid yourself

You don't want it then :lol:

49 minutes ago, Mark101 said:

I am considering this Grant

Trouble is, the likelihood is I will make the same money selling as is for less, or once done for more.

But selling it once painted, tidied and prepped is going to be so so much easier than dealing with a load of pretend traders offering you stupid cash deals or scummy punters thinking they can snap up a bargain. Aside from the moral/legal stuff that everyone's banging on about it'll just be an easier quicker deal. Your pitch is awkward because it's priced somewhere in between retail and trade money but won't appeal to a good buyer in either camp IMO. 

Get it prepped and sold properly would be my route, otherwise it's no different to those 'traders' buying from BCA and throwing a bucket of water and £200 onto their stock.

(oh and stop buying Pug 308 CC's blind from the block...you've had a very lucky escape IMO)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, grant8064 said:

(oh and stop buying Pug 308 CC's blind from the block...you've had a very lucky escape IMO)

Cheers Grant, wise words - it's a long story but lesson learned.

I viewed a dozen cars on site earlier that day and placed a proxy bid on a Grade 1 VW Fox with 30K 1 owner.  As it happened, I was back in time to watch it go through and it was due next but nothing - long pause, no cars.  I thought stuff this and cancelled my proxy by which time I clicked back on and saw it driving out, probably missing a good car (I will never know).  Anyway, I had two away in the last week and only have 7 in stock - In my desperation, this looked well, appraisal seemed reasonable (that's a joke), nice mileage, full history and two owners - CAP CLN think was £2,900 and bidding was rife, so took a blind gamble.  When I collected, windows had been left down an inch all round and it was hammering it down, thought they must be knackered but no, up they went easily?? I drove home and it was an absolute joy, smooth, and responsive, thought bonus.  Weather dried out and took another look - wow! and that's where we are now.

Might get an estimate for a full tidy - what do you reckon - £500? + MOT + Service + Warranty, there's still £600 in it for me (not enough now I am rapidy hitting the VAT threshold but this one can just squeeze in).

For me, I don't want to wait two weeks for prep, what with all this good weather due!

Thanks for your input Grant, much appreciated.

Find someone to do a cheapo Matt Black wrap on it. Paint Alloys black. Charge  £500 more. 

Cut me in when you sell it in record breaking time.....

8 minutes ago, grant8064 said:

But selling it once painted, tidied and prepped is going to be so so much easier than dealing with a load of pretend traders offering you stupid cash deals or scummy punters thinking they can snap up a bargain. Aside from the moral/legal stuff that everyone's banging on about it'll just be an easier quicker deal. Your pitch is awkward because it's priced somewhere in between retail and trade money but won't appeal to a good buyer in either camp IMO. 

Get it prepped and sold properly would be my route, otherwise it's no different to those 'traders' buying from BCA and throwing a bucket of water and £200 onto their stock.

Good advice imo, along with S&B.

Think about the type of person who is likely to be buying a convertible, a bit of a "look at me" type. I'm guilty of that, I've had a couple of verts in my time, lairy colours etc. So, the look at me types will not want to live with paintwork like that nor will they want to get a nice car for the summer and think they've got the hassle of taking it into a bodyshop straight away.

Like Grant says, you're stuck between a rock and a hard place at £3,295, too expensive for trade (which was my original point what feels like several days ago) and the type of buyer won't see a grand below retail as a good thing, they'll see it as hassle and there will be better examples out there where they don't have to give their new car up for a week whilst it gets painted. If it was a Diesel Ford Galaxy, that would be a different story, someone who wants a cavernous beast to throw all their shit and kids in, cheap on fuel and who gives a toss how many paint chips it has as the missus will only add another 5 each time she goes out.

There are 12 similar cars nationwide, ranging from £4-5k depending on mileage, spec etc, just on AT. If you want to compete, you're going to have to prep it. If you want to move it on, you're going to have to shove it back in the auction, or, sell it to a proper trader and cover your arse with copies of trade insurance etc.

Just my opinion, fwiw.

I have reworded my ad, changed pics and link to video.  I will see what the weekend does and failing that will get it painted.  After everything is said and done - it is spot on mileage and history and worth +£4k once sorted.

Fingers crossed, will keep you all posted.

Is there a middle ground? Those doors are quite bad but a lot of that may polish touch in, and then go somewhere in the middle price wise? Yes 

6 minutes ago, SC Derby said:

Is there a middle ground? Those doors are quite bad but a lot of that may polish touch in, and then go somewhere in the middle price wise? Yes 

Like I said in an earlier reply to James (EPV) - I don't want to be accused of hiding anything -but in fact, you're probably right.  Not wishing to do my Liam Neeson impression but I do have a particular set of skills, I am sort of considering scotching the rear quarter and 2K re lacquer and touching in all the little chips, what I don't want to happen is for this to turn in to a major project as my garage already has three cars in it and my driveway another five, it would mean taking up road space (obviously only wife's and my car taxed) and at the moment I have neighbours on baord because everything is off the road.

Thanks for the suggestion SC Derby, much appreciated and I will say it again, I appreciate all your feedback and taking the time to help.

50 minutes ago, Mark101 said:

I have reworded my ad, changed pics and link to video.  I will see what the weekend does and failing that will get it painted.  After everything is said and done - it is spot on mileage and history and worth +£4k once sorted.

Fingers crossed, will keep you all posted.

Mark, are those pointy shoes you are wearing :P

An hours mop and a bit of touching in would do it wonders... I would mop it, touch it the marks and re-video it with a positive but honest sales pitch.  

• Like 1

If its low miles, with good history and low ownership and the roof works OK I would sort the bodywork and give it a proper valet and sell it for full retail. As others have said here, you will just get wankers who will try to get it for nothing

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mark101 said:

Might get an estimate for a full tidy - what do you reckon - £500? + MOT + Service + Warranty, there's still £600 in it for me (not enough now I am rapidy hitting the VAT threshold but this one can just squeeze in).

For me, I don't want to wait two weeks for prep, what with all this good weather due!

Thanks for your input Grant, much appreciated.

My understanding of the VAT rules may be wrong, but I wasnt under the impression that you got a threshold before you started paying VAT? I Think its based on a rolling 12 months trading? I stand ready to be corrected

33 minutes ago, Arfur Dealy said:

Mark, are those pointy shoes you are wearing :P

Nah, you must be seeing things.  I only wear my pointies with my pin stripes :D

1 hour ago, Mark101 said:

Nah, you must be seeing things.  I only wear my pointies with my pin stripes :D

They look very pointy to me........

I skimmed over this and WOW. The way I see it..... The car needs paint, mark Don't wanna paint it...... no big deal, he's clearly stated the car has paint defects. I'm not sure what all the rest of this noise is. I don't know how the hell trading standards have been brought in to this and how have pages have been written about faults, trading standards and all this other breeze?

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, MSP Motors said:

I skimmed over this and WOW. The way I see it..... The car needs paint, mark Don't wanna paint it...... no big deal, he's clearly stated the car has paint defects. I'm not sure what all the rest of this noise is. I don't know how the hell trading standards have been brought in to this and how have pages have been written about faults, trading standards and all this other breeze?

Maybe cos you skimmed it mate! 

Apart from all the carfuffle about how your trying to sell it, why for the love of god did you buy that in the first place, it needs a bucket load and some more paint, its not the best color even if it was a clean example, i am sure i dont need to beat you up any more sure you have been banging your head enough. 

Aw and those VW Fox for me are a disaster the 1.2 has that shockingly bad 3c engine which falls apart if you do more than 45mph and the stupid design only has two seats in the back but its ok the boffins at VW put two cup holders bang in the middle of the seats.

45 minutes ago, EPV said:

Maybe cos you skimmed it mate! 

And the “Trade Sale” aspect doesn’t set a good example. You can’t have contradictory advertising, 12 months mot, drives great blah blah Trade Sale. It’s just wrong and sets a bad example. 

Also, the eBay advert isn’t on a business account. It needs to be on a business account.