Sign in to follow this  
AutoJacob

Searching for all pug experts

Picked up a nice Metalic black Pug 207 for quite a bargain today from BCA, driven 30 miles home go for the junction to exit and BOOM..(STOP! OIL PRESSURE TOO LOW).

I immediately think God damn, this is why it was so cheap and check oil again and it's nearly full so I chuck a bit more in and make it touch the fill line.

Limped it back home after letting it cool down and the warning & lights seem to go away when revving and come back when letting the car idle, Faulty oil pressure switch maybe?

It seems to have a oil leak from the rocker cover gasket and head gasket area of the engine and I can hear a little bit of a knock from what I presume is the bottom end, also a bit of condensation on the oil cap.

What do you think, A lemon or a bargain?

6 hours ago, tradex said:

What engine is it? It's fairly important bit of info" on these when trying to do blind diagnosis. 

It's the 1.4 engine which I haven't had any problems with up to now but this has more miles than I would usually buy (117K).

I'll try a new oil pressure switch, oil filter and oil change then go from there.

oil and filter, blast the sump off and check the strainer is clear.... then bang it in the auction. 

Change oil pressure switch, had one last week but was an easy diagnosis... as soon as I unplugged wire I got covered in oil. 

I would drop the car - it will come back and bite you I reckon but I am no mechanic.

117K 207 my first thought is: it's finished.

The knocking is likely from any part that relies on oil pressure, big ends etc. Is it worse when warm? Guessing that's why it was super cheap; some traders heard the knock you didn't... or they were just put off by the miles.

Hi Auto Jacob

I am not sure how it is possible these days to buy cheapies from the block,then retail them and make money.Maybe if you bought in volume and had your own workshop,you would have a better chance.When buyers fees were £50 you could just re block the bad ones and take a hit,but that was long ago.Most of the guys I know who used to do this,no longer bother.If you are making it work,then well done to you.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, trade vet said:

Hi Auto Jacob

I am not sure how it is possible these days to buy cheapies from the block,then retail them and make money.Maybe if you bought in volume and had your own workshop,you would have a better chance.When buyers fees were £50 you could just re block the bad ones and take a hit,but that was long ago.Most of the guys I know who used to do this,no longer bother.If you are making it work,then well done to you.

Agreed, unless you can pick them up stupidly cheap, trading bangers from auction is nigh on impossible nowadays. By the time you’ve added the few hundred quid buyers fee it’s wiped your profit. What can seam cheap on the hammer soon becomes retail price by the time you drive it out.

Lemon. 117k on a 207 is more than enough. Hope you do get it fixed up, Hopefully you have a friendly mechanic who wont just play 'parts darts'! Then get rid

15 hours ago, AutoJacob said:

Picked up a nice Metalic black Pug 207 for quite a bargain today from BCA, driven 30 miles home go for the junction to exit and BOOM..(STOP! OIL PRESSURE TOO LOW).

I immediately think God damn, this is why it was so cheap and check oil again and it's nearly full so I chuck a bit more in and make it touch the fill line.

Limped it back home after letting it cool down and the warning & lights seem to go away when revving and come back when letting the car idle, Faulty oil pressure switch maybe?

It seems to have a oil leak from the rocker cover gasket and head gasket area of the engine and I can hear a little bit of a knock from what I presume is the bottom end, also a bit of condensation on the oil cap.

What do you think, A lemon or a bargain?

More trouble than it's worth. Back into the auction and take a hit. It happens, move on.

oil filter, common problem, widget inside moves, youve got a bargain, headgasket weep is standard, wipe it off, change the filter, brake clean spray the mayo out of the cap and get it sold :)

12 hours ago, Mark101 said:

I would drop the car - it will come back and bite you I reckon but I am no mechanic.

:rolleyes:

• Like 1

French dross, I hate it. Somehow I’ve ended up with a 1.6 16v engined Shitron.

All seemed too good to be true.

It was, “Ping!” EML makes an appearance and it’s Code P0011. That’s tomorrow’s job :rolleyes:

I suppose it could be worse - it could be one of VAG’s finest acting up :wacko:

11 minutes ago, BHM said:

It was, “Ping!” EML makes an appearance and it’s Code P0011. That’s tomorrow’s job :rolleyes:

Chain engine? 

23 hours ago, have a word with the wife said:

oil filter, common problem, widget inside moves, youve got a bargain, headgasket weep is standard, wipe it off, change the filter, brake clean spray the mayo out of the cap and get it sold :)

:rolleyes:

Yeah bang on, replaced oil pressure switch and put a man oil filter on, oil change also with 10w-40 (£11 total), job done and runs sweet as a nut.

Also noticed that the 118K was in km! Switched to miles and it has 73K on the clock!!!

Yep it was definitely a bargain and a damn good buy!

On 3/20/2018 at 10:26 AM, trade vet said:

Hi Auto Jacob

It's a tough game but I'm surviving.

We do all repairs in house so save a few quid there.. then again my overheads are a lot less than you guys on here so that's the key to making it work when dealing with cheapies.

45 minutes ago, AutoJacob said:

Yeah bang on, replaced oil pressure switch and put a man oil filter on, oil change also with 10w-40 (£11 total), job done and runs sweet as a nut.

Also noticed that the 118K was in km! Switched to miles and it has 73K on the clock!!!

Yep it was definitely a bargain and a damn good buy!

It's a tough game but I'm surviving.

We do all repairs in house so save a few quid there.. then again my overheads are a lot less than you guys on here so that's the key to making it work when dealing with cheapies.

excellent, really pleased for you :D