Sign in to follow this  
Ocsltd

N/S of vehicle has been repaired - mot advisory??

Just looking at the mot history on a car I'm interested in, on a previous mot it states, n/s of vehicle has been repaired. Not seen that before and haven't seen the car.

I know it's impossible to say for sure, but is it more likely that as it suggests, it's been accident damaged and repaired, or is it more likely a sharp edge has been taped over and the mot tester is covering their arse?

Thoughts?

Some MOT guys treat advisories like 'notes'? Let's be grateful they don't have to test drive them?

God knows, we need to be inside the mind of the tester to answer this. 

38 minutes ago, met said:

Some MOT guys treat advisories like 'notes'? Let's be grateful they don't have to test drive them?

Yep, some looking for work, some covering their arses and some fussy failed spiteful mechanics.

1 hour ago, tradex said:

That's an odd one, unless it's a Disco and is a patchwork quilt underneath, thus covering the tester for integrity of previous welding repairs?

Yeah I haven't come across it before, it's a Renault Clio.

1 hour ago, Stalker said:

MOT tester with a chip on his shoulder.

More than likely, trouble is, it's a great big dirty stain on the mot history now...

2 hours ago, Ocsltd said:

............ it's a great big dirty stain on the mot history now...

This. Because of how MOT guys can use advisories to make 'notes' on a car you have to thoroughly check MOT history, because any 'howlers' will leave a car sitting dead in the water as punters make their pre sales 'checks' through it. For example, last week I ran a check on a Scenic auto I fancied, and its last years MOT the tester noted "auto box not operating correctly"? Hmmm?

3 hours ago, tradex said:

Well, Clio's are our bag and have never a Mark 2 that needed welding,ever:blink:?

....as a first car though, I've seen more than few that have been thru hedges or a lot worse:D

This one is a mk3 ;)

28 minutes ago, met said:

This. Because of how MOT guys can use advisories to make 'notes' on a car you have to thoroughly check MOT history, because any 'howlers' will leave a car sitting dead in the water as punters make their pre sales 'checks' through it. For example, last week I ran a check on a Scenic auto I fancied, and its last years MOT the tester noted "auto box not operating correctly"? Hmmm?

I haven't seen the car, but what's annoying is it could just be something of nothing, a bit of overspray from a small bumper scuff, or something more sinister like it's had a whack on the corner..... Either way it doesn't read well.

52 minutes ago, tradex said:

Ahh, the old Mk3, 2005 onwards, yes those old barges rot like a

Image result for lancia beta in a Russian salt mine

Renault's just don't go rotten in our experience?

Best thing to do, is get it MOT'd again.

I assumed it wasn’t referring to rot. I wonder if there was some over spray on a spring ir something. It only got mentioned on one mot, so perhaps the tester was having ‘one of those days’! :rolleyes:

If youre Concerned, A prospective buyer will be too. I've not seen it before, and I bet no one else on here will have done either. I think it could put someone off. SO it either needs to be cheap to take into consideration you have a smaller potential marketplace or just avoided. Which is what I would do. No shortage of clios which dont have that on the MOT history.

Yeah it’s a shame as it’s quite a desirable car, 2010 Renaultsport Clio 200, 20k miles, desirable Cup pack and Recaro’s which aren’t worn!! Good history, grade 2 etc, but probably best avoided as it would plant that seed of doubt with any potential buyer, especially on that type of car!!

It’s a UKCGR car as well which rings one or two alarm bells....

2 hours ago, Ocsltd said:

I haven't seen the car, but what's annoying is it could just be something of nothing, a bit of overspray from a small bumper scuff, or something more sinister like it's had a whack on the corner..... Either way it doesn't read well.

Exactly, and whether you like it or not 'punters' will now require an explanation if they see something like that in the MOT history; and probably quite rightly so. Perhaps MOT testers should just make their observations to the person that presents the car rather than jot them down as advisories as this gives them more gravitas?

32 minutes ago, Ocsltd said:

Yeah it’s a shame as it’s quite a desirable car, 2010 Renaultsport Clio 200, 20k miles, desirable Cup pack and Recaro’s which aren’t worn!! Good history, grade 2 etc, but probably best avoided as it would plant that seed of doubt with any potential buyer, especially on that type of car!!

It’s a UKCGR car as well which rings one or two alarm bells....

is UKCGR the BCA equivalent to Manheim 'auction plus'?

10 minutes ago, met said:

Exactly, and whether you like it or not 'punters' will now require an explanation if they see something like that in the MOT history; and probably quite rightly so. Perhaps MOT testers should just make their observations to the person that presents the car rather than jot them down as advisories as this gives them more gravitas?

I’m not sure as I don’t know what Manheim’s ‘auction plus’ is?

How about this for advisories, brake noise?? record of timing belt change...I guess thats a plus and a minus!

mot.PNG

15 hours ago, met said:

Ukcgr is all the scrap from we buy any car which is now owned by BCA

On 24/02/2018 at 11:14 PM, NoMargin said:

How about this for advisories, brake noise?? record of timing belt change...I guess thats a plus and a minus!

mot.PNG

There's a guy a who clearly hates his job...

...hang on that's all testers right?

1 hour ago, grant8064 said:

There's a guy a who clearly hates his job...

...hang on that's all testers right?

Or he's got a sales pitch next door..... ;)

It is what it is. It’s just a fail, pass or pass with minors instead of advisories. Nowt new to my eyes.

1 hour ago, BHM said:

It is what it is. It’s just a fail, pass or pass with minors instead of advisories. Nowt new to my eyes.

Yep, sounds like a whole load of fuck all to me. 

let me put it in a nutshell for you

how many traders do you know who do the full pdi prior to dropping it off for an mot

now these people that dont are possibly going to find dangerous written on their failed cars mot history

how will that look as mr peeky boo checks the cars history prior to purchase

i am the same person who moaned that previous mot garages are now not listed on the mot history

an mot history reads like a book to those that want an easy life

just saying

I was checking an mot history last night, advisory on last mot at 78k miles was, both front floor pans thin. :o

Never seen that one before....